Sign in to follow this  
Fi5kuS

Big screen vs triple monitor setup

I will send you Pics if you want,.... please just send me a PM. and I will email them to you.

John.

Just my thoughts, the stretching of the outer two monitors does take some getting used to, but over time you get used to it. One of my mates has a large single monitor, but always seems to find excuses to come over and use mine instead!

I cannoit see myself going back to a single monitor, and the bonus is if you use your PC for other things other than FSX having muliple websites and spreadsheets all on display at once is great !

Cheers

Ps Havent noticed much real performance hit with 3 screens either, but have learnt to turn off the FPS and not get obsessed by them (too much !)

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

I'm very happy with my triple 27 inch benq gaming monitor setup. I've seen some projector setups that look really cool, but I don't think a single big screen would give me the same field of view.

I used to run a Samsung 27" 1920 x 1080 over the last two years, this past weekend, finally gave in and picked up a Samsung 28" 4K U590D monitor and my jaw "dropped to the ground" when I fired up pmdg777 on FSX on 4K resolution  3840 X 2160 UHD (Ultra High Definition)...amazing vivid colors that I have not seen on FSX before...

Gotta vote for a single large screen here.  For about 2 years, I ran FSX with three Samsung 27-inch 1080P monitors.  I became tired of the peripheral distortion of the side monitors, along with the decrease in performance vs. a single screen.  Since then, I have switched to a single 42-inch 1080P HDTV (and P3D), and I won't go back.  I like the increase in performance of a single monitor, and the fact that for the general aviation aircraft that I mostly fly, get gauges that are nearly actual size.  The future for me will likely be a single large 4K monitor/TV.

Cheers,

Gerald

My setup uses 3 30" lcd HD tv's. I uses Denali' Distortian fix and the wide outside view looks great.

I started with 1 15" monitor 14 years ago. Then I added 2 more . Looked great back than.

Then I bought 1 21" monitor. Later 2 21" extra.

Etc etc.

Everytime 1 bigger monitor looks more appealing till I start missing the immersion.

Therefore I will always end up with a 3 monitor outside view.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Don't forget that peripheral vision immersion also applies to the vertical dimension as well. I get a much greater feeling of height with a big TV compared to my previous 3X24's. Flying through a sea of clouds, with the earth just visible way below, in spot view is just amazing with a big TV.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I used to run a Samsung 27" 1920 x 1080 over the last two years, this past weekend, finally gave in and picked up a Samsung 28" 4K U590D monitor and my jaw "dropped to the ground" when I fired up pmdg777 on FSX on 4K resolution  3840 X 2160 UHD (Ultra High Definition)...amazing vivid colors that I have not seen on FSX before...

What graphics card du you have then? Do you have to use DSR to run FSX in that resolution or does it become an option when you have a 4K screen?

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

What graphics card du you have then? Do you have to use DSR to run FSX in that resolution or does it become an option when you have a 4K screen?

I have a single EVGA 660ti card and surprisingly, it is able to support running 4K at max resolution.  I am not familiar with DSR and of course not running with it...performance wise, I did not see any frame rate degradation that I already had from 1920 x 1080 to UDH 3840 x 2160, but you gotta see it to believe, the 777 panels are just plain gorgeous!

I have a single EVGA 660ti card and surprisingly, it is able to support running 4K at max resolution.  I am not familiar with DSR and of course not running with it...performance wise, I did not see any frame rate degradation that I already had from 1920 x 1080 to UDH 3840 x 2160, but you gotta see it to believe, the 777 panels are just plain gorgeous!

That sounds awsome. I'll think my next purchase will be an 28" or 32" 4K screen then.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

But isn't a little weird that if your graphics card have to produce 4x as many pixels, it doesn't struggle one bit?

And I ask again, does ultra high resolution become available within FSX when you connect a 4K monitor, or do you have to make adjustments elsewhere?

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I was surprised how well my GTX670 handled triple screens - suspect using capability that was previously unused.

Video memory in the graphics card is also important - 2GB on a GTX670 is just enough for me at 6000*1080 but 3GB would be better.

I get good results and frame rates in P3D and FSX,

XPlane 64 would probably work but I can't get the viewpoint back far enough...having a lot of trouble getting back into XPlane...

DCS works well.

One issue with using Eyefinity, the desktop tends to get screwed up - really need to tell Windows desktop to only use the central screen somehow.

And some programs, such as VLC, get confused and keep spanning multiple screens when I don't want them to.

So if Flight Simming was a part-time activity, I'd go single BIG screen, for 95% simming can't beat the panoramic view of 3 screens (IMHO).

Cheers

Keith

But isn't a little weird that if your graphics card have to produce 4x as many pixels, it doesn't struggle one bit?

And I ask again, does ultra high resolution become available within FSX when you connect a 4K monitor, or do you have to make adjustments elsewhere?

Not really weird at all, remember, FSX and other games out there today are being "up-scaled" to 4K only at this time since most games that I know of not natively written in 4K code.

With regard to struggling frame rate, I believe FSX is still CPU clock speed bound vs the newer games that are multiple core & multi-video card bound...so basically my single 660ti with the newest Nvidia driver detects that my 4K monitor can display a resolution of 3840x2160 and it basically scales to the that display mode, but is able to maintain the same frame rate much like when I was on 1920x1080...by the way at 4K, my average FPS is about 25 to 30 depending on where I am...you know the drill.  Also, don't forget to adjust your display settings in FSX to the new 4K resolution of 3840x2160 after you've loaded the game.

So in other words, if you a an flight simmer, the 4K monitor investment, with a fairly decent medium power video card like my 660ti and an i7 cpu can make the FSX vivid video experience take you to another world, so to speak...very gorgeous...believe me, after seeing FSX on 4K, you would not want to go back, you will be hooked.

However, there is caveat if you run other games like Crysis3, ARMA3, BF4, etc...your frame rate at 60+ fps@ultra settings at 1920x1080, will drop down to single digits at 4K 3840x2160 as the video cards struggles & is hard at work trying to push out and refresh 8 billion pixels per second... interesting differences in how older software can run better vs newer code on the 4K...

One issue with using Eyefinity, the desktop tends to get screwed up - really need to tell Windows desktop to only use the central screen somehow.

Huh?  I use Eyefinity with three monitors and aside from the (recently) atrocious drivers after 14.4 i have never had a Windows issue.  You can consign the task bar to a single screen, whichever screen you like, not sure how the desktop is screwed up.

FSX looks great in 5760x1080, but you will have issues with 2d panels, both being stretched and getting a spinning death cursor, both are fixable.  You will also take a fairly sizeable performance hit, I imagine that it would be roughly the same as running on a 4K monitor. 

Ian R Tyldesley