Sign in to follow this  
Fi5kuS

Big screen vs triple monitor setup

Hi folks!

I've seen some pretty nice youtube videos on people having a triple monitor setup. That said, I know plenty of simmers simply just use a big flat screen TV. I mean, the range of view is extraordinary with a triple monitor setup, but how do you compare it? I will probably go for one of these setups one day, but now I'm really insecure...

For instance, I'm currently using this 24 inch monitor from BenQ but it has rather thick edges so If I buy two identical monitors and put them next to each other, the gap between each monitor may be rather big. 

https://www.komplett.no/benq-24-led-gl2460/769329

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

You will probably regret it...

I have 3 x 23 inch 1920x1080 LG´s in Eyefinity. Looks OK, but 1200 would be better.

Now I want to try a 4K monitor. 

The madness is neverending, LOL!

:wacko:

You have also to consider your overal system power, i lost 40 % fps approximately when i switch from 1 screen to surround on 3 screen. In some scenario especially with rain and overcast cloud, i have to revert back to one screen to maintain fluidity which negate the interest to have 3 screen. On the other hand, in thoses scenarios, there is nothing to see on the side screen often.

Another issue of 3 screen is the distorsion on side screen which reduce immersion. There is one thread about a tool to eliminate this but i have never used it as i think it could reduce again my fps.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

I too was considering adding 2 further 27 inch monitors to my existing monitor. I was nervous about the extra cost and loosing performance even with the GTX780 I upgraded to about 3 months ago.  I recently moved and had the chance to play with a 42 inch LED that we were not using and I have to say I haven't looked back. I was thinking about putting TrackIR on my Christmas list as were getting close :)

I now use my 27 inch monitor on the PC that I am running PFPX, EFB & ASN

Richard

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I've seen some pretty nice youtube videos on people having a triple monitor setup.

I have a 3 X 24" Dell monitors I got for around $200 each.. totalling $600 and I love it... I can't go back to single monitor no matter how big it is...  Flying the PMDG 777 or the Aersoft Airbus, the VC views are like being on the inside of these aircraft...vision is mostly  the three windows (one to the left and two in front of you). The peripheral vision.

a large monitor gives you more sky ....

9696818378_3c6e26d396_h.jpg

8368582610_c0c4f27673_h.jpg

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I have screenshots there...but I can't post any links anymore... need to find an alternate hosting site.

Hi Manny,

I use OZx Image Hosting - http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/. Donationware.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim.. I figured out howto post from flickr... I have too many screenshots loaded there.. LOL :)

Manny

I run one 42" LCD and two 27". The two little ones are used for things like popup windows you don't want in the way. I click and drag them. Like the atc window. The other has 3 cougar overlays on it for when I fly the super bug which I use the buttons as you would in a real FA18. You can also insert the templates into it when needed and use them for other things like opening doors, asking for fuel and the such. All programed through Pete Dawson's wonderful program FSUIPC. The one big monitor works well with Track IR 5. Just my thoughts on the matter. My current machine has three video cards in it and I use the two little off of one card. I think they are evga 760's. Good luck, as I am on the fence about doing the same thing. Cpt out. :lol:

I have a 3 X 24" Dell monitors I got for around $200 each.. totalling $600 and I love it... I can't go back to single monitor no matter how big it is...  Flying the PMDG 777 or the Aersoft Airbus, the VC views are like being on the inside of these aircraft...vision is mostly  the three windows (one to the left and two in front of you). The peripheral vision.

WOW, that looked great. Did you experience any loss in FPS while jumping to three monitors? I'm currently using a GTX 760 which works excellently atm.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Did you experience any loss in FPS while jumping to three monitors?

I have the GTX 670.  Maybe I lost a few FPS I didn't notice much. But I don't fly with too much clouds and tunderstorm etc... Maybe with the new P3D V2.4 and after I get the 980 maybe I can fly with heavy clouds. :)

Manny

I fly FS9 with REX and a lot of PMDG and other commercial add ons on a 42" LG LED.  It is fantastic with very high quality and excellent visual performance.  I have a 24" DELL LCD for moving maps and gauges, etc.  I used Triplehead2go with 3 LCDs for several years--a 24" center and 21" side monitors--and that was great.  I do miss the fuller peripheral vision from triple LCDs, but I became frustrated with the limited vertical height of the screens physically, so I decided to switch to one large LED screen.  I love the bigger cleaner single screen with its large vertical height, and I use my hat swiitch for peripheral vision, but it's still not the same as triple monitors.  I am thinking about possibly getting a 55" LED now although a better thing to do would probably be 3x32" LEDs.  The trouble is you need a lot of space for that kind of set up and then a lot more PC and video horsepower!

JS

9696818378_3c6e26d396_h.jpg

8368582610_c0c4f27673_h.jpg

I like this setup as well, what's the vertical resolution of your monitors? One thing I don't like is the constant panning up and down to see the full vertical depth of the instrument panel.

Jim

Jim Vasto

Well, my two cents worth on this triple monitor setup, I used a triple monitor setup over the last 4 years. I have 3 28" Hanns 28 Monitors for a 5760 x 1200.  Hanns-g Monitors were the best for the buck in 2011. These monitors are cheap but for FSX they are great. This setup has been fun, but with 4K Monitors dropping in price, even has me wondering....

I do like the idea of upgrading to a 4k monitor in the future, but I know my GPU is going to have to be upgraded if I still want a triple Monitor setup.

So bottom line would I buy 3 Monitors instead on 1, only after I saw FSX on a 4k Monitor at 40+ inches, I will let you know cause I just bought a Samsung 50" 4K TV. Personally I would not buy three monitors in tell I saw FSX with a Large 4k Monitor setup.

Just my thought.

what's the vertical resolution of your monitors?

Manny

Well, my two cents worth on this triple monitor setup, I used a triple monitor setup over the last 4 years. I have 3 28" Hanns 28 Monitors for a 5760 x 1200.  Hanns-g Monitors were the best for the buck in 2011. These monitors are cheap but for FSX they are great. This setup has been fun, but with 4K Monitors dropping in price, even has me wondering....

I do like the idea of upgrading to a 4k monitor in the future, but I know my GPU is going to have to be upgraded if I still want a triple Monitor setup.

So bottom line would I buy 3 Monitors instead on 1, only after I saw FSX on a 4k Monitor at 40+ inches, I will let you know cause I just bought a Samsung 50" 4K TV. Personally I would not buy three monitors in tell I saw FSX with a Large 4k Monitor setup.

Just my thought.

Could you kindly provide some pictures of your setup then?

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth