Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Default 172 makes me sad.

Hey all,

though I keep loading up the default 172, I get frustrated each time.

Honestly, I assume it's just that it's a cr@p aircraft; however, I'm certainly hesitant to buy anything knowing I might experience some of the same nonsense such as "locking" bank angles (aircraft seems to snap right into bank position), strange ground handling, constant fighting to keep wings level, etc.

Can anyone recommend some good GA aircraft, maybe free to start, that are known to perform really well?

I fly a Diamond DA40 & DA20 (steam), Piper Warrior II, C172 and C152... open to suggestions.

thanks!

Andrew

Yep A2A C172, A2A PA-28 and Aerosoft DA Katana are probably some of the best low and slow GA's out there

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

Ouch, I'm really sorry, didn't see the topic is in X-plane forum. Well, Carenado and Alabeo produces for X-plane, I think that would be the best you can find, although I do not like their aircraft for FSX.

Yes A2A and RealAir are only for FSX/P3D.

The X-Plane versions of Carenado's aircraft are fantastic. The C152II, C172II Skyhawk, PA28 ArcherII, PA32 Saratoga and Mooney M20J have recently been updated to version 3:

http://xplanereviews.com/index.php?/topic/232-aircraft-update-carenado-aircraft-to-1030-c152ii-c172ii-archer-ii-saratoga-and-mooney-m20j/

They now come with the torque countermeasures by default (to work around the broken modelling in X-Plane) so no need to mess with the scripts yourself.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Morten's Piper Archer 3.

In many peoples opinion, the best freeware GA available.

I love the new Carenado planes especially now that they are adding mouse wheel support. Recently got the B1900 and its awesome!

From EGFF to YSSY

Well, most of the sensation of FBW you get in the default C172 comes from the fact that, by default, under the Settings / Controls menu you will have your Artificial Stability is by default set at 50%.

With artificial stability this way, if you look at your aircraft control surfaces from the outside you will see them sometimes moving very briskly... The first time I saw this I was really enthusiastic because I thought they were reacting to wind turbulence, but soon found out it was the Art Stab system pumping in... 

Well, try setting those Artificial Stability sliders at 0% or as low as 10% and go flying.  Your C172 will surely feel more like a RW C172 :-)  but as a consequence you will now be exposed to other problems in X-Plane's fligth dynamics modeling...

Goran's suggestion of Morten's Piper is good. The panel is only 2D, so, you have to "W" and not to "SHIFT-9" :-). Carenado models are another excellent choice.

I think another good choice would be Goran's ( Leading Edge Simulations - LES ) own Beechcraft Duchess  - a great Classic School twin, very well modeled and beautifully adjusted to the RW performance, and since it's a counter-rotating prop twin you will be freed from the "torque bug" !!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Don't forget to set a pair of switches / buttons in your joystick to aileron trim left / right, and another for rudder trim, although unfortunately in X-Plane it is not called for as much as it should...  It also helps having trim reset buttons for aileron and rudder trim, although they're a bit unrealistic since they instantly bring the trims to neutral.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Andrew, you might want to have a look at vFlyteAir's Piper. It's actually very good and not expensive either. I'll let the experts decide whether it's flight model is accurate but to me, I get the feeling this is close though. When comparing to my P3D A2A Piper, it's not as deep a simulation but is quite convincing nonetheless.