Sign in to follow this  
HumptyDumpty

PPL training

Hi Captains.

Not sure if this post is in the right section. But here goes.

I have real life ground training which was years back but no flight training. Though I do not remember much but enough to handle the aircraft - Aviate Navigate Communicate.  Of course I don't understand traffic patterns and Meterology ah lets not forget the calculations yikes. But I know the WCA etc.... but I never use it in the sim.

What I wanted to ask , I really love the Twootter and I am wondering that If I can jump straight into it and train for PPL on the simulator rather go with the C172. I am not looking to fly IFR anytime soon as I am more of an Attitude flying pilot.  But yes will do the IFR thing later.

Thnx.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I would start with a simple plane, just like rw students do..

a2a cherokee or fsx172 would be good choices.

I would start with a simple plane, just like rw students do..

a2a cherokee or fsx172 would be good choices.

Hi,

I am not on Fsx and don't intend to use it anymore. I am X plane 10.

I quickly googled Twootter and...

...no because its a multi engine aircraft, you start learning with a singe engine aircraft, it doesn't need to be Cessna 172c, any single prop will do. once you get your PPL then you just add multi engine rating to your PPL which should be a short course.

also trust me even them c172 they are a lot more fun then any flight simulator.. and I personally fly real Cessna better then the FSX one, i dont have PPL yet i kinda stop training for personal reason but i plan on going back soon... I got as far as 4-5hours SOLO, shur when i go back will need to take instructor with me few time before they let me solo again but i dont mind :)

as far as IFR goes again it is something you add to your PPL again a short course. you actually even get your CPL on Cessna.

well at least its how it goes here in Canada

so yeah nothing wrong with Cessna :) and only traffic pattern you learn is airport circuit that might be right hand of left hand depending on the airport .

PPL allows you to fly any aircraft you want even 747 if you can afford one, only again you will need to add a rating to your PPL multi engine and I believe another one its called something like high performance engine. dont even need IFR for it just make sure you fly VFR... sounds silly i know but yeah LOL

Now this is how it all works in Canada and i dont see why somewhere else in the world it would be different.

Hope it helps, but anyway go get in a Cessna and start flying. Ground school is useless unless you can use what you learn in real airplane flying at the same time you in ground school.

Andy

Hi,

I am not on Fsx and don't intend to use it anymore. I am X plane 10.

Sorry, my bad..

Hope it helps, but anyway go get in a Cessna and start flying. Ground school is useless unless you can use what you learn in real airplane flying at the same time you in ground school.

Andy

Yeah its a multi engine. And a dream to fly , at least the one in X plane.

Right now I don't have the greens even to think about PPL LOL maybe next year. So just want to train on the simulator. Planning on getting the FAA documents and then also reading my old ground training stuff heck i hope i find them

As to the CPL thing it requires PPL / CPL / ATPL / MCM IMO and i am above age to do the CPL

So 172 it is.

Ah Canada I fly there I am a bush pilot :) awesome place.

Sorry, my bad..

Np. Its always Fsx on the mind :) .

CPL is not really a big deal, its all about hours. my trainer has CPL he has to because he is a trainer (he is a young guy, farmer at heart I think 26 maybe, never bother asking), and CPL really just means you are allowed to charge $$$ to fly people from A-B, with PPL you are not allowed to charge but you can ask if they willing to help with fuel cost etc.. LOL

Flying school I use is not that expensive because you pay as you go per flight lesson... ok it is not cheap as on average a lesson is $150/hour + $80/hr for trainer at the beginning until you go solo. but its not like you require to cough up $1000's of dollars up front and if a school ask you that.. go find a different school !

and if you do go I would recommend minimum 1 lesson per week until you ready for exam and if I recall it takes min 50 hours here in Canada before you eligible for exam... so it will take a year at slow steady learning phase.

but yeah you dont need CDL unless you wanted to be instructor or go commercial, totally pointless otherwise.

I am 39 and i will not be getting CDL, again I am too old to go into commercial carrier so i just stick to PPL and fly for fun, who knows maybe i will get CDL but it will be for the purpose of becoming a trainer or idk in older age move to hawaii and fly people overseeing mountains or whatever for a compensation so I can buy a sandwich LOL

Good luck and go do it NOW !

In all honesty it is nothing that any simulator can give you! It is better! Its incomparable!

Only benefit of simulator is the fact that you are familiar with the cockpit and what gauge does what and where it is etc.. as far as actual flying it is NOTHING like flightsim!

Last though there is something in Canada called Recreation Pilot Licence, it is much easier to obtain and the draw back is you can only fly in Canada with this Licence, there might be something like this in your country, not sure....

Andy

PS: I actually found flying real airplane easier I land it better then i can on flightsim computer! After one lesson I went home and tried the same thing I did in real life and barely could make it nice and center on the runway as I did in real life! One simply cannot compare the two. Sim is great to become familiar with cockpit etc.. and to learn instruments, but cannot be compared to flying of a real airplane even if its just a little C172, which by the way is awesome!

CPL is not really a big deal, its all about hours. my trainer has CPL he has to because he is a trainer (he is a young guy, farmer at heart I think 26 maybe, never bother asking), and CPL really just means you are allowed to charge $$$ to fly people from A-B, with PPL you are not allowed to charge but you can ask if they willing to help with fuel cost etc.. LOL

Flying school I use is not that expensive because you pay as you go per flight lesson... ok it is not cheap as on average a lesson is $150/hour + $80/hr for trainer at the beginning until you go solo. but its not like you require to cough up $1000's of dollars up front and if a school ask you that.. go find a different school !

and if you do go I would recommend minimum 1 lesson per week until you ready for exam and if I recall it takes min 50 hours here in Canada before you eligible for exam... so it will take a year at slow steady learning phase.

but yeah you dont need CDL unless you wanted to be instructor or go commercial, totally pointless otherwise.

I am 39 and i will not be getting CDL, again I am too old to go into commercial carrier so i just stick to PPL and fly for fun, who knows maybe i will get CDL but it will be for the purpose of becoming a trainer or idk in older age move to hawaii and fly people overseeing mountains or whatever for a compensation so I can buy a sandwich LOL

Good luck and go do it NOW !

In all honesty it is nothing that any simulator can give you! It is better! Its incomparable!

Only benefit of simulator is the fact that you are familiar with the cockpit and what gauge does what and where it is etc.. as far as actual flying it is NOTHING like flightsim!

Last though there is something in Canada called Recreation Pilot Licence, it is much easier to obtain and the draw back is you can only fly in Canada with this Licence, there might be something like this in your country, not sure....

Andy

PS: I actually found flying real airplane easier I land it better then i can on flightsim computer! After one lesson I went home and tried the same thing I did in real life and barely could make it nice and center on the runway as I did in real life! One simply cannot compare the two. Sim is great to become familiar with cockpit etc.. and to learn instruments, but cannot be compared to flying of a real airplane even if its just a little C172, which by the way is awesome!

Yep I tend to agree regarding the difference in a sim and the real flight.

I live in India and its not cheap here . yeah I am making a point to get it done sooner or next year.

We have a Sports license here and PPL. So before I get the greens I want to familiarize myself with the instruments and certain logic. 

I am taking the modified 172SP.  

Thnx

So before I get the greens I want to familiarize myself with the instruments and certain logic.

exactly and this will save you money since the trainer won't have to spend time explain you where is what and what it is for LOL

so definitely use the sim to familiarize yourself with cockpit etc.. and always even when flying sim does offer a level of experience so when you go you do know the basics. my trainer for example was pleasantly surprised I knew as much as I did just from playing FSX, and it did definitely helped me in the long run.  

this is me when i felt comfortable to put a cellphone on dash and record me LOL, one of my solo flights... oh man i am starting to miss it... i gotta go back :lol:

exactly and this will save you money since the trainer won't have to spend time explain you where is what and what it is for LOL

so definitely use the sim to familiarize yourself with cockpit etc.. and always even when flying sim does offer a level of experience so when you go you do know the basics. my trainer for example was pleasantly surprised I knew as much as I did just from playing FSX, and it did definitely helped me in the long run.  

this is me when i felt comfortable to put a cellphone on dash and record me LOL, one of my solo flights... oh man i am starting to miss it... i gotta go back :lol:

Nice and love the greenery, Canada looks lovely in XPX too. did you adjust the mixture ? were you using 15 AOB? 

no, i was doing few circuit flights this flight, they have us doing it on full rich all the time, for taxing at the end I might have, i honestly don't recall :). but most of the time we were flying on full mixture even with trainer when we went out do some exercises maybe down it a bit en route to the spot of exercise area, but then we go full. definitely you want to lower it for normal flight but when it comes to exercises we just keep it full rich.

but circuit flights always full mixture all the time.. safer this way especially for noobs like myself LOL

ANDY

I would recommend a good single engine GA.

I'd say, any of the Carenado offers are very good, but even the default C172 is a good option IMO.

A few from the org, for free:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=21614

and anything from XPFR, but specially the DR-400 from here : http://xpfr.org/?body=aero_accueil&av=-1

There was also an excellent C172 with IFR panel and detailed systems at the org, but I couldn't find it :-/

I would recommend a good single engine GA.

I'd say, any of the Carenado offers are very good, but even the default C172 is a good option IMO.

A few from the org, for free:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=21614

and anything from XPFR, but specially the DR-400 from here : http://xpfr.org/?body=aero_accueil&av=-1

There was also an excellent C172 with IFR panel and detailed systems at the org, but I couldn't find it :-/

Hey Jcomm,

I have the C172 with the IFR panel just got to search where I have kept it and also the DR-400 . But I am not going IFR i will crash lol.

And thanks for the TB20.