Sign in to follow this  
alhefner

Free flight touch and go... ATC interactions.

I decided to just practice runway approaches and landings so, I went into free flight, chose a 172 to use, a local airport (reno/stead), and got ready to go. Flight plan had same origin and destination.

When I called up the ATC, all looked pretty good. I chose the options to stay in pattern for a touch and go landing and all went well until I performed the landing...from that point, there wasn't any option to simply take right back off but only options to taxi to the hangar or to refuel...

How do I get the ATC to allow for me to simply keep rolling and take off again?

I don't think it's possible. I wish there could be some addon which would make ATC more realistic.

Lukasz

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

I decided to just practice runway approaches and landings so, I went into free flight, chose a 172 to use, a local airport (reno/stead), and got ready to go. Flight plan had same origin and destination.

When I called up the ATC, all looked pretty good. I chose the options to stay in pattern for a touch and go landing and all went well until I performed the landing...from that point, there wasn't any option to simply take right back off but only options to taxi to the hangar or to refuel...

How do I get the ATC to allow for me to simply keep rolling and take off again?

You need to select "touch and go" from the menu, not "full stop landing"

FS++ I did that and it still only gives me taxi options as if it were a full stop landing... strange stuff.

So what were you expecting?  You were cleared for a touch and go... correct?  As in real life, ATC does not subsequently clear you for takeoff after you touch down because they already have (via the "go" part of the clearance).  Just takeoff and reenter the pattern, ATC will continue to monitor you and provide clearances.

I guess the options for taxi popping up confused me... it kind of looked like I had to choose one instead of going on to take off again.

So what were you expecting?  You were cleared for a touch and go... correct?  As in real life, ATC does not subsequently clear you for takeoff after you touch down because they already have (via the "go" part of the clearance).  Just takeoff and reenter the pattern, ATC will continue to monitor you and provide clearances.

+1

I guess the options for taxi popping up confused me... it kind of looked like I had to choose one instead of going on to take off again.

More than likely, FS detected you came to a complete stop and gave you options for taxi.

As MadDog pointed out, just touch and then go without expecting anything from ATC until you are back in downwind leg.

In a touch and go landing you do not stop on the runway. You keep rolling while reconfiguring the aircraft for takeoff and then takeoff.

In my controller days, unless we had a reason to require a specific operation, we would usually clear pattern traffic for "the option".  This gives the pilot a choice of doing a touch and go, stop and go, low approach, or full-stop.  Although the phraseology in FSX is limited to "touch and go", I believe the underlying logic supports "the option".  Incidentally, I don't think FSX requires a flight plan to do pattern work.