AJLedbetter123

Choosing A Flight Simulator

Which Simulator?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. What Simulator Do You Prefer?

• P3D
    • X-Plane
    • Flight Simulator X

Hard to compare given I got rid of FSX long ago. However, in view of your spec I am sure you are prepared to run Prepar3d quite well. My system is weaker than yours (see sig), but I am quite content with performance: around 20 fps in FB KSFO + ORBX NA with AI traffic to 30 - 40 fps in light-weight areas. No essential stuttering, at least not one disturbing my old eyes.This is in a C172 without 2D or 3D panel on display as I use a hardware panel, but pretty (some might say too) high settings.

One general point ot note: While Prepar3d is still CPU bound, it benefits much more from a good graphics card than FSX.

Kind regards, Michael

Yeah that's what I had read which does make it a little easier to run as the GPU plays more of a factor also.. I do think P3D for me is the way forward by what I seen and read.

How's the general setup of P3D, similar to FSX in the aspect of adding scenery etc, or does it require a little more attention to add scenery.

Adding scenery is all the same. However, be prepared, there's still not all FSX scenery ported to Prepar3d2. Even ORBX being very dedicated to Prepar3d have to port the NZNI region plus a number of airports. It's even worse with Aerosoft being quite indeterminate what runs and what doesn't and did no publish any P3D2 specific updates for stock products. Partly this can be solved using the "Estonian Migration Tool" or some similar tool. PMDG will follow in the next year. Others like FSDreamteam or Flighbeam have all their products P3D2 ready.

Most - but not all - of the recently released products of all makes (including Aerosoft) are P3D2 ready, though.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Hello Michael you are very informative and generous with your posts i enjoy reading them.  Can i pick your brain for a min?  Lets just say i made the PRD3D purchase and wanted to add some scenery i go onto the Orbx site FTX Global,  ok now im lost you've got FTX Global, FTX Global Vector and FTX Global OpenLC Europe,  Plus then you,v all the individual regions like England Ireland Italy Etc Etc.  So wow where do you start?  Is FTX Global like a base you have to install first?  Lets just say i want a really good flying experiance all from the Orbx site, what do i do first. Thank you

Adding scenery is all the same. However, be prepared, there's still not all FSX scenery ported to Prepar3d2. Even ORBX being very dedicated to Prepar3d have to port the NZNI region plus a number of airports. It's even worse with Aerosoft being quite indeterminate what runs and what doesn't and did no publish any P3D2 specific updates for stock products. Partly this can be solved using the "Estonian Migration Tool" or some similar tool. PMDG will follow in the next year. Others like FSDreamteam or Flighbeam have all their products P3D2 ready.

Most - but not all - of the recently released products of all makes (including Aerosoft) are P3D2 ready, though.

Kind regards, Michael

Hello Michael you are very informative and generous with your posts i enjoy reading them.  Can i pick your brain for a min?  Lets just say i made the PRD3D purchase and wanted to add some scenery i go onto the Orbx site FTX Global,  ok now im lost you've got FTX Global, FTX Global Vector and FTX Global OpenLC Europe,  Plus then you,v all the individual regions like England Ireland Italy Etc Etc.  So wow where do you start?  Is FTX Global like a base you have to install first?  Lets just say i want a really good flying experiance all from the Orbx site, what do i do first. Thank you

Don't know what happend there

You start by opening up your wallet REALLY wide  :Money Eyes: :BigGrin:

Chris

This has turned out to be a most informed set of posts. Thanks so much.

I also moved from FSX to P3D on my laptop (W7 64bit 4GB). However, I can only use P3Dv1.4 as my laptop's hardware GPU is only DX10, not the DX11 required for the newer P3D's. However, still better than FSX.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Kind regards, Michael

Really great reply, thanks for the great in-depth you've given me!

Don't know what happend there

FTX Global is the entire globe, and then Vector only enhances the world more, such as coastlines, roads, etc - Adding more of the realistic global view and then Europe only enhances the region further, so it makes Europe look even better.

Check this link, explains the architecture of ORBX/FTX; http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/58990-ftx-global-architecture-explained/

I think if your search Youtube you'll find some really good in-depth videos that compare and show the differences.

This has turned out to be a most informed set of posts. Thanks so much.

I also moved from FSX to P3D on my laptop (W7 64bit 4GB). However, I can only use P3Dv1.4 as my laptop's hardware GPU is only DX10, not the DX11 required for the newer P3D's. However, still better than FSX.

I'm glad this thread as helped, as it's helping me too, the more contribute the easier it becomes for other users too.

ORBX has different product lines. One is the Global product linie which finally will cover the whole world (Europe is completed, for now, but still going to be further enhanced). Another one are Regions like Ireland, Pacific Northwest, etc. These are much more detailed (and include 3D objects, smaller photo areas and better landclass) than Global, however, only cover relatively small Areas. These are independent on Global. A third line are mostly smaller, but very highly detailed Airports, which (with few exceptions) require the corresponding Regions to be installed first.

With regard to ORBX scenery you bought earlier, you may have to re-download it from the FSS. 2 years old installers don't do it for Prepar3d2. Of course, this only does work for scenery being already Prepar3d2 adapted (there's a list someplace on the ORBX forum). More recent scenery (most or even all of the Global series) has been Prepar3d2 fit from the outset. 

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Thank you AJLedbetter123  and Michael 

So basically i lay the Global down first then Vector then Europe Last, then the airports and so on,  great sounds like a plain...Wouldn't you think the Orbx site would explain this  in better detail. 

I think, the document mentioned by AJLedbetter123 does explain it actually quite well.

Most of the ORBX payware airports (Lake Tahoe, Southampton, Melbourne, to name a few ones) are not supposed to work based on Global but require the corresponding Region being installed. However, there are a number of Freeware Airport packages specifically made for the Global series. Most 3rd party airports should play well with Global, but there is no guarantee. Critical point is usually Airport Elevation, thus Vector contains a tool for taking care of this (which does the job in most cases). I had this issue recently with Domodedowo, where I forgot to run the tool after installation and found myself within a deep trench on the runway. Running the Vector tool fixed it.

As mentioned above, unfortunately all of that ORBX fun comes at a price.

Kind regards, Michael

In my personal opinion I run ORBX Global, along side ORBX Vector and ORBX OpenLC Europe - When flying to airports I then introduce a 'secondary' structure such as Aeorsoft Dublin, UK2000 Jersey etc

Does anyone have a traffic on for P3D?

I use World of AI. It works great in P3D V2.4

Install the packages the usual way after renaming a copy of the Prepar3D.exe in the root folder, FSX.exe

And its Free :BigGrin:

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Prepar3d General Forum" to "Hangar Chat". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Although it's nice to see the P3D numbers doing so well, this should be in Hanger Chat (I moved it) if you want to see a more accurate reflection of platform choices based on the 3 platforms this poll covers.

Cheers, Rob.