Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

WOW...does DSR really jazz up FS9!?!?

You bet it does!!!

I'm presently in a flight with an A320, out of KFNT, headed for KMIA, running DSR at 2.0/33%

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FS9 looks grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat also with a factor of 1.5/33%

The bodies of the jets...especially the engine and their nacelles, look as real as you can get them...and I still think that FS9, for the look of terrain at the FL's, STILL is above what even FSX or P3D.x can produce...and simply because of the palette color that is used in this sim.  Nothing comes close to LOOKING like terrain below you, at the FL's.  I still very much use FS9 as the de facto Big Iron champ of all time.  It will never come off the hard drive...because...for what valid reason...WOULD IT?!?!?   If there is one...it sure is lost on me....

Back to the flight......Evolution is providing great weather...and Extreme is showing off how good clouds can look within this sim.

Oh yeah...having a blast...and with DSR polishing this sim...even more so!

Post Edit:  One of the very first things I noticed, is that at DSR 2.0/33%, the coastlines of any land mass, is gorgeous to view...no more jag, or abrupt angles, that always had plagued FS9's rendering of coastlines. Now...under DSR, they have beautiful form, and total real-world believably. What a boost, DSR is well...heck...to any sim I have tried it out on...but man...does it do a number on FS9!  Hoooooooooooooooza!

Mitch

A picture is worth a thousand words!!

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

X-Plane 11 Group:     Facebook

A picture is worth a thousand words!!

So is DSR!   Bird's Eye View, Fall, looks great! :)

Mitch

BTW, what's the control to shoot pics in FS9...I can't remember...

I use print screen

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

X-Plane 11 Group:     Facebook

Reading Mitches posts about DSR makes me wonder if he's ever had any AA working before at all.

Sure DSR works, but man does it blur the picture.

I've tried it in both FS9 and FSX and can't stand the blur, it's much like what FXAA gives you... yuk!

I ran 2.0xDRS at 33% smoothness, using 4xmultisample AA and 4xSuperSample transparency AA with 16x AF.

If I lower the smoothness it gets crispier (the way I like it) but then it starts to shimmer again.

Nope, if you have a descent card I suggest trying 16xS AA with some SuperSample transparency AA (2x or 4x).

THAT is image quality if you ask me.

Forgive being 'stoopid' or dumb, what exactly is this 'magic potion', DSR,and where do we get it? Does it only apply to FS9?

Forgive being 'stoopid' or dumb, what exactly is this 'magic potion', DSR,and where do we get it? Does it only apply to FS9?

That's with the new Nvidia driver but it is supposed only be available for Desktop GPU's sadly.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

There are lots of discussions about DSR going on around here now, just search and you will find.

That's with the new Nvidia driver but it is supposed only be available for Desktop GPU's sadly.

Thanks for the explanation.

Reading Mitches posts about DSR makes me wonder if he's ever had any AA working before at all.

Sure DSR works, but man does it blur the picture.

I've tried it in both FS9 and FSX and can't stand the blur, it's much like what FXAA gives you... yuk!

I ran 2.0xDRS at 33% smoothness, using 4xmultisample AA and 4xSuperSample transparency AA with 16x AF.

If I lower the smoothness it gets crispier (the way I like it) but then it starts to shimmer again.

Nope, if you have a descent card I suggest trying 16xS AA with some SuperSample transparency AA (2x or 4x).

THAT is image quality if you ask me.

LOL...I have always used...and know how to set, AA....DSR is beyond that....(smile). A total transformation...and why did nVidia take soooooooooo long?  I could probably have stopped spending with my GTX 285!

Oh wait...I just answered my own question, LOLOLOLOL!   Yeah...right.....

Thanks for posting, always great to hear about something that might improve FS9!

It would really be a help if you could post some shots "before" and "after" the tweak for comparison.

Thanks for posting, always great to hear about something that might improve FS9!

It would really be a help if you could post some shots "before" and "after" the tweak for comparison.

OK..I'll do that sooner than later and post in the Screen Shot Forum. I'm sure though, that I am not the only one who is flying FS9, and using DSR within it...hey you folks...push the button as well...and go snap....

Just downloaded that latest Nvidia driver.So, how do I get this DSR implemented?

Thanks, Sesquashtoo, for this H/U.

Rick,

Depending on your version of Windows right click on your desktop and click on the NVIDIA Control Panel link.

From there go to the Manage 3D Settings link and go to the Global Settings tab. Under the Global Settings tab you should see a link item DSR - Factors and DSR - Smoothness. Start with the DSR - Factors and select 2 from the list. Then go to the DSR - Smoothness and select the default of 33%.

Go to the Program Settings tab and reset everything there to defaults. If you want to be safe, either take a screen shot of your settings or, write them all down. If you're using NVIDIA Inspector, export your FS9 profile first, then from within Inspector, choose the FS9 profile and click on the Nvidia icon which will revert it back to system defaults.

Click on apply then fire up FS9

Once you're in FS9 go to your settings and you should have a new resolution available. Select it then click OK.

Fire up a flight of your choosing then hit ALT-ENTER to take you into full screen mode.

You should now have FS9 running at the new resolution!

Hope this helps (It's been ages since I've been in the FS9 interface) and if not, post up here and we'll look after you.

Mike

Hi Mike

Windows 7 x64 Pro Haswell 4.GHz

Thanks for all that. Very helpful and informative too. Cheers.

But does it only apply to FS9 as I'm running FSX Gold, or can it be applied to FSX as well?