Sign in to follow this  
philfab2

CS L1011 Descent Profile

I have been using the CS L1011 and am very happy with it - with one exception - it descends at idle power far too steeply; not the standard 3:1 that every aircraft in the world seems to follow.  I have 3000 hours in command of the Tri Star and this model brings back beautiful memories.  Can anyone shed some light on maybe a tweak of some file or other to make it descend flatter.  One little gem the aircraft did was at 13000 ft on descent and 320k, I would select 1000fpm and it slowed to 250 at exactly the same time it reached 10000ft.  Thanks, Phil

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Not sure if somebody already took the opportunity to tweak the FDE but there are some basic values in the aircraft.cfg which would allow for a rough edit. Namely look for anything with the name "drag" in it, often being set as a scalar. Should be in the [flight_tuning] section.

Mind you, due to the rough nature, that this will also affect the drag on the way up, so power demands might reduce in the climb phase. Very specific tweaking only happens via the air file, with freeware editors like aired.

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that you don't descend at idle power in the L1011 - I think the comment that I read somewhere was that if you try to descend at idle power it will "drop like a stone"

Not being a RW pilot, my technique for most airplanes has become this: set the airspeed knob to 280 knots and use my E6B to determine my descent rate based on the current ground speed. I begin descent at 3X my altitude from the distance to the airport. In other words, 33,000 feet times 3 equals 99 miles from the airport plus 10 miles to slow to 250 knots. Works every time. Of course it gets a little more complicated if you are dealing with STAR restrictions.

The thing I like most about the CS L1011 is I don't have to figure my vRef speed. All I have to do is get the airplane into landing configuration and Alpha mode shows in the speed box. And there is no Autobrake or Spoiler arming to deal with. Autoland touchdown rates are acceptable and I have to remember to disconnect the autopilot after landing in order to get off the runway.

Sign in to follow this