Sign in to follow this  
kdfw__

ra tduke dx10 vc shadows

although the shadow map seems to be a little lacking, the shadows do indeed add to the sense of motion.  the dynamic range of the shadows in dx10 is limited compared to what i see on p3d but not bad...

http://youtu.be/vTmRJfJm5_s

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Guest tymk

Hi!

Are you using Steve's DX10 Scenery Fixer? You need to enable "Force VC Walls" for the Duke to get proper shadows (the internal model has no cockpit/cabin roof, which is why you only get shadows from window frames, ceiling lights, etc.). With the option enabled, you get the full deal, and it really looks great.

Tym

On the subject of VC shadows, take a look at Steve's blog for a quick way to enable shadows for all aircraft without having to modify the VC model file; http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2014/10/23/new-fsx-setting-forcevcshadowmap/. Obviously only works in DX10.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Hopefully the T Duke v2 will solve all this!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi!

Are you using Steve's DX10 Scenery Fixer? You need to enable "Force VC Walls" for the Duke to get proper shadows (the internal model has no cockpit/cabin roof, which is why you only get shadows from window frames, ceiling lights, etc.). With the option enabled, you get the full deal, and it really looks great.

Tym

didn't know that.  i should put Steve's dx10 fixer payware on my shopping list.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Hi!

Tym

Great tip, Tym. I've just enabled this (and ForceVCShadowMap=1 in fsx.cfg) and I now have excellent, realistic cockpit shadows in the RA Duke B60 V2. Amazingly, I don't seem to have had any significant change to FPS! The last time I tried VC shadows using an older version of Steve's DX10 Scenery Fixer I turned them off again because of the performance hit. The shadow accuracy is supposed to be better with the latest version; maybe he's done something to optimize performance as well.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I'm seeing jaggies on the VC shadows.

What setting is best?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

What about PMDG 777? What you guys suggest in terms of settings?

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

I'm seeing jaggies on the VC shadows.

What setting is best?

Have you tried setting HD shadows in the DX10 Scenery Fixer? It certainly made a difference for me with no noticeable loss of FPS.

Have you tried setting HD shadows in the DX10 Scenery Fixer? It certainly made a difference for me with no noticeable loss of FPS.

I'll give it a try. Thanks.

I tried the HD Shadows setting but I'm still not getting the same quality VC Shadows as the default airplane. I have jaggies on the edges of the shadows.

I'll start a new thread . Maybe Steve, Paul, or others can share settings.

Jose