Sign in to follow this  
Guest Erick_Cantu

Tail mounted vs. Wing mounted engines.

Guest panda234

hmmm, I remember way back when a dc10's center engine blew and took out all the hydraulics. They had to steer it by changing thrust on the left and right engine. That would be a disadvantage, but I guess it's better than your wing falling off....billg

Guest Dean

I think I remember that one also. a TWA in Omaha I believe. If I recall most of the DC10s disappeared for a while after that to have the hydraulic lines reworked. On second thought as I type this, I believe the one I am thinking about happened in Chicago. I think a wing engine came off and damaged the hydraulic lines. They were apparently postioned along the front of the wing instead of the rear. The DC10 was really getting a bad rap at the time.

Guest advocatexxx

all i know is that tail mounted engines shift the weight =)520237.jpg&ZyXtCe=MDI0MTQx&id=520237&ViD=middle

Guest KFD

Hi All,Interesting discussion. There was an aircraft crash here in the UK in the late 60's to a rear engined Trident c/s G-ARPI in which the crew retracted the leading edge slats and the aircraft entered a stall which developed into a deep unrecoverable stall and crashed near Staines reservoir. The aircraft was just airborne from LHR and passing 3000. You can read the complete report from the UK Air Accidents and Investigation Branch web site here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_...ety_502559.hcspThere are loads of other reports here too.KFD

Guest SevenSeas

I think it also was in the UK where the problem of the deep-stall (more or less) had been discovered. As far as I know it was during a test-flight of the BAC 1-11 when the problem really came to light for the first time. The aircraft crashed when it entered a stall while the test-pilots were trying to explore the stall-qualities of the prototype and there was nothing that the they could do to prevent the crash.There were some design-changes afterwards to reduce the problems and the stick-pusher was installed on all 1-11s. I know that the Tridents also were equipped with a stick-pusher (which the pilots of the Staines-accident de-activated after it had saved their airplane for the third time by pushing its nose down - they obviously thought that the stick-pusher had only a malfunction and didn

Guest Birdie

The onlt thing I can think of that hasn't been said already is you will only see turbo fan engines on wings because in cruise the fan blades produce 80% of the thrust from the airflow through them. If they were on the tail the airflow could be disrupted due to the wing and therefore not be as effiecent. Plus what was already siad about the size for the engines needed for heavys. You won't see just tail mounted engines on heavys(then DC-10 and L-1011 have one in the tail but still have wing engines). Cheers!

Guest Erick_Cantu

The 737-1/200 can and do power back when necessary.

Guest Erick_Cantu

The hydraulic incident was a UNITED DC-10 and it crashed in Sioux City.The Chicago accident was an AA DC-10 that lost an engine on takeoff. The engine caused damage to the LED's rendering them useless, the combination of an engine lost and only one wing having LED's rolled the plane over and it crashed.