Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Why Is Avsim Very Slow To Load/503 Error?

@Canuck55: The Prepar3d forums are lightning fast compared to Avsim most of the time...

Feel like I committed a serious crime for responding and posting a suggestion....

What rubbish, Jim. You committing a crime here? Poppycock. I've lost count of the number of times you have answered CTD issues when no one else will take it on board. So, stop hiding on that 18th green afraid to come into the club-house to sign your card!!

This site is being spammed constantly from evil Sources in China, Russia, the Ukraine, and elsewhere. Tom is trying to keep the site operating 24 hours a day w/o problems but when you have a site as large as ours, you will see problems occasionally. I have no immediate solutions and I doubt Tom has any right now either. If you don't think we want to have the smoothest, fastest website on the Internet, and we are keeping it slow on purpose just to irritate members, then you need to look elsewhere.

I'd sooner have a slower site than one that cost us more than a slow site a few years ago when we were well and truly hacked. I do not think any of us want to go through all that,again, do we?

Think this is slooow, try Lockheed Martins P3D forum for a slugfest. I gave up going there. Surely it is to their detriment.

I experience the same symptoms with P3D's forums, rarely if ever the pages will even load. Do we have Verizon in common by any chance?

I have not had any problems with the LM website. FWIW I have a Verizon FIOS Quantum 75/75 Mbps connection. Occasionally I'll see slowdowns in their forums but it's very rare.

We reboot our system quite frequently for updates or maintenance issues but most of the time I hardly see an issue when that happens. After a few seconds, I'll hit F5 to refresh the page and things are working great again.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have a Verizon 4G plan and a wifi hotspot, the best speed I've ever seen is around 250 Kb/sec down and I haven't seen 4G service in over two years at my current location. The signal sucks no doubt but aside from being slow it doesn't give me problems with other sites, not even Avsim. It's a real challenge to get into www.prepar3d.com though. The good news is there's a new cell tower going in that's considerably closer than the one I'm currently picking up a signal from, fingers crossed that the new tower will alleviate at least some of my internet woes. Failing that I guess the plan for next spring is to take out a large swath of trees and try satellite.

07:30am here in the UK, and incredibly, just when I was expecting that 503 Service Unavailable Error, wow, lo and behold, this site loaded up without any problems, and pretty instantly too. And the same happened yesterday morning but I dismissed it as a one-off.

07:30am here in the UK, and incredibly, just when I was expecting that 503 Service Unavailable Error, wow, lo and behold, this site loaded up without any problems, and pretty instantly too. And the same happened yesterday morning but I dismissed it as a one-off.

Jim must have been on the golf course then! :yahoo:

Jim must have been on the golf course then! :yahoo:

I guess the lesson for us Europeans is to time our access to Avsim when Jim's at the 14th hole, keeping fingers he does not get a hole-in-one, and :im Not Worthy:  gets back to login sooner!!

I guess the lesson for us Europeans is to time our access to Avsim when Jim's at the 14th hole, keeping fingers he does not get a hole-in-one, and :im Not Worthy:  gets back to login sooner!!

The best time is when Jim's at the 19th!