Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Watch this BBC Footage of Dangerous Landing at Paro

They landed on manual.  Nice vid. and looking at the sky and the clouds makes me think yes we arm chair pilots are really in those skies. 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Without my glasses I thought it said drunkair on the fuselage.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Without my glasses I thought it said drunkair on the fuselage.

lol

Whatever happened to "sterile cockpit"? Are they not flouting the rules?

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0299wq5

Airbus 318/319 landing at Paro Airport, Bhutan

Great video.  Now try landing a 737 at PAJN on runway 8.  Next try the tackoff on the same runway.  Not as difficult as Bhutan but a underrated jem as well.  You need Holger's Glacier Bay to truly appreciate the area.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

"The Sterile Cockpit Rule is an FAA regulation requiring pilots to refrain from non-essential activities during critical phases of flight, normally below 10,000ft. The FAA imposed the rule in 1981 after reviewing a series of accidents that were caused by flight crews who were distracted from their flying duties by engaging in non-essential conversations and activities during critical parts of the flight"...Source Wikipedia.

Conversations with a journalist during approach phase?

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

I believe the FAA is American and the country where this story takes place is in Bhutan. Rightly or wrongly I don't believe the FAA's Sterile Cockpit regulation applies in Bhutan.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

Well, that is the point. This is an FAA rule, which however sane, cogent, and seemingly "common sense," does not affect non-US flagged carriers flying outside the territory of the United States. Unless there's a similar rule in effect by another regulatory agency, this one does not apply.

It appears also that the copilot was PIC for the landing...

...still, I wouldn't have been at all comfortable were I in the same situation.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for the replies....learnt something today! I have viewed cockpit videos of South African Airways flights and they use the "sterile cockpit" approach...thanks again.

Peter Webber

All countries have there air regulations , the US is FAA,   hmm crap what is it called in India ?

"The Sterile Cockpit Rule is an FAA regulation requiring pilots to refrain from non-essential activities during critical phases of flight, normally below 10,000ft. The FAA imposed the rule in 1981 after reviewing a series of accidents that were caused by flight crews who were distracted from their flying duties by engaging in non-essential conversations and activities during critical parts of the flight"...Source Wikipedia.

Conversations with a journalist during approach phase?

I don't think Bhutan is within FAA jurisdiction!! And from what you say all Justplanes videos are illegal!! Count yourself as "not" one of the eight pilots in the world qualified to land at Paro!

Well, that is the point. This is an FAA rule, which however sane, cogent, and seemingly "common sense," does not affect non-US flagged carriers flying outside the territory of the United States. Unless there's a similar rule in effect by another regulatory agency, this one does not apply.

It appears also that the copilot was PIC for the landing...

...still, I wouldn't have been at all comfortable were I in the same situation.

Bill, the actual footage of the pilot talking is less than the video length of 3:59 minutes. It is a visual only landing from 16,000 feet. Meaning that both pilots are looking out of the window for a considerably longer period than less than 4 minutes. When you drive do you stay absolutely silent or do you occasionally look at and talk to your passengers? Not even the FAA regulations were broken here!

The interpretation given in this thread is too pedantic. "Thou shalt not under any circumstances turn and face the stewardess when she comes into the cockpit to take your drink orders!"

Just enjoy the video and wish you were one of the lucky eight pilots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsZqN-uEgQU

This is another version