Sign in to follow this  
Tim_Capps

Dogfight Between Coolsky Flight One DC-9 and Captain Sim 737

NOTE: this is not really a review, and does not fit the member review template, which is why you are finding it here. I hope you enjoy it!

Dogfight: Coolsky Flight One DC-9 vs. Captain Sim 737-100/200 & 200ADV

The DC-9 first flew in 1965 on short to medium routes. The 737-100 competed for the same market, and entered service in 1968, followed that same year by the 200, and the ADV in 1971. Both were hugely successful products for their makers, and lasted well into the age of glass cockpits. In the end, it was the 737 that turned out to be the most popular jetliner of them all, but that outcome was not always obvious.

These classics were rivals in real life, so how do they compare in FSX? Let's put them head to head and find out. Each category will be ranked 1 to 5 (best), except where there's something exceptional.

ROUND ONE: PURCHASE AND DOWNLOADING -- EVEN

The Captain has the best system in the business. You buy the product, get a link and an install code, and you're ready to install. Later, as long as you remember your email address and at least one product code, you can access your account for updates and re-downloads. Aerosoft has a similarly friendly system, and anything more complicated than this is likely to get marked down. (There are still some vendors doing weird stuff out there, and this does affect my purchasing habits.) Fortunately, it doesn't get more consumer-friendly than Captain Sim's method.

SCORE: 5.

DC-9 

Flight One has its wrapper, and it's license key, and, yes, it all works, but it's just shy of the intuitive ease of Captain Sim and some other companies. That said, it doesn't warrant a mark-down.

SCORE: 5

ROUND TWO: Documentation -- ADVANTAGE: DC-9

Captain Sim's documentation is one of their strengths. While I would like to see some systems covered more in depth (like the PDCS, although... you'll see) it is decent. The lack of a tutorial, however, brings it down. Captain Sim, for some reason, stubbornly refuses to include tutorials in their products.

SCORE: 4.

DC-9

You not only get good conventional documentation, but a whole in-sim interactive instruction system that points to relevant elements of your panel while displaying explanatory text. The tutorial is linked to this system, which is less than ideal in my opinion (unless you enjoy flying from the 2-D panel) but, that's not much of a complaint. This is a complex airplane, and it looks like the developers really want you to know how to fly it properly.

Since it lacks an FMC, we're talking radio navigation here for both contestants. The DC-9 gives you a "Nav Sim," however, which both helps and instructs you in this arcane art. The beauty of it is that it doesn't just take away the challenge of radio navigation. It actually teaches you along the way. The upshot is you needn't be afraid to buy the DC-9 because you don't know how to use radio navigation. You will learn, and until then, you've got training wheels.

While not really documentation, the DC-9 also provides in-sim loading and fueling, and an "auto-configure" function to set up your airplane in different states: cold and dark, ready for taxi, ready for takeoff, and even in-flight configurations. Captain Sim, in comparison, has it's familiar ACE, which loads your airplane and... well, that's all it does. No, it's not broken, but when you see what other developers are doing with the DC-9, or Aerosoft's A318/319, people are getting a lot more elsewhere.

SCORE: 6!

ROUND THREE: LOOKS -- ADVANTAGE 737

This is where Captain Sim can be expected to shine, and it does. When you look at the hand-painted, subtle gradation of lighting on the bezel of an instrument, you know you are looking at sheer artistry. Nodoby can beat Captain Sim on visuals, and this is possibly their best. Be advised it features Captain Sim's trademark "distressed" look, so if you enjoy that new jetliner smell, you might not appreciate the effort.

Score: 6!

DC-9

Not as far from Captain Sim as you might expect, especially after the "functional" artwork on Coolsky's previous MD-80. Espen and the crew have really upped their game for this one, and it does not hurt that they have McPhat on board. The visuals are very well done. You can even buy ultra high definition panels and aircraft paints from McPhat if you prefer extra crispy visuals.

SCORE: 5.

ROUND FOUR: Systems -- ADVANTAGE DC-9

The industry was transitioning to greater automation in these 60s birds, but were still pretty primative compared to modern airplanes. Captain Sim has had trouble with systems in the past, and the 737 carries on that dubious tradition. The PDCS has a real CRT, with a keyboard to enter data so a computer can figure your EPR and do other things. The problem is, the thing gives you a crash to desktop half the time you try to use it. This seems to be a universal problem that Captain Sim is aware of, but has declined to address.

If you can resist playing with the PDCS, you can certainly fly the airplane without it. Frankly, I don't think this was really intended to be flown by the numbers. The fan base has come up with V-speed cards and other tweaks if you like, but I don't use them. Autopilot works fine, and the control wheel steering also works nicely. In fact, the 737 is one of my favorites. Even so, you can't put in a system that not only doesn't work, but dumps you unceremoniously to the desktop if you try to use it.

If the PDCS worked, I'd give it a 4. As it is...

SCORE: 1 (ouch!)

DC-9

Coolsky did a great job on this wacky bird. Sometimes I have imagined that Douglas perpetrated an elaborate practical joke on the industry by making things as counter-intuitive as possible. The autothrottle button is cleverly disguised as an ordinary panel light? Who knew? Still, that's on Douglas. Coolsky did a great job on the systems. They even have a live schematic!

ROUND FIVE: FLYING -- ADVANTAGE 737

This is a very nice flying airplane. In fact, for touch and goes at RWY 34R KSEA it is my favorite. Its automation works like a charm. Most owners make an adjustment to a value in the aircraft config file to tone down the engines. Aside from the PDCS problem (which really doesn't affect practical operations), this is an airplane you can have fun with in the circuit, or flying routes.

DC-9

This one just doesn't seem quite as easy to fly. Having never flown a real DC-9 (nor a 737, for that matter) I have no idea if this is realistic. Get distracted for a minute and your autopilot will cheerfully stall you. It is a real chore to break through those final ten feet to touchdown. Is ground effect really so pronounced in a DC-9, as compared to all my other airplanes? All I know is that the 737 just seems a little more fun to fly.

SCORE: 4

THE FINAL RESULT

Captain Sim 737: 21 Points
Coolsky Flight One DC-9: 25 points THE WINNER!

Note that without the botched PDCS (which you don't need to fly the airplane) we would almost have a tie. Truth to tell, these are both great representations of classic airliners, and both are a blast to fly. You can confidently use radio navigation with either (assuming you have that skill) and the DC-9 comes with the extra benefit of the Nav Sim. I'm glad I have both, and if I had could only keep one, it would be a hard choice. One that, fortunately, I don't have to make.

One caveat: I have run into occasional Out Of Memory issues with the DC-9, something that also plagued their MD-80. There's no doubt there is a lot going on with this airplane. I never used to have them, but have recently added quite a few new airports, so I am learning to disable everything except what I'm likely to fly to during a session, to see if that helps.

So there you have it! The Coolsky Flight One DC-9 wins this dogfight on account of Captain Sim botching the 737's PDCS. But either one or both are decent choices for classic airliner buffs, or anyone who just wants to find out if they have what it takes to be a real aviator.

I wish it was that close. If it was, the DC-9 wouldn't be 6 to 1 ahead on hours in my logbook. But it is. I would agree that the 737 wins on the looks front, although there is nothing really wrong with the DC-9. The -9 is a bit of an odd looking plane at the best of times, IMO (it has grown on me).

Yes, I'm flying KSFO - KLAX at this very moment. The DC-9 is a very nice airplane, and quite the handful.

I don't know, in my opinion the DC-9 is in a whole other league from the CS737, just way ahead.

The DC-9 is also a joy and pleasure to hand fly, I don't remember how the 737 was but I don't remember it flying particularly well.

It is an insult to any reputable software company being compared to captain sim. The milviz 737 would be a better comparison.

Matt Wilson

Very enjoyable read thanks. Try the Milviz 737-200, I have that and really love it...

Jason Jackett

The 737 was way over powered and there were a host of other bugs ( pressurization, overhead switches getting moved around when clicking menu items in the left hand corner-alt, lack of rudder input) and many others. DC-9 is much more robust, detailed and accurate in my opinion. I did install the all the fixes in the 737 and it seems much more realistic now and I do enjoy flying it occasionally. But the DC-9 I feel is in a whole other league. I only paid $12 for the CS 737 on sale. That's what I feel its worth. The 737 is beautiful graphically though.

Plus, Espen, DC-9 developer, get's right back to you personally ( no matter how many times he's heard the same question) if you have an issue, rather than telling you to go look in the knowledge base for something that isn't even relative to your problem, then closing the ticket.

It is an insult to any reputable software company being compared to captain sim. The milviz 737 would be a better comparison.

I wouldn't go that far. To CS's credit their L1011 is quite nice. I would agree with others that the Milviz 737 is a better comparison, it is nice too. I just wish they would fix a few niggles with the exterior model.

I wouldn't go that far. To CS's credit their L1011 is quite nice. I would agree with others that the Milviz 737 is a better comparison, it is nice too. I just wish they would fix a few niggles with the exterior model.

I am glad to hear they are improving but I have been burned way to many times by CS to take another chance.

Matt Wilson

I am glad to hear they are improving but I have been burned way to many times by CS to take another chance.

+1

I do have the Coolsky DC-9,  I don't own the CS737.

When I zoom in on the instruments when flying the DC-9 in IFR, it feels as I'm in the real airplane.

The refresh rate & smoothness of all the analog instruments & the looks, are just so real (thanks to McPath). I've never seen such realism in any other analog airplane.

The FDE is one of the best, on par with PMDG NGX & Majestic Q400.. :wink:

Well, well. It was indeed a couple of months without CS critic thread.

CS 737 is visually great as the thread starter noted.

Another advantage over Milviz version is that it is more retro, no modern avionics stuff added. With little modding the overpowering is no issue. And in comparison with Coolsky niner it works fluently. The DC tends to be unstable, sometimes it works but often it crashes the sim. Great addon in every respect.

Good read, I like the way you outlined your thread, as a reader I enjoyed reading.....

Well, well. It was indeed a couple of months without CS critic thread.

CS 737 is visually great as the thread starter noted.

Another advantage over Milviz version is that it is more retro, no modern avionics stuff added. With little modding the overpowering is no issue. And in comparison with Coolsky niner it works fluently. The DC tends to be unstable, sometimes it works but often it crashes the sim. Great addon in every respect.

Hmm, I have zero problems with DC-9 since early on, patches have fixed all that. My only knock on it would be the cockpit lighting could be a bit better, but that's a rather small issue and I'm working on custom fx's to help it a bit.

There are pluses and minuses to both the CS737 and Milviz 737, they are two parts that if they could be combined would make a really good 732 sim. As far as comparing the CS737 to the DC9, the DC9 has all those little extras that put it in a different class and make it what I consider a more complete package. And as somebody else mentioned the support for the DC9 is hands down spectacular, Espen takes care of his customers.