Sign in to follow this  

Hi,

I am currently in the process of replacing my computer case for different reasons, including the fact that I'm upgrading to a GTX970.

I currently run a GTX550 Ti and although I know FSX is CPU bound, I think I should be able to crank up my anti-aliasing and texture settings, the extra VRAM will help. I also play other games so the upgrade should hopefully be dramatic.

Anyway, I cool my 2500k with an H60i cooler. I'm pretty sure I will have to remove the cooler from the CPU when I change my case.My question is the following:

Do I need to clean out the old thermal paste and apply new one onto the CPU/H60? Does the paste go on the CPU or on the block? Which paste is the best?

I had used the original H60 paste and have never applied it myself. Sorry for the simple question!

Thank you very much,

PhilH

Yes, if you remove a cooler you will have to replace the thermal interface material.

Apply it to the CPU heat spreader. The best method is a small blob in the middle, that way the pressure from the cooler when you mount it will spread it evenly with no air pockets. The spread with an old credit card method is guaranteed to create air pockets. Not disastrous, but less than optimal.

The last TIM I used was innovation cooling's Diamond Paste...

http://www.innovationcooling.com/application.html

As for which is the best, you should be able to find some TIM reviews on the net. Don't expect a huge difference between quality TIM's though. Just make sure you don't buy crap.

I usually clean the old TIM off with acetone, but you can buy TIM remover. Isopropyl alcohol will do it.

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your reply. I ended up getting Arctic Silver 5 and using that as TIM. For some reason, my temps are higher than they used to be when running prime95 / IBT, but as low as they were before when gaming or flying FSX. I thought I had badly applied the TIM so I tried to reapply it, but the temperatures are the same.

It was my first time applying TIM, I had used the H60's stock included paste before. Maybe the temps are just higher because of the burn-in time? I'll wait a few days to find out.

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your reply. I ended up getting Arctic Silver 5 and using that as TIM. For some reason, my temps are higher than they used to be when running prime95 / IBT, but as low as they were before when gaming or flying FSX. I thought I had badly applied the TIM so I tried to reapply it, but the temperatures are the same.

It was my first time applying TIM, I had used the H60's stock included paste before. Maybe the temps are just higher because of the burn-in time? I'll wait a few days to find out.

How much did you use? If you use to much it will cause a rise in temps, and also what did you clean the CPU and cooling block with? Also there is about a 200 running hours break in period for new thermal paste so wait and see if your temps drop after that amount of time. Just for future reference you shouldn't have to remove the CPU cooler when switching cases. I've left my H110 attached all 3 times I've switched cases you just have to be careful! 

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I use the Radio Shack thermal paste and it works great.  Be sure to clean everything - I use rubbing alcohol to remove the residue.  I use my finger to spread a thin even coating so that there is very little squeeze out.

Jeff Callender

I did indeed use rubbing alcohol to remove it.

David, I was forced to remove the H60 because I had a really cheap crappy case and I had drille holes in the back in order to fit the cooler - basically, I had modded to case myself in order to get the H60 in there.

I will wait 200 running hours, and see how it goes. 200 hours is a lot, I use it around 20-25 hours per week, so that means almost 10 weeks? Should I expect a big difference over time? (As in 10C lower or so).

The temps while FSX is running are like they used to be, around 60C max. However, primer95 (small FFT test) & IBT both make the CPU temp rise very quickly.

I did replace my RAM during this upgrade, went from 4GB to 8GB by buying a new 1x8GB stick. I know overclocking the CPU used to affect RAM, could this be related? I've only changed the CPU multiplier and voltage. Currently at 4.7GHz, like it has always been.

Thank you!

Your choice of Tim would have been my recommendation, I use AS5 with very good results. My rule of thumb for Tim application is a "grain of rice" size at the centre of the CPU.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

After 3 years and a lot of use,my old paste was getting dry and brittle. I was getting CTD, blue and black screens and FPS in FSX had diminished greatly.

I unattached my heat sink, cleaned both the CPU and heat sink surfaces twice with alcohol, and then applied a drop gold based thermal paste to the center of the heat sink ( size of a small pea) and reunited the two surfaces. No more CTD, blue and black screens and FPS in FSX were up 40%. Amazing what this simple process did for my computer.