Sign in to follow this  
SimonC

Getting a new GPU, out with the old GPU or leave it?

Will be getting a new GPU sometime soon and was wondering what I should do with my old card. I currently have a GTX660 and will be getting the GTX970.

Is there any kind of reason why I would want to leave the GTX660 in? I have a free slot, I could run the 2nd screen off of it, I read I could use it to run PhysX, but is there anything else, specifically bound to flight simulation, be that FSX or P3D?

(And no, not selling the GTX660, best I would do is give it away to a friend...).

Ty.

What other hardware do you have in your system?

Chipset, CPU etc.

Why not save a little more and get the 980? The 780Ti is actually a faster card than the 970 and is cheaper. The 980 is a better card than the 970 and not too expensive! 

Last time I asked this question on some hardware forums (EVGA, lots of good info there) I was basically told it's not worth it if you're just trying to keep it for physx because very few titles use it, and those that do the new modern GPU's actually give better performance when processing it onboard.  Also if you leave the old card in the system, depending on your motherboard you might cut your PCIE bandwidth from 16x to 8x without the benefit of SLI.  As far as multiple monitors, the EVGA 970's for example (and likely any of them) support up to 4 monitors.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Hi, This is my setup, what should i change to stop the stutter and low FPS in FSX.

I thought i had a high end setup.

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z mother board

AMD FX - 8350 8-core 4.0GHz clocked to 4.5GHz

Radeon FX 7950 3gig GDDR5 GPU

Kingston DDR3 12 gig RAM

2 TB Seagate SSHD

WIn7 64bit

Thanks

/Steve

what should i change to stop the stutter and low FPS in FSX.

well Nvidia GPU's and Intel CPU's are the go to hardware for FSX.

So I figure you should change everything. Sorry!

Hi, This is my setup, what should i change to stop the stutter and low FPS in FSX.

I thought i had a high end setup.

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z mother board

AMD FX - 8350 8-core 4.0GHz clocked to 4.5GHz

Radeon FX 7950 3gig GDDR5 GPU

Kingston DDR3 12 gig RAM

2 TB Seagate SSHD

WIn7 64bit

Thanks

/Steve

I'm afraid Dave is right!

I'm a bit of a ###### when it comes to NVIDIA GPU's and intel CPU's / based hardware. AMD are good, but for FSX many seem to have better success at better performance with Intel and NVIDIA hardware. 

Why not save a little more and get the 980? The 780Ti is actually a faster card than the 970 and is cheaper. The 980 is a better card than the 970 and not too expensive! 

It's not about saving, it's about the decision. I might also get the 980, I am actually still deciding.

I was only thinking if there is any, ANY benefit of leaving the old GPU in, if not, as I said, I might just give it away. It has ran it's course.

I am actually still deciding.

Nobody can advise you if we don't know what other hardware you have in your case.

CPU? MB? DRAM?

It's not about saving, it's about the decision. I might also get the 980, I am actually still deciding.

I was only thinking if there is any, ANY benefit of leaving the old GPU in, if not, as I said, I might just give it away. It has ran it's course.

The only benefit is if you want to use more then 4 monitors , otherwise toss it out,

I'll assume that the rest of the hardware in your case is the same vintage or older than the GTX660.

Whereas upgrading your current video card to a GTX970 will certainly make a difference to all kinds of modern PC games I doubt it will make any difference to all to FSX or Prepar3D V2.

Start up the Sim and open your task manager and take a look at what the main core is doing under performance. Then open up MSI afterburner or some other utility that will graphically show you the GPU usage. I am willing to beat that the main core of the CPU will be hitting 100% usage while the GPU has plenty to spare.

Here is the kicker. If this is in fact the case and you are buying that new card for the sole purpose of getting more FPS or smoother performance out of your system, its not going to happen and you will only :t0103: yourself off when you find out the hard way.

I did that GPU upgrade merry-go-round many times before I got it into my thick skull that it benefits FSX naught.

If you want better performance in FSX build a entirely new system.

I could be wrong but try the test above and see for yourself.

The rest of the HW is an Asus P8Z67-V Pro and 2600K, which is currently running at 4.4Ghz. The FSX is pretty fine with some tweaks set up. I am getting the GTX980 mostly for other games and P3D. Maybe even to run DSR if I like it.

But, I think it will make a big difference in P3D, and in FSX maybe only in some scenarios where my GTX660 hits the limit. And yes Avidean, mostly the CPU is hitting the wall, with FSX. However not always, I have many situations where I observed the GPU being at 99%. And in P3D, the GTX660 is very often at 99%, depending what settings I choose of course.

I know what to expect from this card, and the sole use is NOT FSX/P3D. I play many other games, and they will benefit greatly. It is simply time for change, is all.

But, it seems my question has been answered. Toss it out.

I recently upgraded from 680 to 780ti and the difference was huge !!!!

My cpu is still 2700k but the video card alone made a huge difference I'm using p3d in case of Fsx I don't know deleted it .... :)

I am only mad that I bought to for $700 week or two before 980 came out and prices fell LOL, but oh well :)