Sign in to follow this  
netshadoe

Why didn't you guys kick me? :)

WOW!!!  Don't know what took me so long to hop on over to P3D!!!  Glad I did!

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Would like to join you and celebrate likewise, but $200 for the licence? Ouch!! Guess, I'll pass on this occasion.

Why $199?  Get the academic license for $60.  Unless you're a developer, AFAIK, both are the same for the average user.  Just a hardly noticeable watermark in the extreme top right of the screen (I hardly see it anymore). 

Not worth $150 to have it removed.  :)

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

The $200 is a small part of the  thousand or more I have spent on FSX add ons. Just not ready to flush that and start over. Getting too old.

Vic green

Get the academic license for $60.

I thought one had to be a bona fide student to acquire that as I'd read some posts here that went back and forth about the legitimacy of acquiring such software under false pretences.

I don't have it (and yes I know there is another option) but for $200 if it is the most amazing sim....might be worth it.  

Why does everyone always go right to this as a cause not to upgrade when you can easily get the $60 version with no downsides other than a small font text in the upper right corner you hardly notice?   

The $200 is a small part of the  thousand or more I have spent on FSX add ons. Just not ready to flush that and start over. Getting too old.

I have $1200 in add-ons for FSX, 90% of which are now loaded into P3D without problem.    $12 bucks to transfer thousands to a more stable, better running and actively developed simulation platform?   Why wouldn't you?

I thought one had to be a bona fide student to acquire that as I'd read some posts here that went back and forth about the legitimacy of acquiring such software under false pretences.

LM does not check your credentials at the time of purchase.    An army of lawyers are not going to descend upon your family because you dared to use a simulator for personal learning and entertainment purposes.    As you didn't have to lie to purchase the product there is no 'false pretenses' to give.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Kuragiman

You'd make a good advocate---you've got me sold, buddy. Makes sense, a platform that can utilise today's hardware instead of the dead-in-the-water 'you know what'!

Thanks for those viewpoints.

WOW!!!  Don't know what took me so long to hop on over to P3D!!!  Glad I did!

I have been kicking for months - welcome aboard

Rich Sennett

I would if i could find my Boots. :smile:

seriously though,i just moved over and now wish i'd done it earlier.

As Kuragiman said earlier.there are no issues using the Academic licence,I'm learning new things about flight simulator all the time and this is after nearly 30 years.

you won't regret moving to prepar3d.

steve

Just remember, if you have a ton of FSX add-ons and you want to save a majority of them and use them in P3D pick up the Flight Estonia Migration Tool for $12 bucks.   This little work horse takes the pain out of transfering your add-ons over to P3D.  The things that will give you the most headaches are airplanes if they are extremely complex.    Your PMDG aircraft will be grounded, all except the 737NGX which easily transfers into P3D using the tool.   Most of the other big add-ons have P3D versions of their aircraft now.   Major tools like EFB, Active Sky NEXT, FTX Global and REX Direct all work natively in P3D without the need to rebuy the program.   MegaSceneryEarth products work great in P3D.   Most airports work great!  The only airports that DO NOT work, at all, in P3D, are all the airports from Imaginesims.    Flightbeam and FS Dream Team are P3D native now.   Taxi2Gate, LativeVFR and FlyTampa airports are either P3D native now or transfer with the Migration Tool without problems.    

Come toward the light!   See the future!  It starts with a P and ends with a D.  :)

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Will do later tonight.Thanks for the buying 'tips' to all.

Just ordered, I take it that v2.4 is the very latest and I don't have to download that patch? And with that Migration Tool I should be able to take over my FSX add-ons? Or is it a bit more involved/complicated than that? And this platform can use 64-bit software?

Just ordered, I take it that v2.4 is the very latest and I don't have to download that patch? And with that Migration Tool I should be able to take over my FSX add-ons? Or is it a bit more involved/complicated than that? And this platform can use 64-bit software?

2.4 is the latest.  Grab the full version, not the update  No, it is not 64 bit... YET.

Read the manual on the Migration Tool.   Do you plan to remove FSX or keep it?  You can have FSX and P3D at the same time but you must remember to turn the migration tool off before flying in FSX.    

I am not sure how add-ons work if you already have them installed in FSX.  Again, read the manual in regards to this.  I think you can have duel installations.

I just made my life simple and completely uninstalled every add-on from FSX and wiped FSX off my PC.  I have no need or desire to return to that dinosaur that never worked right for me anyway.    IF you go this route be sure you use each add-on's uninstaller if it has one so your keys will be added back into your activation pool on add-ons that have activation limits (like PMDG 737NGX does).  Just deleting the folders and files with windows is ill advised as the add-on will still think its installed as far as activation keys go.

It's not really complicated.  Just follow the directions and you'll be good to go.   ANd just because I am methodical, I installed ONE add-on at a time, ran P3D, tested that one add-on before installing the next add-on.    This is to prevent you from going crazy trying to figure out which of your 50 addons you installed all at once is making your P3D crash.  Do it one at a time then you will know right away the culprit if you have any crash problems.

Welcome to the world of 3D cockpit shadows, shadows cast from weather, Video cards actually being used for processing power instead of being mostly ignored and far superior memory management of your 4 gig VAS.

100454.png

Brian Navy