Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

How to transition add-ons from FSX to p3d

Finally decided to pull the trigger and bought p3d tonight. I am trying to get used to the different menu's and settings and am a little confused on how to get my add-ons I have installed for FSX to install in p3d.

FTX Global

Active Sky NExt

Rex4 Texture Direct

FSUIPC

vpilot

How do I go about using these with p3d? Do I have to download my purchase again and re-install into p3d, or is there another way?

A good start would be to go to each of their websites and get the new installers meant for P3Dv2x.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

A good start would be to go to each of their websites and get the new installers meant for P3Dv2x.

Thank you. So am I basically going to have a double installation of most of these add-ons? Taking up double the space?

I use the FSX TO PREPAR3D Migration Tool  by Flightsim Estonia,

http://www.flightsim.ee/products/migration-tool

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Most addons won't need a migrator anymore as they are now compatible. Lots of scenery that you have in FSX can simply be added to the P3d scenery library while others will need a new install.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

For all Orbx/FTX products, unless you just bought them,  you will need to download the new version and select P3D install option when installing. There is no charge to download the new version of anything you already purchased.

Any old FSX program add on that has it's own auto installer to FSX, you will have to use the Estonia Migration tool which you have to purchase, but it is only about $12.00. If you fly on line and use the old FSinn/FS Co Pilot you will absolutely need the Migration too to install this and use it. Most FSX add on aircraft will work in P3D, just pay attention to where you are aiming the installer to. Scenery is another thing though. Some will work and some will not. For sure the Orbx/FTX have to use the new versions.

Estonian or russian migration tools, these are the most important tools in order to change from FSX to P3D.

A word of caution. A migrator would be IMHO a waste of money for what you bought (except vpilot as I dont know the program) !

In two months with P3D, I never had the need for a "migrator" for any of my aircraft or sceneries and my P3D load is 200 Gb ! And it works OK. No strange artifacts, no OOMS, no stutter, no slowness,  just plain enjoyable flying. 

Good aircraft like A2A, Sibwings or RealAir are no problem with their existing installer pointing to the right direction. Just browse around before doing a transfer to check if anything else has to be done like adding a small module for Sibwings birds ( the migrator wont write it for you anyway).

For the sceneries, I mostly use OrbX stuff and I didn't need the migrator either. The newer FTX sceneries have indeed a triple installer and the older FTX sceneries are being converted to P3D (50/90 right now). Better wait for the conversion as they wont migrate well with a migrator for several reasons. First they need to be optimized for the new sim and secondly, they are continuously (several times a year) updated with animated ObjectFlow which don't go so well through a migator installation. And you will not get the support of OrbX in case of any problem.   

Now, there might be programs which will need a migrator but I've not found one yet :) !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

domkle,

I did state that Orbx/FSX have new installers.

If you fly on line with a friend or on Multi Playet flights with your VA (not VATSIM) and use the old FSinn/FS Co Pilot to access the server, you will absolutely need the Migration too to install this and use it.

A word of caution. A migrator would be IMHO a waste of money for what you bought (except vpilot as I dont know the program)

!

Everyone's mileage varies. I have found the migration tool to be indispensable. There are several programs which are no longer updated and/or are awaiting an update: EZDok, Airbus A320/A321, MyTraffic X, Accu-Feel, Orbx Bob, to name a few; which need to be redirected to P3D. This redirection is necessary not only for installation; but also for configuration and maintenance. Now this can all be done manually, but do you want the aggravation? If so, enjoy the project. Just being able to install/use EZDok was worth the price of admission for me.

Probably the best advice so far, is to go to the websites for all of your adddons, and check for installers for the latest version of P3D. If they're all available, no need for a migration tool. If not, figure out what: folders, symbolic links, dummy FSX exe/cfg files, dummy registry entries, etc are required so that the program will play nice with P3D....or just get the migrator tool.

This is not meant to disrespect domkle's post. Just different addons...different circumstances.

Graham

Thanks guys, I was able to download each add-on I had purchased and use the p3d version installers. REX4, ASN, FTX Global, FSUIPC are all good to go. The only thing really left to try is VPilot, and a "high quality" 737 with fs2crew.

I am hoping VPilot will install and properly show other users aircraft while on VATSIM as I have a lot of models/liveries installed with IVAO. 

Everyone's mileage varies. I have found the migration tool to be indispensable. There are several programs which are no longer updated and/or are awaiting an update: EZDok, Airbus A320/A321, MyTraffic X, Accu-Feel, Orbx Bob, to name a few; which need to be redirected to P3D. This redirection is necessary not only for installation; but also for configuration and maintenance. Now this can all be done manually, but do you want the aggravation? If so, enjoy the project. Just being able to install/use EZDok was worth the price of admission for me.

Probably the best advice so far, is to go to the websites for all of your adddons, and check for installers for the latest version of P3D. If they're all available, no need for a migration tool. If not, figure out what: folders, symbolic links, dummy FSX exe/cfg files, dummy registry entries, etc are required so that the program will play nice with P3D....or just get the migrator tool.

This is not meant to disrespect domkle's post. Just different addons...different circumstances.

Graham

No offence taken Graham. I've not yet met an addon that needs a migrator. Some may certainly need one but none of the OP's (except again, maybe, vpilot) as he confirmed it 

Now, I suspect that the migrators botch some conversions (that would be the case, I guess, for a non converted OrbX scenery) which may explain some screams and teeth grinding on this forum and accusations flying against devs. (LM,OrbX etc.)

As you wrote, better check with the devs 'site first and I could add, before blindly buy a potential useless utility.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Some very, very interesting posts here as I have just pulled the trigger and made the purchase. I have many add-ons, e.g. FSDT, ORBX, FlyTampa, Aerosoft, PMDG, Level-D, just to name a few of the major names. So, not acquiring that Estonian Migration Tool, I could just visit the websites of these developers and get the P3D installers?

Please advice a total 'newbie'. Thanks.