Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

How to transition add-ons from FSX to p3d

Some very, very interesting posts here as I have just pulled the trigger and made the purchase. I have many add-ons, e.g. FSDT, ORBX, FlyTampa, Aerosoft, PMDG, Level-D, just to name a few of the major names. So, not acquiring that Estonian Migration Tool, I could just visit the websites of these developers and get the P3D installers?

Please advice a total 'newbie'. Thanks.

Yes, just go to wherever you purchased/downloaded the add-on and you will have to re-download your add-on. You will see that A. There is a separate download for both p3d and fsx. B.If there isn't a separate download, you will see the option of which to install in the installer for the add-on if it has that option. 

I guess if it doesn't there's some "cheating" to do or use the migrating tool. I will confirm later this afternoon if VPilot makes the transition without it.

Some devs/publishers have adapted their products, some not. You go to their site to check. 

If it is adapted (installer + optimization), you all clear. Download. Sometimes it is free (OrbX), sometimes it is not. Some have announced they will convert all their product line (OrbX, Real Air) , You'd better wait :). They know better.

Some devs/publishers have announced that they will not adapt older products (Aerosoft airports, I believe, for instance) or have not clearly stated that they will (A2A or Sibwings for instance).

You are then on your own You browse and ask to see how other users have done. Treasure hunt. Don't believe the first apprentice guru who has a miracle solution, cross check !  Some non converted products  easily work with the FSX installers, you just point to the P3D folder and add a fsx.exe. Some are trickier. In some cases, it seems that a migrator is necessary.

Some simmers use migrators for this purpose with (just my opinion) the risk to make a real mess when the addons is complex. Remember that P3D is not FSX (eg DX11) and with each LM update the less it will be and that transfering files into the right folders is a partial solution.

Some devs forbid to use their FSX products in P3D (no comment ...)  but they can be adapted as I often see screenies of PMDG aircraft (for instance :) ) in P3D screenshot forums.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

All the add-ons you listed in the start of this thread have P3D installers and will not require the migration tool.

This tool works fantastic though!   I used it for all of my non-P3D airports, aircraft and extra odds in ends (Accufeel, Shockwavelights, etc.) and with the exception of a couple airports and a plane or two, it worked great.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Some very, very interesting posts here as I have just pulled the trigger and made the purchase. I have many add-ons, e.g. FSDT, ORBX, FlyTampa, Aerosoft, PMDG, Level-D, just to name a few of the major names. So, not acquiring that Estonian Migration Tool, I could just visit the websites of these developers and get the P3D installers?

Please advice a total 'newbie'. Thanks.

Rick,

For the most part, you should be good to go. Where there are no P3D installers, I used the migration tool. It will set you back all of 12 dollars.

FSDT - yes. I would install the latest standalone Addon Manager. If the installer is up to date, it will locate your P3D root folder and ask if you want to install there

Orbx - mostly yes. I had to trick the installers for Bozeman and Bob. Be sure you download and install the latest version of the P3D v2 libraries. There is a compatibility thread in their forum. You may need up to date installers

FlyTampa - yes. I have Tampa rebooted and Montreal. I would download latest installers

Aerosoft - depends. A318/A319 ok. Brandenburg ok. AES no, even with migration tool. Heathrow Xtended ok. A320/A321 - needs to be tricked manually or with migration tool (there will be a P3D compatible version shortly) . Munich needs to be tricked.

PMDG - not advisable. Violates EULA. 747 and NGX need to be tricked. 777 will not function (purposely crippled). I have none of them installed. See this post:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/454122-25oct14-first-glance-at-pmdg-777-200-for-prepar3d/

Level D - I don't have any of their products.

Hope this gives you a start,

Graham

Thanks, guys, for all those very helpful posts. Just installing P3D. What about the earlier question of utilising the full gamut of a 64-bit OS, Windows 7 64-bit Pro+Haswell 4.2GHz+16Gb RAM? If it does, I will look to upgrade my current CTX560Ti GPU later.

EDIT:

Brilliant Graham. Thank you, sir. Most informative.

Aerosoft's airports, AXE 320/321+A318/319. Forgot to add UK2000 airports to earlier list.

Will leave PMDG as it works solidly for me in FSX as it currently stands.

Just made my very first flight, in the default Baron 58. Rock steady 20FPS throughout a short sortie. Impressed. Now to climb up the progression tree, adding as per advices here.

Yeah I wasn't super impressed by the visuals of the sim, then again I don't have it set up properly yet. My only big complaint is how reflective the water looks like a mirror.looks fake even with Rex textures.

Any one know if there's a way to import fsuipc settings from fsx? Would hate to have to program it again in p3d.

Forgot to add UK2000 airports to earlier list.

Rick,

I moved over to Aerosoft Heathrow Xtended. No knock against UK2000. While I used UK2000, no issues.

Graham

Yeah I wasn't super impressed by the visuals of the sim, then again I don't have it set up properly yet. My only big complaint is how reflective the water looks like a mirror.looks fake even with Rex textures.

Any one know if there's a way to import fsuipc settings from fsx? Would hate to have to program it again in p3d.

Just copy your Fsuipc.ini over to P3D and also the profiles and any macro files you may have

Thanks it worked smooth! 

I am having issues with vPilot. I got it installed over into p3d and ti shows up in the game menus correctly but I'm just not seeing other aircraft. I am using the IVAO model set.

I believe REX are close to releasing a texture update that will address the rather uninspiring water in P3D V2.

Graham