Sign in to follow this  
ozflyer

Affinity Mask

Hi,

I have an i7-920 @ 4GHz, with Hyper threading ON.

My graphics card is gtx 960, and use BP=0 in fsx.cfg

I have fps set at 15, and 1/4 vsync in Nvidia inspector.

I get smooth fps at 15.

Would including affinitty mask in fsx.cfg help ?. And if it would what should be the value.

I am basically looking for a smooth flight.

I also have SweetFX installed.

Thanks in advance

Hari

Guest JustanotherPilot

If your getting smooth frames rates with your current settings and are happy with that, why change? I just spent a solid week messing around with Affinity mask, hyperthreading, bufferpools and whatever else I could find to try and tweak my old i7-2600 only to go back to using the HIghmemfix=1 as my primary and reliable performance enhancer.

You can try 84 as the value.

If it does not improve your flight get rid of it.

Bert

If your getting smooth frames rates with your current settings and are happy with that, why change? I just spent a solid week messing around with Affinity mask, hyperthreading, bufferpools and whatever else I could find to try and tweak my old i7-2600 only to go back to using the HIghmemfix=1 as my primary and reliable performance enhancer.

Hi Steve,

I want to get to 20fps...

Hence, requesting if Affinity mask will help and what should be the value.

I should add, I have Steve's fixer and use DX10.

You can try 84 as the value.

If it does not improve your flight get rid of it.

Thanks Bert, will give it a try...

I want to get to 20fps....

correct value for affinity mask would be 84 for your quad core and HT on. It works great for me, there is a fps improvement. I think you can get much higher fps wit your system. Try FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15 or 0.20 too. 

If you want better fps, also try to set vsync to 1/2 in nvidia inspector, and lock fps internaly to 30 (this if your monitor refresh rate is 60Hz).

Take a look at some good guides, i recommned Word Not Allowed's guide for performance and smoothness. I tried all guides and nothing works better on my system

Guest JustanotherPilot

correct value for affinity mask would be 84 for your quad core and HT on. It works great for me, there is a fps improvement. I think you can get much higher fps wit your system. Try FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15 or 0.20 too. 

If you want better fps, also try to set vsync to 1/2 in nvidia inspector, and lock fps internaly to 30 (this if your monitor refresh rate is 60Hz).

Take a look at some good guides, i recommned Word Not Allowed's guide for performance and smoothness. I tried all guides and nothing works better on my system

Hi Steve,

I want to get to 20fps...

Hence, requesting if Affinity mask will help and what should be the value.

I should add, I have Steve's fixer and use DX10.

Thanks Bert, will give it a try...

I want to get to 20fps....

Here are the resources I tried

and downloaded the pdf tweak guide here

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww27.zippyshare.com%2Fv%2F74399773%2Ffile.html&h=0AQHemldR

Lot of interesting settings and the reasons why are included.

Here are the resources I tried

There are a lot of tweaks, but you need to find a balance for your system. Not all tweaks works together. Becouse of that, there are a couple of "recognized" guides, with fine, balanced tweaking. Here are some examples:

- My personal favorite is Word Not Allowed's guide, just google for "Word Not Allowed's Flight Simulation World". It works awesome on my systems, and another 10+ i've tuned for some people. I think this is the best choice for your system too.

- Avsim guide

- You can try DX10, just search for DX10 forums here on avsim

- There is a Nick N. guide, which never worked for me, and i don't recommend it. But you never know, just try all of them and find the best guide for you and your system

Before tweaking the FSX, you should tweak your windows a little bit, i recommend "tweakhound" website, just google for "tweakhound windows 7", or which version of windows you have. 

Hope this helps

15 and 1/4 in FSX? You know what you're doing man! 20fps and 1/3 would be very nice. The AM Bert mentioned would benefit your setup, or 168, maybe try 232, leave HT on. Not sure if you'll get up to 20 though, I hope so.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

15 and 1/4 in FSX? You know what you're doing man! 20fps and 1/3 would be very nice. The AM Bert mentioned would benefit your setup, or 168, maybe try 232, leave HT on. Not sure if you'll get up to 20 though, I hope so.

Bert / Steve

Thanks for the tips. .... got 20 fps, with PMDG 777 even in a thunderstorm.

I have Sweetfx and Steve's fixer at 8x and 8SGSS in NI.

All I had to do was set AM to 84, FFTF to 0.15, texture mult =40.

Getting constant 20 fps....

Don't want to clock the i7-920 anymore, its a 5 yet old rig :-)

All taken from Kostas guide....

Now thinking if I should push for 30fps... would be a big ask for my hardware .....???

Hi,

I have an i7-920 @ 4GHz, with Hyper threading ON.

My graphics card is gtx 960, and use BP=0 in fsx.cfg

I get smooth fps at 15.

Would including affinitty mask in fsx.cfg help ?. And if it would what should be the value.

I am basically looking for a smooth flight.

I also have SweetFX installed.

Thanks in advance

Hari

Also you can probably get a much higher clock out of that 2600k if you have a good mobo and do some homework. I can run mine at 4.8ghz on air, and 5.2ghz on high end water. That will give you much better improvement than that tweek :)

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

Also you can probably get a much higher clock out of that 2600k if you have a good mobo and do some homework. I can run mine at 4.8ghz on air, and 5.2ghz on high end water. That will give you much better improvement than that tweek :)

Chris, mine is a 5 year old i7-920, 2.66ghz stock speed.

I have it stable at 4ghz. I think my next upgrade will be when clock speeds hit 5 ghz (if ever !!!)

I've tried all the tweaks supplied by NickN, Word Not Allowed and Bjoote.  Some I've stuck with and some I've ditched.

The problem is that we all have different systems and set ups and whilst Word Not Allowed's may work for some, Nick's may work for others. Some involve the fsx.cfg and others involve system or graphics settings.

What works on a high end system may not work so well on a low end system and things that work well on a low end system may actually make a high end system worse.

best to try them all out and decide which work for you if you have the time. 

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I have a couple of issues here...

Why on earth leave Hyerthreading on for FSX?  I understood it was a given, that it's pointless, and possibly even detrimental for FSX?

Also, 'ditching' some of Nick N's tweaks....  I think that’s missing the entire point of his aims and what works.  Some of the 'tweaks' (for lack of a better word), are not aimed at making a direct improvement on their own and in their own right, but rather enabling the use, and better results of others.  So to not follow it as suggested, sort of defeats the object entirely.  The first few times I applied Nicks suggestions, I was reluctant, and missed a few steps.  However, after following it to the letter, I had a marked improvement.  Not always necessarily in frames, but CIRTAINLY in fluidity.

Just my opinions is all

I was having FPS and stutter issues with my i7-4770 that I couldn't figure out.  Turns out I didn't realize HT on my machine was defaulted to 'on' and I had affinitymask set to 14 which is for HT-off.  I changed it to 84 and got a massive imrovement in FPS and smoothness.  I was literally getting 8-9 FPS in the PMDG NGX over a dense city and once I changed affinitymask I am getting no less than 20 in the same scenario but locked at 30 most of the time otherwise. 

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11