Sign in to follow this  
alhefner

Finding my way around an airport...

I know that the numerical designation of a runway indicates what compass direction it runs but that's about it... I'm unsure of the "right" or "left" meaning in reference to the runways or much else about things like taxiway designations and things like that.

A map of whatever airport I was at would certainly help a lot! Not sure is there is something within FSX or an addon that I could use for that.

I guess what I'm looking for is something that would help me understand how to perform the directions given by ATC while on the ground. What the airport layout conventions are and such.

Google the ICAO name of your airport plus aeronautical charts and there's a good chance you can find everything you need

You may want to try www.skyvector.com.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Select "Outside View", then the overhead view. Use the + or - keys to zoom in and out.

Dale

Dale

There are many sites which offer vfr / ifr / ground charts. Like IVAO / Vatsim. 

What airport are you looking for ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I think I'm just looking for general knowledge and not airport specific right now. The suggestions above though are darned good ones! I did find charts/maps of airports using google and the sky vector site.

I'm not to the point of trying to find a specific gate or ramp area yet but that will happen eventually...

I know that the numerical designation of a runway indicates what compass direction it runs but that's about it... I'm unsure of the "right" or "left" meaning in reference to the runways or much else about things like taxiway designations and things like that.

A map of whatever airport I was at would certainly help a lot! Not sure is there is something within FSX or an addon that I could use for that.

I guess what I'm looking for is something that would help me understand how to perform the directions given by ATC while on the ground. What the airport layout conventions are and such.

As far as left, right, and even center for the runways, that just simply indicates you have parallel runways, so if you see 36 left, there's also going to be a 36 right obviously to the right of that runway. Other than that, you really just have to look at the charts since the taxiway designations are just designations that can be changed at any point. For instance, at JFK, prior to the reconstruction of runway 13R/31L, there used to be a taxiway KK. Taxiway KK no longer exists. Instead, taxiway KE has taken its place.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

As far as left, right, and even center for the runways, that just simply indicates you have parallel runways, so if you see 36 left, there's also going to be a 36 right obviously to the right of that runway. Other than that, you really just have to look at the charts since the taxiway designations are just designations that can be changed at any point. For instance, at JFK, prior to the reconstruction of runway 13R/31L, there used to be a taxiway KK. Taxiway KK no longer exists. Instead, taxiway KE has taken its place.

Kinda like stree naming huh? :lol:

That "DBS Studio Airport GPS" addon looks promising! Not too expensive. I'm looking into it now.

Get FSCommander, everything is labeled and you can see exactly where you are and where you need to go, as well as a ton of other info

Jay

If I don't have the chart available, I often just open a new FS window and open an overhead view in the corner of my screen.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Follow me 2 is now freeware.  It provides a follow-me car that leads you to the runway or from runway to parking.

Randall

Hi al,

Ideally, you'd have access to an Airport Diagram so you could study the layout of the airport including the taxiways, parking areas etc.  In the absence of this I use the freeware APChart.   A popup window takes the place of a real airport diagram but has the advantage of showing exactly what FSX thinks there is.  I tried to post some images here after uploading them to Box but this site doesn't allow this.  While en route I bring up the window, enter the ICAO of the airport I intend to land at, and study the info as I fly along.   APChart displays the parking areas with numbered spots, the runway and taxiway identifiers in a map view of the airport with north at the top.  It also has info about the frequencies, latitude, longitude and elevation.  Prior to first use a database must be built so it has access to all the current info that FSX uses.  There is a problem with this if using a newer version of Windows than XP.  When you try to create the database it doesn't report an error but just doesn't do it.  I'm using Win 7 64 bit and found that by going into Safe mode the database will be created without any problems.  As part of the program's installation the necessary code to display the popup window can be automatically added to the panel.cfg as the next available window.  I don't do this as I have the window assigned the left trigger of my yoke and want it that way for all my aircraft.

To sum up: APChart - Don't fly from home without it!

Jim F. 

If your scenery isn't turned up enough you will also find that the airport signs are missing, making navigating an airport quite a challenge without progressive taxi or a follow me car to lead the way.

An airport diagram is good to have for the large airports. You generally won't have these for small airports.

You have all been very heplful! Thank you! I dug ihnto my wallet and bought FS Commander and am now trying to learn it all... <_<  It took me a bit to figure out how to make FSX start in something other than full screen mode but, it ended up being pretty simple. Now, I can use FS Commander with FSX. My next ordeal is learning how to put the moving map up and sized so It's usable while I'm flying around... then on to making flight plans for sight seeing in the wilderness...then I gotta....

When I got FSX, I was thinking it might be a nice 'little' flying game. Boy, was I ever wrong! So much to do...so many options...so much to learn...I love it!