Sign in to follow this  
vonmar

Maddog MD80 FMC and SIDs STARs

Thanks for the information, Dave. I double your statement.

I strongly suspect there is a errant entry in the file that PMDG can tolerate but the Maddog isn't able to.

Vaughan, those are some funny leg entries indeed.

I tried CYWG to CYVR as a test because CYWG only has one SID in what I think is the best format and it worked .. no CTD.

SID runway layout for CYWG:

SIDS
SID ARKAY1
 RNW 13 HDG 134 UNTIL 1190 HDG 134 VECTORS
 RNW 18 FIX OVERFLY AVOTU FIX OVERFLY DUXUS HDG 171 VECTORS
 RNW 31 HDG 314 UNTIL 1190 HDG 314 VECTORS
 RNW 36 TRK 004 UNTIL 1190 HDG 004 VECTORS
ENDSIDS

CYWG-sid-1_zps7531b9de.jpg

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Yeah, if you'll please send that to Navigraph, they'll be able to correct pretty quickly and they'll issue an interim update.

This (and other things, like errant code resulting in dropping runways, SIDs, STARs, etc., have occurred from time to time during the converstion from the actual navdata to the FS navdata formatting. 

Thanks for posting.

Since we're all Maddog drivers here.... I thought I'd drop a line about Online Virtual Pilots Association.  We've been flying the Crazy Woofer in shared cockpit weekly on VATSIM for almost 8 years.... and LOVING IT.

If any of you guys are interested, please feel free to drop by the website or Voice Server (see links below).

We have some strict computer security requirements for shared cockpit (nothing more than up to date antivirus, firewall, etc.) but it's worth it!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

In post #6 CoolP mentioned:

"On another occasion, I was wondering how one could argue for a check from Navigraph. But since we are using PMDG data, which is copied over and works (over at PMDG planes), we can't really say "fix KDEN" for us. Tricky thing."

Best Regards,

arrgghhh.

I refuse to lead this horse to water for a third time.

I'll just fix it myself. Cool, I'll email you the files (let me know if your email changed).

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

arrgghhh.

I refuse to lead this horse to water for a third time.

I'll just fix it myself. Cool, I'll email you the files (let me know if your email changed).

I do not understand you statement. But it sounds as if you experienced this type of problem prior ... maybe with Online Virtual Pilots.

But anyway, will your fix fix all airports with this problem?

Best Regards,

I found the post that got me interested in checking out the FMC on Maddog.

I do not fly KDEN but thought I would take a look and see if I also had FMC problems.

Josh posted this in May of this year.

Someone with access to the Maddog forum could give him some follow up info.

http://www.flythemaddog.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9499

Best Regards,

CoolP mentioned in his post #4:

"Now I was trying to resolve the issue by running the cleanup tool (which wasn't needed so far since later PMDG data sets worked out of the box) and this very tool crashes at the KDEN file, so I guess there's something fishy inside it."

Today I used the Cleanup tool (without checking the fix waypoints box) on the PMDG cycle 1411.
KDEN and my KDTW now worked OK on the test I ran.

The procedure names displayed on the FMC are the old type format but selectable and usable.

Best Regards,

UPDATE ON LEONARDO

I'm told that Davide, the owner and lead developer of the Leonardo Maddog, has for some time been putting his programming skills to use at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland.  This explains why he's not been around much.

I'm justifying or even weighing in on the topic of developers selling products when they're not not available to support them (meaning that i won't respond to this regarding the Maddog).

What I will say is that the aircraft model set many developmental milestones which in turn helped many other developers to provide the types of products we see today. Regarding shared cockpit, only one other developer (Majestic) has produced an stable airliner shared cockpit simulator.

Guys, shared cockpit is truly AMAZING when it's done right.  I still make a lot of single cockpit flights, but when there is a VATSIM event, I do my best to hook up with one of my guys to fly it is shared cockpit - it is an AMAZING EXPERIENCE and INCREDIBLE FUN.

Anyway, there's the update.

Dave Hodges

Hi, Dave. Thanks for the update on Davide's situation. Was he in the team who discovered the "too fast" neutrinos btw?

Anyway, did you happen to take a look at what causes our KDEN file to crash the Maddog? You mentioned that you had a deeper understanding of the syntax.

Cool, not been able to get to it.  We were getting the house ready for guests (wife decided to paint the kitchen and dining room... arrrgghhh), and now ther're here.  An OVPA member and girlfriend (his, not mine - thank god) from Germany.  Had a different member here 2 weeks ago.  Anywhere, it's the Blue Angels Home Coming Air Show starting today and going for three days, and then we're off to Universeal Studios and the Annual OVPA Meeting in South Florida.  In other words, this is probably the last time I'll sit at the computer for about 12 days or so.

But I'll get it done!

Dave Hodges

Success---- I think.

After considerable trial and error, I managed to get a successful

flight from KDEN TO KDFW.  It wasn't easy.  As you guys have already

discovered, the problem lies with the DEP/ARR key.

So, if you are interested in flying the KDEN to KDFW flight plan,

you might have success by following the following steps verbatim

(i.e. exactly as outlined below).

-----------------------------

Step 1 Verify that when you start FSX, you will not be automatically

loading a funky default startup configuration and/or a previously

saved attempt at KDEN - KDFW.

FSX after the CTD, not anything else.  If you do not do this,

"forget__about__it".

order:

2 Current Location: KDEN - active runway
1 Current Aircraft: MADDOG  
3 and 4 order not important.  My successful test was a day flight.

I'll try night later.

Press [Fly Now]

You who should be sitting at the active runway in Denver Colorado.

The aircraft should be in Ready for Takeoff configuration (and not

cold and dark or anything else).  If not, start step 1 again.  If

necessary, crank up the dimmers to see the PFD & ND.

to program the FMC first.  If this is successful, you can then go

back and do your typical preflight stuff.

As you are already aware, something is wrong with the departure and

arrival programming process.  When we get to steps 4D & 4G below,

mistakes and/or redo's will cause a CTD.

So here we go on the FMC:

Step 4A: From the IDENT page, press LSKR6 - POS INIT. 

REF AIRPORT << in this order.  Then press LSKR6 -ROUTE

(DO NOT PRESS LSKR6 - ACTIVATE ANYTIME DURING ANY THIS STEP OR ANY

STEPS BELOW UNTIL I SPECIFICALLY INCLUDE IT IN THESE INSTRUCTIONS)

Step 4D: Press [DEP/ARR] key just once.  From the DEP/ARR INDEX

page, press LSKL1 - <DEP KDEN.

runway "25". Then select SID "JMPRS1".  Then press LSKR6 - ROUTE.

rwy 25:

• --"DRAKE" (1ST ONE IN THE LIST) -<<press [NEXT PAGE]>>
  • --"PUB" (1ST ONE IN THE LIST)
  • --"TBE"
  • --"PNH" (1ST ONE IN THE LIST) -<<press [NEXT PAGE]>>
  • --"POTTY"

Step 4G: Press [DEP/ARR] for the 2nd and last time.  From the

DEP/ARR INDEX page, press LSKR2 - KDFW  >ARR.  Page down to 3/22 and

select "RNV17C".  Page down again to 3/22 and select "DEBBB1.17C".

Page down to 2/22 and select "POTTY". 

• Now press LSKR6 - ROUTE.   
  • Now press LSKR6 again - ACTIVATE. 
  • Now press "EXECUTE"

That's it -- you're done with the route portion of programming the

FMC.  Proceed with the PERF INIT and TAKEOFF stuff and your pre-

flight. 

I'm old, lazy and tired so I recommend you try other flight

plans from KDEN following this strict process.  Post here whether I

just have a lucky combination or it really works with other flight

plans.

If you are successful, try adding your other FSX goodiesn the mix.  

"Step 1 Verify that when you start FSX, you will not be automatically loading a funky default startup configuration and/or a previously saved attempt at KDEN - KDFW."

Glad you got your flight to work.

But, I use the Maddog's Load Manager program to set fuel, cargo, choose my livery, and automatically start FSX with the aircraft Cold and Dark at my default departure airport (KDTW).

Then I select the FSX airport and gate I want for today's flight.

Then I do the normal checklist.

What we need for this forum topic is a fix for the PMDG SIDs and STARs procedures files that are used by Maddog so we can do normal FMC programming for all airports without a CTD.

Best Regards,

Unfortunately vonmar missed the central point . . . My goal was to determine whether (or not) it is possible to program MADDOG's FMC for KDEN - KDFW and report my findings to this forum.  The answer is yes if you follow the outline above.  There is noting special about my hardware or the outline above.  I simply chose to eliminate time consumers that delay my focus on the problem (the FMC).  Regarding my outline above, it is the nornal process of programming the FMC  - nothing special except  . . .read on.  

The next logical step is to determine whether (or not) my success was just a fluke (i.e. an anomoly - lucky  - whatever).  I was hoping others (including Dave CT above )would help me by trying my outline above and provide such valuable feedback.

Other findings:

1. Regarding KDEN , MADDOG's FMC requires strict compilance to the following programming sequence:  SID/ROUTE/STAR in that order.

2. Know exactly what [Runway / SID /  Star / Transition combo] you intend to program.  Don't just try various combos by changing your mind midsteam and try edit or start over.  You will get the CDT quick!!!

3. I discovered issues with waypoints- BOIDS, RUBEE, CQY8.13B,  and others starting with CQY8____).  It could (or not) be the source of the problem.

If others are also successful, we may be on to something good but "next steps (i.e. more investigation) " must follow.

The ultimate goal is to fly the Maddiog from KDEN to wherever with all addons and enhancements in play.  I'm just suggesting we be methodical about how we proceed.

Advanced thanks for any help on this.

PS#  Now that I have successfully programmed the FMC for KDEN - KDFW, I will try again but this time I will precede my outline above w/ MADDOG's Manager and Setup function for a cold and dark startup.  I will report my findings here again.

Always a pleasure . .