Sign in to follow this  
vonmar

Maddog MD80 FMC and SIDs STARs

"PS#  Now that I have successfully programmed the FMC for KDEN - KDFW, I will try again but this time I will precede my outline above w/ MADDOG's Manager and Setup function for a cold and dark startup.  I will report my findings here again."

Did it work without a CTD?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

ibomiles,

In post #30 you mentioned:

"3. I discovered issues with waypoints- BOIDS, RUBEE, CQY8.13B,  and others starting with CQY8____).  It could (or not) be the source of the problem."

Did you find that waypoints are bad?

Best Regards,

Success---- AGAIN . .

This time i started with the Maddog Load Manager and Setup Utility.  After just the 2nd try using the following outline verbatim , I managed to get a successful flight plan from KDEN TO KDFW. It was easy. The 1st try failed beccause I did not follow the outline. As you guys have already discovered, the problem lies with the DEP/ARR key. I have highlighted the section that causes the CTD if skipped or changed.  So, if you are interested in flying the KDEN to KDFW flight plan, you might have success by following the following steps verbatim (i.e. exactly as outlined below).

-----------------------------

Step 1 Start FSX w/o the Maddog Load Mgr & Setup Utility. Establish a saved file named "Previous Flight" (which is cold and dark at the gate). Shutdown FSX.

Step 2 Launch the Maddog Load Mgr & Setup Utility as usual. Configure the "Load Manager" and "Fuel Planner at your discretion. When finished, click the "Setup" Tab.

Step 3 From the Setup Tab,

a.. Default Situation - Add path to "Previous Flight" (you can try other configurations later)

b. Panel State - select cold and dark

c. Set any other parameters you desire. 

d. "Check" - Start FSX & "Check" Reload Saved State. "Check/ Uncheck" Set FSX weather" at your discretion.

Step 4 Press OK to launch FSX. <<Caution FSX may launch w/o having the focus. This is not a CDT. Becuase of configuration file activity, FSX may lose focus (i.e. suddenly the PC switches to the desktop and you have to open it from taskbar again.>> here's how to get FSX to regain focus:

focus on FSX:

Without clicking it, scroll your mouse to rest on the FSX Icon on the Taskbar.

Another Icon in a gray box will appear named "Microsoft Flight Simulator X". Right click this icon and select Maximize from the drop-down menu. FSX will appear (i.e. now has the focus).

Step 5 Load the MADDOG normally for "Free Flight". Setup in the following

order:

2 Current Location: KDEN - active runway
1 Current Aircraft: MADDOG
3 and 4 order not important. My successful test was a day flight.

I'll try night later.

Press [Fly Now]

You who should be sitting at the gate in Denver Colorado. The aircraft should be in cold and dark" configuration (and not anything else). If necessary, crank up the dimmers to see the PFD & ND.

Step 6 Forget about all the other pre Flight for now. We're going to program the FMC first. If this is successful, you can then go back and do your typical preflight stuff.

As you are already aware, something is wrong with the departure and arrival programming process. When we get to steps 6D & 6G below, mistakes and/or redo's will cause a CTD.

So here we go on the FMC:

Step 6A: From the IDENT page, press LSKR6 - POS INIT.

(DO NOT PRESS "[LSKR6 ACTIVATE]" ANYTIME DURING ANY THIS STEP OR ANY STEPS BELOW UNTIL I SPECIFICALLY INCLUDE IT IN THESE INSTRUCTIONS.)

Step 6D: Press [DEP/ARR] key just once. From the DEP/ARR INDEX page, press LSKL1 - <DEP KDEN.

--"DRAKE" (1ST ONE IN THE LIST) -<<press [NEXT PAGE]>>

--"PUB"

--"TBE" (1ST ONE IN THE LIST)

--"PNH" (1ST ONE IN THE LIST) -<<press [NEXT PAGE]>>

--"POTTY"

Step 6G: Press [DEP/ARR] for the 2nd and last time. From the DEP/ARR INDEX page, press LSKR2 - KDFW >ARR. [PgDn] to 3/22 and select "RNV17C". Page down again to 3/22 and select "DEBBB1.17C". [Pg Dn] to 2/22 and select "POTTY".

Now press LSKR6 - ROUTE.

Now press LSKR6 again - ACTIVATE.

Now press "EXECUTE"

That's it -- you're done with the route portion of programming the FMC. Proceed with the PERF INIT and TAKEOFF stuff and your pre-flight.

Post here whether it really works with other flight plans. If you are successful, try adding your other FSX goodies into mix.

Regarding the problematic waypoints mentioned above, I can see them in the FMC but I cannot select them (i.e. use them in my flight plan. 

ibomiles, I hope you don't take my question as offensive but are you aware that you (successfully, I think) working around the issue of faulty (for the Maddog) nav data?

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to actually be able to solve the problem? A "wrong" button press on the FMC should not lead to a crashing sim, right?

No offense taken . . .Afterall, FSX is just a game so we shouldn't get too uptight about it.  However, like you, I would appreciate the best gaming experience possible during the block of time I devote to it.

Unfortunately vonmar, you're not understanding what I'm trying to accomplish here so I'll briefly repeat it again.

Excerrpts of what I I Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:38 PM:

......... . . . My goal was to determine whether (or not) it is possible to program MADDOG's FMC for KDEN - KDFW and report my findings to this forum. . . . . .

. . . .

If others are also successful, we may be on to something good but "next steps (i.e. more investigation) " must follow.

The ultimate goal is to fly the Maddiog from KDEN to wherever with all addons and enhancements in play.  I'm just suggesting we be methodical about how we proceed.

So you see vonmar you and I are pursuing the same goal "a permanent fix"

My learnings:

1. We were warned that PMDG data may not be fully compatible.
2. Most likely because of item #1 above, Maddog's FMC sees certain waypoints but cannot select them.
3. The KDEN CTD issue surfaces during SID/STAR selection but not during route selection.
4. We also know Maddog tech support is not available.  However, I'm not convinced this is a MADDOG issue.  It appears to be more of a data compatibility issue.

I am a user (not a programmer).  It is my hope that others with the necessary computer skills will read these posted clues and use them to assist in fixing the problem. 

Until a permanent fix is available, it is possible to fly the MADDOG from KDEN - KDFW for those anxious simpilots (like me) who have a burning desire to do so.

I 've taken this problem as far as my limited abilities will allow.

I 've taken this problem as far as my limited abilities will allow.

And thumbs up for those efforts.

I'm writing from a bit of a lazy position of course where I point out that the problem (most likely) lies within the nav data (and, therefore, should be cured right there) while doing nothing to actually investigate it. :blush:

ibomiles,

After setting up the FMC ...just prior to taxi, if ATC gives you a new departure runway and different SID can you do the changes without a problem..?

Also did you happen to try SID PLAIN7 ?

Best Regards,

YES . . . .Once our flight plan has been establised, we can any changes we want in  the FMC.  The issue with KDEN magically disappears!!  

I went back through and really tried to envoke a CTD but was happily unsucessful. It's  the craziest thing!!

vonmar,

PLAIN7 is your task. . . . .so get busy . . . :P

ibomiles,

I will test your current instructions.
But, I would like to be using the same Navdata (Airac cycly) that you are using in the Maddog2008\ SIDSTARS folder.

1. What is your Airac Cycle?
* it will be on your FMS IDENT page.

You have SID JMPRS1
** I have JMPRS2, so we have different Airac cycles.
** maybe also copy your SID section from KDEN and post it here.
I will see if mine is the same format.

2. when you get an Airac cycle do you run the Maddog "Cleanup Utility"?

My learnings:

1. We were warned that PMDG data may not be fully compatible.

** Where did you see that?

2. Most likely because of item #1 above, Maddog's FMC sees certain waypoints but cannot select them.

*What are you doing when cannot select them?
* can you give an example?
* then I will try the same here.

3. The KDEN CTD issue surfaces during SID/STAR selection but not during route selection.

** but you selected a SID without a CTD using your instructions??
"Step 6E: From the KDEN DEPARTURES page, [PgDn] to 2/3 and select runway "25". Then select SID "JMPRS1"."

Best Regards,

ibomiles,

The Navdata Airac Cycle dates can be found in the cycle_info.txt file inside this folder:
F:\FSX\FMCWP\NAVDATA:

The KDEN SIDs are in the KDEN.txt file inside this folder:
F:\FSX\MADDOG2008\SIDSTARS

Best Regards,

Wow I've been away from this topic a long time.  11/2014 was a life changing time for me so I had to shelf this hobby. Is KDEN causing CTD still a problem for some?