Sign in to follow this  

Now that I am permanently switched to DX10 with great results, I am impressed with white cups responding to wind strength.

How about wave size and it's direction could be dynamically controlled by weather too.

I understand these variables can be changed statically in the WaterConstants.Xml.

That would be really amazing.(?)

mike

Sim,PC, monitor,prescription glasses, chair.

what do you mean by a wave here? Are you speaking of the view of an ocean from 30,000ft, the effect animation on a beach of the water movement seen from a seaplane.

what I'm talking about is the direction of the waves. ( not beach brake)

When you're flying over water surface at say 500 feet I could clearly see white cups and there are more or less of them depending on wind strings, but I checked and the direction is always the same, it doesn't seem to be responding to two winds changeable direction and not to be too greedy but also the size is always the same, n real life waves are a lot smaller with light winds and grow with winds strength.

The white caps should be aligned with the wind and their frequency changes with the wind strength - are you using a water texture with a static picture of waves on it?

Yes, my textures have static wave on it.

I am using active sky textures, where do I find one without static wave?

If it comes to white cups, for me they are changing frequency with wind strength, but not the direction.

direction is always from the west about 270 - 280

If it comes to white cups, for me they are changing frequency with wind strength, but not the direction.

Mike and Steve, I just wanted to add that this is also true on my setup - the waves always travel the same direction regardless of wind direction.  In regards to water and waves I'm using only original FSX texture and effects files by the way.

Mike, I see you're just ahead of me in the competition for fewest posts per time as Avsim member! :wink:

Simon

I am now not convinced that the FSX core sets the wind direction up correctly for the water calculations so it may not unsolvable.

I am now not convinced that the FSX core sets the wind direction up correctly for the water calculations so it may not unsolvable.

It doesn't Steve. Unfortunately. 

By the way, the underlying water textures REQUIRE a fluctuation in pixel RGB values or you'll experience a grid effect in-sim.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com