Sign in to follow this  
Dazkent

Thinking about trying out DX10

Hi

I'm pretty happy with the way FSX runs on my pc using DX9 and I recently purchased the DX10 fixer as i have been thinking about going the DX 10 route. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer for me. I already use Nvidia Inspector for my GTX770 card.

Is it easy to set up?

What are the advantages of running in DX10?

And can I switch between DX9 and DX10?

kind regards

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV1523

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

I recommend to read this comprehensive document regarding the DX10 fixer at first, see here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?88271-DX10-quot-How-to-quot-Guide-a-new-home!

Is it easy to set up? 

Yes. Add. improvements are necessary e.g. to activate the NvidiaInspector (freeware) 

What are the advantages of running in DX10?

VC shadows, no OOM´s, smoother scenery flow, nearly no stutter, 10 to 25% higher framerates in local scenery area (less fps advantage in autogen scenery area), in ORBX scenerys no floating houses, water crowns more realistic and many more features....

And can I switch between DX9 and DX10?

Yes

Wulf

Wulf just answered your questions there.

I love the smoothness and graphics in DX10.  The water is fantastic, and one of my favorite feature is being able to turn on light bloom with very little to no fps loss.

No way back for me since I started using it :-)

Yet, there are users, specially with ATI cards, with different opinion. Mine is a GTX 650 Ti 1 GB ASUS, and with the Fixer, which I installed and used with the default settings with just AA set to 4x in the main menu screen. Smooth as silk.

Whenever you install aircraft or scenery, make sure you run the Fixer so that it processes the required conversions.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Why spend $32.24 for the DX10 fixer when for only another $27 you could move to Prepar3D with DX11, cloud shadows and much improved coding over FSX.

Why spend $32.24 for the DX10 fixer when for only another $27 you could move to Prepar3D with DX11, cloud shadows and much improved coding over FSX.

If like myself you run PMDG aircraft almost exclusively!  Well, I do fly some others at times but nonetheless I faced the same thinking a couple weeks ago but ended up going with the fixer.  I'm very happy with the results as FSX has never ran or looked better for me.  That being said, I will likely move to P3D early next year once the PMDG 737 and 777 are available....

Dazjkent - If you are used to fiddling with your .cfg file and doing occasional tweaks it's pretty easy to set up.  I was wondering the same thing before I made the jump.  Read the document Wulf posted, make sure you save a copy of your .cfg and Nvidia inspector settings for both DX9 & DX10 and it's easy to switch back and forth.  I initially switched back to DX9 as I thought it was causing bad fps but it ended up being somthing totally unrelated.  Went back over to DX10 after sorting that issue out, messed with some of the fixer settings and I'm very happy!

Eric

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I like to be entertained when I fly :wink: .

Don't know about others who are in DX10, but I'm staying with FSX.  I never get ctd or oom and the cloud/cockpit shadows doesn't do anything for me.  Plus, I can fly my PMDG's.

For one thing, not everyone has a DX11-compatible graphics card. With Steve's fixer, I get smooth graphics and excellent VC shadows in FSX using an old GTX 275 card (I can hear the gasps of amazement!) without having to update my system. Also, whilst cloud shadows look impressive, they seem to be a real performance killer for a lot of people even with fast processors and high-end graphics cards. On balance, the cost of the scenery fixer is an absolute bargain for me compared to the huge cost of the new, high-end, system I would need to run Prepar3d smoothly.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I recently switched to DX10 and found that with Steve's fixer and the recommended How-To guide it was easy and painless. DX10 is much more efficient than DX9 and the sim runs more smoothly even with higher display settings and bloom/aircraft self-shadow enabled.

Also, add the ForceVCShadowMap=1 tweak into the [Display] section of FSX.cfg so you don't have to mess with tweaking your aircraft interior models.

I have plenty of addon scenery and planes and have yet to see any problems.

Yes you can switch back to DX9, but so far I haven't found a reason to switch back.

Probably sometime next year I'm going to rebuild my sim from scratch based on P3D, but in the meantime this is a very easy way to get more satisfaction from FSX.

Barry Friedman

I have plenty of addon scenery and planes and have yet to see any problems.

Yes you can switch back to DX9, but so far I haven't found a reason to switch back.

I agree completely! I have a fairly modest system and DX10 runs well. More to the point, with Steve's fixer, haven’t had any scenery problems. I have seen a tiny improvement in FPS but it mainly just looks smoother overall. Without Steve's Fixer, DX10 is clunky with lots of problems and I'm sure that many people have been put off by it. The Fixer has solved most (all?) of the fixable problems and those that remain don't seem to be significant or noticeable. The fact that it's so easy to use and that it allows you to switch back painlessly to DX9 (why would you want to?) is a big bonus.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Any of you try DX10 without Vsync?

I disabled it a few weeks ago and I'm getting the best FSX performance I've ever had.  Much better smoothness than disabling it in DX9. 

no OOM´s,

Is that really true? I am experiencing oom problems caused by using pmdg, ftx, fs global, as next, rex :), etc. If that's true, dx10 is the cure for all my pain...

Tried P3D 2.4, it's stunning to look at but too many OOMs on long flights, I've moved back into DX10, seems to be the most stable at the moment.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Tried P3D 2.4, it's stunning to look at but too many OOMs on long flights, I've moved back into DX10, seems to be the most stable at the moment.

Lee

Which tool should i use? Can i use both sweetfx and dx10?

Try the Fixer shading and lighting options 1st, they come bundled in the software. I haven't tried them all myself, but there seem to be a few different options.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090