Sign in to follow this  
Carob

FSX Acceleration, Deluxe, SP2...

Can someone explain to me the differences between the different flavors of FSX?  Acceleration, Deluxe, SP2, and any others I might be forgetting?

I'm confused.

Thanks!

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong...

Deluxe and Gold are pretty much the same thing with Gold having a few upgraded major airports (slightly better visuals compared to defaults).  They give missions as well.  If I remember correctly, Acceleration only contain the updates and SP2, so you have to have FSX already. 

Both come with SP2 so you get some fixes and you can enable DX10 with Steve's Fixer. 

FSX SP2 is the up-to-date version (if one can call something that's 8 years old "up to date"). It's actually the "normal" FSX plus the Service Pack 2 installed, which is freely available from the AVSIM library.

Deluxe is a variation of the standard FSX release, one of its main features is the introduction of the G1000 glass cockpit.

Acceleration is an expansion pack that also installs SP2. It comes with new aircraft, new misions and some new key assignments. Also, IIRC it introduced the DX10 Previw (but that might as well have been SP2, I don't recall)

And then there's also FSX Gold, which is basically FSX Deluxe plus the Acceleration expansion in one box.

So if a scenery package (or whatever) says it's for FSX Acceleration, why wouldn't it work in Deluxe SP2 as well?

And, is the SP1 and SP2 updates only for the "normal" edition or the "deluxe" edition too?

Acceleration includes additional aircraft, objects and effects aren't coded in Deluxe. 

Also, each version has a slightly different version of SimConnect, which TYPICALLY doesn't make a difference although some people have had incomplete/corrupt installations of SimConnect under Acceleration.

Biggest difference from an installation point of view is that Acceleration installs the updated Service Packs for you, where you have to do this manually under FSX Standard and FSX Deluxe.

FSX Gold is simply a marketing package with Deluxe and Acceleration included, you chose which to install (exampled in the instructions that come with it).  I suspect that installing Deluxe from the Gold package results in a different version of SimConnect than under the original package.

Hope this helps.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Just get the Gold edition

The "Gold Edition" contains both the Deluxe and Acceleration Versions, and is not an Version of FSX.  One has to chose which to install.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I already have the Deluxe edition.  Just need to know the differences.

And, understand why a scenery package that says it needs Acceleration wouldn't necessarily work in Deluxe.  I still don't get that.

Also, the other question still stands...

Are the SP1 and SP2 updates the same for both Normal and Deluxe?

http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/FlightSimulatorXServicePack1.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/FlightSimulatorXServicePack2.aspx

The "Gold Edition" contains both the Deluxe and Acceleration Versions, and is not an Version of FSX.  One has to chose which to install.

I have the Gold Edition.  It comes with FSX and the Acceleration disc.  I install the Acceleration disc right after installing FSX.  I'm not quite sure what you mean by "is not a version of FSX".  Isn't it the most complete version of FSX?

I already have the Deluxe edition.  Just need to know the differences.

And, understand why a scenery package that says it needs Acceleration wouldn't necessarily work in Deluxe.  I still don't get that.

Also, the other question still stands...

Are the SP1 and SP2 updates the same for both Normal and Deluxe?

http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/FlightSimulatorXServicePack1.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/FlightSimulatorXServicePack2.aspx

1, After years of running the different versions, I believe Deluxe is the most stable and offers the lesser of potential problems with SimConnect. Good choice in my book.

2. Because scenery developers use objects in their scenery which do not exist in Deluxe.  IMHO, Microsoft offered up Acceleration rather than a Service Pack to increase revenue (however, it did include additional aircraft). Beyond that, it was a business decision. I also wish scenery developers would not include these options, but generally speaking you can still run the scenery (you'll miss a few things, obviously).

3. The same SP1 and SP2 are for the Standard and Deluxe versions.

I have the Gold Edition.  It comes with FSX and the Acceleration disc.  I'm not quite sure what you mean by "is not a version of FSX".  Isn't it the most complete version?

Common misconception.

Also, your Gold package comes with DELUXE and ACCELERATION, it does not have the Standard (the first version).  Gold is a Package.  I have the Standard, Deluxe, Acceleration (originally sold as a single disk) and the Gold package (contains three disks).

So you see, FSX Gold is not a version, it is a package that includes two different versions of FSX.

Dave Hodges

Common misconception.

Also, your Gold package comes with DELUXE and ACCELERATION, it does not have the Standard (the first version).  Gold is a Package.  I have the Standard, Deluxe, Acceleration (originally sold as a single disk) and the Gold package (contains three disks).

So you see, FSX Gold is not a version, it is a package that includes two different versions of FSX.

Aaah, ok.  Thanks for the clarification.

If you care for military avaiation (especially carrier ops) you should get acceleration as it introduces some new codings esspecially for these kind of things. It works for everything else without any porblem whatsoever. 

Acceleration is an expansion pack that also installs SP2.

This is incorrect Flo. Acceleration was released long before SP2 was released (Microsoft was hoping everyone would buy the payware Acceleration first). Then they released SP2. SP2 is the freeware version of Acceleration and should never be installed with Acceleration. It is specially coded so that one cannot use the payware in Acceleration. Acceleration does contain SP1 though so all you need to install FSX is FSX Deluxe and Acceleration. Your installation is complete. Don't like Acceleration? Then install FSX Deluxe, SP1, and SP2. Go Fly.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

This is incorrect Flo. Acceleration was released long before SP2 was released (Microsoft was hoping everyone would buy the payware Acceleration first). Then they released SP2. SP2 is the freeware version of Acceleration and should never be installed with Acceleration. It is specially coded so that one cannot use the payware in Acceleration. Acceleration does contain SP1 though so all you need to install FSX is FSX Deluxe and Acceleration. Your installation is complete. Don't like Acceleration? Then install FSX Deluxe, SP1, and SP2. Go Fly.

Best regards,

So you are saying my FSX/A install is only patched to Service Pack 1?

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif