Sign in to follow this  
alhefner

Trying to figure out how to actually use FS Commander.

I have FS Commander loaded up and connected to FSX. The "Nav data" display comes up and so does a little black window...that never changes or displays anything. I would love to have the moving map visible but, I'm unable to change the size of it so, when I have it visible, it blocks out my cockpit view and that kind of makes flying a bit difficult.

I tried making a flight plan to depart from 4SD (Reno/Stead), fly around sight seeing, then return to 4SD but, all the waypoints I put in dissapear when I try to save it. Also, I get an error that it can't find the flight plan in FSX if I connect there. If I try to put the same flight plan in FSX, it won't allow me to put in any waypoints of my own like FS Commander does.

I know that I'm simply not understanding how things work and interract between FSX and FS Comander but I don't seem able to decipher what I'm doing wrong from the manual that Areosoft has put out (that's where I bought FS Commander since it comes with FSUIPC).

In short...I'm simply confused on how to use this program thaqt so many people are using successfully.

Hello

Have you run the FScommander database utility to create your database of FSX data ?

Run this first and then again anytime you add any new airports to FSX.

To use the moving map succesfully you really need to run FScommander on a networked machine or on a second monitor.

The Documentation is very good but you will need to read it fully to get the most from the program, and the developer is always active in the support forum.

http://forum.simflight.com/forum/75-fs-commander-support-forum/

I did run the database utility. All tha airports in FSX show up. I thought I could run the moving map and the GPS on a single monitor if I didn't use full screen mode? I'll go to that forum and see what I can find.

Hello

You can run the moving map on a single screen using window mode,but as you found it will cover quite a large part of the screen.

once FScommander is connected to FSX, the small GPS window will show up in the top left of the screen once you select it in FScommander

Have you set up the paths to FSX main dir and also the FSX flight plans dir correctly in the FScommander "save as" screen ?, and do those plans actually end up in the FSX flightplans folder once you have saved them ?

OK, I had the path to the flight plans messed up but it's right now. The planning feature is GOOD! I made a plan and loaded it into FSX without a problem. Works just like it should that way sand using the FSX panel GPS does fine for me.

I'm a bit confused on how to close out the flight planning window though. It is on top of the map page and when I click on the flight planning tab, the window for that pops onto it so I can make the plan but, after I save the plan, that planning window doesn't go away...I can't find out how to get rid of it other than closing out FS Commander and starting it up again.

The other thing is the little GPS window that opens when I connect the FS Commander GPS to FSX doesn't show the plan or anything other than text describing various poisitions and such... seems to be more of a status display.

OK, I had the path to the flight plans messed up but it's right now. The planning feature is GOOD! I made a plan and loaded it into FSX without a problem. Works just like it should that way sand using the FSX panel GPS does fine for me.

I'm a bit confused on how to close out the flight planning window though. It is on top of the map page and when I click on the flight planning tab, the window for that pops onto it so I can make the plan but, after I save the plan, that planning window doesn't go away...I can't find out how to get rid of it other than closing out FS Commander and starting it up again.

The other thing is the little GPS window that opens when I connect the FS Commander GPS to FSX doesn't show the plan or anything other than text describing various poisitions and such... seems to be more of a status display.

To close the FP window just click the "Flight Plan" menu then click on "Show Plan" again so it unchecks it, poof!

The other small window shows position, altitude, etc, I have it turned off so I really cant remember, most everything you need to know can be found clicking the Help menu.

Jay

There is a bit of a learning curve with it at first but once you get the hang of it it is as easy as drinking a beer.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

There is a bit of a learning curve with it at first but once you get the hang of it it is as easy as drinking a beer.

Cool! Only a couple of years to go then! :lol:

I'm slowly gettiing the hang of it. Now, I'm trying to figure out why the flight pauses every time I click on the little gps window or switch over to the moving map...

Go into FSX "Settings/General" and uncheck the "Pause on Task switch' option

Jay

Cool! Only a couple of years to go then! :lol:

I'm slowly gettiing the hang of it. Now, I'm trying to figure out why the flight pauses every time I click on the little gps window or switch over to the moving map...

Turn off Pause on task-switch in your FSX settings.

Have a look  in the manual on page 83 "GPS and moving map"