Sign in to follow this  
~Craig~

Beautiful VC Shadows? - who needs P3D2 !

I purchased P3D 2.4 at the weekend and spent the most frustrating 5 days of my "FS life" trying to get decent AA/AF working in ATI's Supersampling mode, with my ATI card / drivers.   (More details on that in another post).

Anyway I then installed the latest (new) version of Steve's DX10 Fixer.   I'd tried this before but again an ATI issue;  Vsync would not work with DX10 in FSX, with an ATI card.   (I use TrackIR so Vsync is vital).

Anyway, that was before "D3D Overrider" came along.

So with FSX in DX10, (tweaked by Steve's Fixer), and D3D Overrider, I have FSX looking unbelievably stunning including the one thing that I bought P3D2.4 for :-  gorgous VC shadows.

Frame rates and smoothness are fantastic.    HAPPY DAYS!

I'm not actually slagging off P3D 2.4 in any way - if you have a nVidia card it is better!! .... but if like me, you're stuck with an ATI card, then changes to the AA/AF system in P3D2.4 mean that ATI's Supersampling mode, which gives beautiful smooth AA/AF, now has a huge performance penalty in P3D2.4, that it just does not have in FSX.

So the choice for me was, use P3D 2.4's lovely features, with horrible AA/AF levels that are worse than I had 10 years ago ........... or move back to FSX with stunning, clean edged AA/AF courtesy of SuperSampling.

FSX+ DX10 fixer + D3D overrider

124.jpg

252.jpg

I'd rather take it built into the sim plus the underlying code is newer and currently being supported.  Great shots...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I'd rather take it built into the sim plus the underlying code is newer and currently being supported.  Great shots...

VC shadows are built in to FSX. Steve's fixer just improves them and lets you tweak them to your liking.

Brandon Filer

Are you having spike issues?  Does this new release fix the spiking that was common on ATI cards under DX10?

Ian R Tyldesley

I am happy to have VC shadows with PMDG T7, however I will retire FSX the moment it is available with P3D. I  enjoyed FSX for many years, but P3D volumetric fog, clouds shadows, etc cant be beat IMO (X-Plane off course has these features but I am not ready to make the move yet)

John.

Me to....... but as I said ;

I'm not actually slagging off P3D 2.4 in any way - if you have a nVidia card it is better!!

but with ATI cards, the AA/AF is pretty dire in P3D 2.4 unless you wack the level up to the maximum 8x .... and then you see you frames half !!  :blush: 

....and with my CCC driver at least, "override" options no longer work, so it's crappy low AA/AF or good frames .... not both.

When I can next afford to upgrade my card it will be a nVidia, but until then, FSX + DX10 fixer + D3D Overrider is a fantastic option for ATI users.

Are you having spike issues?  Does this new release fix the spiking that was common on ATI cards under DX10?

Absolutely no spikes here ....... just flew out of UK2000 EGLL with the 777, shadows enabled and pretty high settings.  Smooth as glass and no spikes.   But then, I don't think I had spikes the last time I tried DX10 with my ATI card.

Absolutely no spikes here

I'll give it another try, thanks.

Last time, within about 5 minutes the screen was a incoherent mess of geometric brown spikes. 

Ian R Tyldesley

Last time, within about 5 minutes the screen was a incoherent mess of geometric brown spikes. 

Oh wow, I'd definitely notice if that was happening!  :lol: 

No nothing like that.  Really looks lovely and very smooth.

Make sure you use the very latest version of DX10 Fixer.  I had an older version on my hard drive but just downloaded the latest version from Flight Sim Store today, to make sure it was up to date.

Shots look stunning.

I would love my 777 and NGX to have them shadows. I use two screens one above the other the last time I tied DX10 it was a mess sadly.

2.4 runs well so I will have to wait for PMDG to port over.

You can get a refund from LM but long term I think we will all go over to it at some point.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Oh wow, I'd definitely notice if that was happening!  :lol: 

No nothing like that.  Really looks lovely and very smooth.

Make sure you use the very latest version of DX10 Fixer.  I had an older version on my hard drive but just downloaded the latest version from Flight Sim Store today, to make sure it was up to date.

Yes i am going to try it again...on your head be it!  :lol:

Downloaded 2.4 last night, moved my config and REX textures over to DX10.  Quick question what does 'D3D overrider' do?

Ian R Tyldesley