Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Widescreen monitor recommendations

I currently have a standard 19" monitor that only has a VGA (analog) connection, and I am thinking about upgrading to a widescreen with a digital connection. I do not want anything more than a 1920x1080 screen, but I want it to be good quality. What size widescreen monitor would have a screen height roughly the same as my existing 19" LCD? This would result in a roughly similar pixel size to my existing monitor (and I don't want this to be too large for obvious reasons). Am I right in thinking that I would need to be looking at a 25" widescreen? I don't want to pay stupid amounts of money, but I also don't want a cheap piece of crap!

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Am I right in thinking that I would need to be looking at a 25" widescreen?

Your 4:3 19" should be about 11.4" high.

To reproduce that at 16:9 would require a diagonal of about 23".

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

OK, now that we have sorted that out......do you have any recommendations for a quality 23" widescreen monitor @ 1920x1080?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

OK, now that we have sorted that out......do you have any recommendations for a quality 23" widescreen monitor @ 1920x1080?

I've only ever used Dell myself but only their 24" 1920x 1200s.

All have been good.

Why do you want 1900X1080?

1920X1200 format looks a lot better to me with flight sims.

Dell do do a 23" 1900X1080:

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dell-s2340l?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

currently have a 4 year old asus 26 inch 1920x1200 got it for the right price it has been rock solid and you can pick up a decent one around a 24 inch size for a reasonable price lovley picture aswell will do me until 4k comes down in next 2 years so i would just look around really asus and my old dell monitor was good aswell just look at pc advisor and tomshardware or look on youtube

I didn't even know that 1920x1200 was available! However, that sounds like a decent ratio of screen width to screen height, so I will certainly check those out.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Just to continue this thread a bit.  My 8-yr old Samsung 19 inch 4:3 display is long on the tooth, and I've been looking at several ASUS 24" 1920 X 1200 displays as replacements. 

• Is the IPS display the way to go with the widescreens?  I use this computer for productivity uses (Word, spreadsheets, email) etc., so it is very important that text display clearly, in addition to presenting FSX fabulously.  Will IPS do the trick?
  • Is the additional vertical real estate in the 1920 X 1200 display worth the trouble and modest additional expense of seeking such a monitor?
  • Are the ASUS IPS displays a good choice?  They appear to have highly rated reviews, and they sport many connectivity options.  Do they play nice with NVidia GTX 770 cards?

Thanks!