Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Amelia Earhart Plane Fragment Found

That link seems to be invalid. Here is a link from yesterday's Aviation eBrief from AOPA:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/oct/29/amelia-earhart-plane/

This is simply further speculation about a piece of aluminum that was discovered several years ago.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The outfit that has this fragment has been announcing the imminent discovery of the wreckage for a number of years now - typically when they need more money.  Given the amount of WWII junk falling from the skies in that area the odds are that they've discovered a piece of aluminum and that's about all.

DJ 

I could safely bet my assets that this piece has nothing to do with Earhart's Electra.

By the way, what's new here? This particular sheet of aluminium was found in 1991. 

Did they take them 13 years to match this sheet with the aircraft?

No, you go to their website and you found no such proof.

Simply another media stunt to attract attention and perhaps raise funds for the next expedition.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

I must say that the evidence very strongly supports the hypothesis that this scrap of aluminum is indeed the scab patch from Amelia's aircraft.

It's very curious just why after going through the expense to install this window, it was then removed and covered with a scab patch afterwards!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I thought those islands were given a through search by the NAVY right after they lost contact,Doesn't make sense

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Yes, all of them were searched by US Navy, later Amelia's husband launched his own independent search.

What makes even less sense to me how they could find themselves in the vicinity of that island.

it was a 2-hour flight from Howland island and we know they were in the immediate vicinity of Howland

simply because of radio signal strength, and they were almost out of fuel during last transmission.

How could they stray that far from their search area makes no sense at all for someone who

was out of fuel and at the same convinced that any moment they can in fact spot Howland island.

There is a lot of mystery surrounding their disappearance and I seriously doubt that all of the questions will ever be answered.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I know where her plane is..... In the ocean, where exactly I don't think we'll ever know.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

TIGHAR had a Discovery special some time ago, and it was pretty compelling. I think they are on the right track, and is just a matter of time before the rest of the plane is found. The artifacts found on  Gardner Island make me believe that was the final stop... which is very sad, as that must have been a terrible place and way to die.

She was so close...

It's very curious just why after going through the expense to install this window, it was then removed and covered with a scab patch afterwards!

Really... that's almost more interesting then the location of the plane.. Maybe the window broke, and it was just easier to patch it over then replace the glass/plexiglass?

I know where her plane is..... In the ocean, where exactly I don't think we'll ever know.

Exactly, say somewhere within 100 mile radius of Howland island. Not a big mystery here.

Just speculation but it could be where they had the extra fuel tanks that they had on board for the trip.Along with other modifications I think they were made to a stock Electra, which would have had that window..

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Just speculation but it could be where they had the extra fuel tanks that they had on board for the trip.Along with other modifications I think they were made to a stock Electra, which would have had that window..

Sorry, but the stock Electra never had that window... it was a mod they did, then covered with the scab patch. It's just interesting/curious thing that didn't have an impact on the flight. The last take off was filmed, and clearly showed that they busted the belly antennas on take off... which was the fatal mechanical failure that sealed their fate. Radio tech in flight was still very much on the cutting edge then, and it was really nice of the Navy to dispatch a ship out to Howard at great expense (for this private flight), as a beacon station.

For us born way after the event, it is a curious mystery for the final location of the plane. What happened is not in dispute.. they couldn't locate the beacon, and flew too long trying to contact the ship.. along with head winds, and a sea too wide. By that time, flying was beginning to be old hat, and this a stunning disaster for people of the 30's.. akin to the Challenger explosion in the 80's.

You're right, I just saw Jim's link above. It says the change was made when they got to Miami. Maybe they detected a problem with the seals on the window, so instead of replacing it, which they probably couldn't do, since it was a custom window for the plane, at least without a delay, they decided to cover it up with a sheet of medal instead, and continue the flight. Interesting about the antennae, I never heard that before. That would explain a lot.

Edit: I found a video of the last takeoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaMp5SibXRk

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d