Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

Looking for a new weather engine, wait for REX4 Weather Direct or?

Currently using REX Essentials and REX4 Texture Direct for the texture side of things.  REX Ess. is just for the weather engine.  Trying to figure out if I should wait for the REX4 weather engine to drop and reviews on it or should I check out ASN or Opus?  I don't have the PMDG 777.......yet.........so at least for now I don't care about WX radar integration with ASN, and I've always heard good things about Opus's weather rendering.  Just really not sure which way to go.  I mostly want good weather rendering.  All the other stuff (cameras, WX radars, etc.) is just extra goodies I may or may not use.  Thoughts?

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

You can download a free trial for both ASN and Opus from their respective websites.

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

I'm a very happy user of ASN on both FSX and P3Dv2.4. I will consider REX's engine when it's released but nobody knows how long that is from being released.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

ASN  seems to get the vote when ever there are comparisons made however you should be aware of "extras" supplied with OPUS weather package

Dynamic head movement

Automatic head movement

A camera system similar to Ezdock

Butt kicker plug in specifically for Flight sim.

I tried them both and found ASN to have a slight advantage over OPUS as a pure weather engine specificaly ASN does not have cloud popping , however found the extras supplied with OPUS unbeatable and it was an easy choice in the end and I find the sim a bland experience without DHM

ZORAN

Dynamic head movement

Automatic head movement

A camera system similar to Ezdock

Is it possible to just use these features of OPUS and ASN for the weather?

Will there be a conflict?

Is it possible to just use these features of OPUS and ASN for the weather?

Will there be a conflict?

No conflict at all between them and its a popular set up

ZORAN

A

S

N

Job done!

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

ASN for the weather no doubt.  However, I've indeed been tempted to get Opus for the extras.

Randall

Currently using REX Essentials and REX4 Texture Direct for the texture side of things.  REX Ess. is just for the weather engine.  Trying to figure out if I should wait for the REX4 weather engine to drop and reviews on it or should I check out ASN or Opus?  I don't have the PMDG 777.......yet.........so at least for now I don't care about WX radar integration with ASN, and I've always heard good things about Opus's weather rendering.  Just really not sure which way to go.  I mostly want good weather rendering.  All the other stuff (cameras, WX radars, etc.) is just extra goodies I may or may not use.  Thoughts?

My friend, trust me...

ASN is awesome. Can't see why you would require anything else.