Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

Looking for a new weather engine, wait for REX4 Weather Direct or?

I was/am getting fed up with waiting on the update for REX Essentials which should initially fix the map not displaying issue. This has been outstanding for ages. Their forum leads to false hopes akin to: 'Bear with us'. 'It will be amazing, just wait'..

Then there's getting fed up of waiting on REX Weather Direct. 

I downloaded the ASN for a trial and had a headache trying to set it up on my network PC setup for FSX. It that had worked first, second, third or maybe forth, they would have got my money, but it didn't. 

So rather cut my nose off to spite my face, I'm stuck waiting on the Essentials update.

Why not try Opus while your waiting?

ZORAN

If this information was posted elsewhere, my apologies. I understand that REX Weather Direct will select and cause to be injected, textures based on location and conditions. That might be something worth waiting for.

If you have REX Texture Direct, in the themes section you can download the METAR for the area that you will be flying in. Texture Direct then sends appropriate textures to the sim for the weather engine to use.

So, in a basic form, you can already do this with any weather engine currently on sale. 

If you have REX Texture Direct, in the themes section you can download the METAR for the area that you will be flying in. Texture Direct then sends appropriate textures to the sim for the weather engine to use.

So, in a basic form, you can already do this with any weather engine currently on sale. 

Thanks Glenn,

I'll give that a try.

Graham

Active Sky Next all the way :wink: Was never satisfied with rex wx engine, they promised to much, to many bugs that they just couldn't fix & the wx depiction was terrible compared to ASN!

ASN is bug free & I never had any problems with it, depicts wx correctly & is one of the best addons for FSX IMO!

@andrewr - Please email as soon as possible at:  r_stough@realenvironmentxtreme.com

I will take care of your needs.

Thank you. I've just emailed.  :wub:

I had this dream where the good folks at HiFi, Opus and REX got together and created ActiveSky Opus Direct. Each time ActiveSky updated weather for a location, REX would automatically update with the appropriate textures.

The dream got better when the Opus cameras read the weather and created the correct amount of head movement, to apply to turbulence induced aircraft movement created by the weather engine and/or (un)intentional pilot maneuvers.

The aircraft addon makers were brought into the picture in order to allow their instruments to get whacked out when the REX lightning textures were placed close to the plane by the weather engine. This was captured in all its glory by the Opus 'UPFDL (Used to be a Primary Flight Display until i saw the Light..ning)' custom VC camera view.

The flight was magnificently concluded by an immediate return to sunny skies, 40% humidity, 23 degrees Celsius; captured flawlessly by the above mentioned program components. The virtual pilot was in a state of complete and utter ecstasy.

In reality, it was miserable out. The aircraft which landed downwind, with a 20 knot crosswind, while being mercilessly p-----d on by rain; looked for something soft to run over while taxiing off the runway.

All in all, an amazing collaboration.

Then I woke up  :angry:

Moderator: This was a bad attempt at a bit of humour. I was attempting to highlight what to me, are the outstanding strengths of each product. If I've stomped all over anyone's Trademarks or sensibilities; please delete this post with my apologies.

I love OpusFSX because of the buttkicker 2 support, you can't beat this for immersion  :Applause:

ASN  seems to get the vote when ever there are comparisons made however you should be aware of "extras" supplied with OPUS weather package

Dynamic head movement

Automatic head movement

A camera system similar to Ezdock

Butt kicker plug in specifically for Flight sim.

I tried them both and found ASN to have a slight advantage over OPUS as a pure weather engine specificaly ASN does not have cloud popping , however found the extras supplied with OPUS unbeatable and it was an easy choice in the end and I find the sim a bland experience without DHM

Good post, if you try Buttkicker support you will never look back, it is implemented extremely well. We all want that immersion and OpusFSX combined with Buttkicker takes FSX/Prepar3D to another level. 

Active Sky Next all the way :wink: Was never satisfied with rex wx engine, they promised to much, to many bugs that they just couldn't fix & the wx depiction was terrible compared to ASN!

ASN is bug free & I never had any problems with it, depicts wx correctly & is one of the best addons for FSX IMO!

I've bought ASNext this morning.

It was the REX Weather Radar remaining broken for months (since September) and the 'this weekend', no 'this weekend', no 'this weekend' talk of the update that, as a customer, annoyed me a great deal. 

With the discount at the moment on ASN, it was hard to resist.  

I've bought ASNext this morning.

It was the REX Weather Radar remaining broken for months (since September) and the 'this weekend', no 'this weekend', no 'this weekend' talk of the update that, as a customer, annoyed me a great deal. 

With the discount at the moment on ASN, it was hard to resist.  

You will never look back :lol:

At this point in time, ASN is the best weather engine.  As others have said, combined with REX Textures, there is nothing better out there.

Stan

Really debating jumping on ASN with that sale.  I did try out the 7 day trial and really liked it.  I'm just tempted to wait for the REX4 engine since it's supposed to be able to inject new REX4 Texture Direct textures on the fly if I understand correctly.  Although if the weather engine side of it doesn't hold up well then I guess it won't matter.  I'd definitely rather have the best weather engine.  REX3 isn't bad (and who knows what the SP3 changes are bringing) but without FSUIPC to smooth out wind changes I'd definitely have jumped on ASN for sure since I believe it's supposed to be better about not having abrupt wind transitions.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Where can I purchase/download ASN other than through the HiTec website?   Way too clunky an interface for me.  All was going well until I got to the "Visa Verified" page, I probably haven't used that for 5 years and just don't remember my friggin' password.

FSS doesn't  carry ASN,  apparently.