Hi,

I'm upgrading my setup from an MSI P55-GD65 mobo with an i7-870 CPU (OC at 4,0 Ghz) to an Asus Sabertooth X79 mobo with socket 2011. Which CPU would you advise (4820k or 4930k) ??

Would this make lots of difference ?

I get around 30FPS, but when i use multi monitor and Rex Overdrive, i have seriuous FPS drop ...

Cheers,

Marc.

Why not the latest arquitecture? I5 4690K or I7 4790K

If it must be 4930k vs 4820k , the difference is 6 vs 4 cores. No difference in FPS, just better texture loading in some situations

Hi Dario,

If i change to latest architecture i might better choose a 5820K, not ?

Marc.

We're talking FSX right?

If you need or want 6 cores, that would be the way to go.

Problem with the X99 platform is it's still fairly new, mobos are pricey, and uses DDR4 memory that is still expensive and not particularly fast

A system with a 4 core I5 4690K will perform the same as one with a  I7 5820K while easily $400 cheaper.

Depending on your flying style, you might benefit from better texture loading with the 5820K's 2 extra cores, but you need to up the LOD for that 

If you fly heavy duty addons like PMDG's NGX / T7, increasing the LOD is pretty much guaranteed to trigger an OOM

We're talking P3d and FSX on a multiscreen setup. I use scenery from Aerosoft, Megascenery Earth, GEX,  PROSIM737, REX4 + overdrive, IVAP online flying software on a 4pc setup. 

What the hell means LOD and OOM ?

We're talking P3d and FSX on a multiscreen setup. I use scenery from Aerosoft, Megascenery Earth, GEX,  PROSIM737, REX4 + overdrive, IVAP online flying software on a 4pc setup. 

What the hell means LOD and OOM ?

Well, I have no experience on P3D so I don't know if extra cores help more there than in FSX.

LOD = Level Of Detail.

OOM = Out Of Memory (Error)

Ok, got it , thx ! I have an Asus Sabertooth X79 mobo, so it would be a waste to buy a new one ... 

I'd look into a z97 mobo and a I5 4690k You could be up and running for under $400

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.