Sign in to follow this  
holl

PMDG 737 NGX and Active Sky Next Windshear warning

Hello all simmers!

First of all i want to congratulate PMDG and HiFi for the outstanding work with the Active Sky next and PMDG 737ngx, two amazing products which brings the sim experience to a whole new level of realism. 

although i have a question considering Active Sky Next windshear warning and the PMDG 737ngx windshear warning. As we all know they dont sound the same, and in this video 

you can clearly hear the PMDG 737ngx windshear warning go off. I've read many topics about this on different forums and they all came out with the same conclusion, its not possible for the NGX to trigger the windshear warning due to FSX limitations. The only question in my head remains, how did this person in the video get the original NGX warning when encountering a microburst in Active Sky Next. I tried to uncheck the "Play windshear aural alert" option in the Active Sky Next program to see if the warning would sound in the NGX without results, anyone got a clue? :unsure:

Cheers!

Nicko 

It is probably dubbed over the video seeing how there are no visual ques.  It is possible because the 777x generates windshear alerts.  The ngx just doesn't have that function...yet                                                                                         

Locate the "C:\...Flight Simulator X\HiFi\ASNext_FSX\as_srv\Voice" folder on your PC.  In there you will find a file called "pwsalert.wav".  If you play that file you will hear that it is the ASN windshear alert sound.  All you need to do is rename that file (in other words, keep that file as a backup) and then replace it with the one from the PMDG NGX. The one from the PMDG NGX is in the "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\Sound\PMDG\737NGX\CAWS" folder and is called "PMDG_737_egpws_sirwsh.wav". Copy the PMDG one to a temporary location such as the desktop, rename it to "pwsalert.wav" and then move it from your temporay location and put in to the "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\HiFi\ASNext_FSX\as_srv\Voice" folder.

I haven't tested this, but I think that should do it.

Regards,

Freddy

Hi Freddy

Yeah! That also came across my mind, will test it and report back for results :)

Happy flying!

Hi,

one thing we have to clear is that ASN alert is "PWS": That means predictive wind shear alert  (in contrast to "reactive windshear alert). The latter comes up once the aircraft detects severe wind related acceleration, so it comes up only after the encounter (as happened in the video above). I am not 100% certain but I think the NGX has a reactive windshear system already working (unrelated to ASN) and that's what triggered the alert in the video.

In contrast if the alert was coming from ASN, then in the above video it would have started significantly  earlier (3 miles before the encounter) giving a chance to the PF to attempt a go around before encounter.

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Kostas,

Thanks for your (valued) input. "Predictive" versus "Reactive" windshear alerts.  I was not aware of that.  Always learning, always learning. Interesting.  Based on what you've said here, it does sound like my suggestion above may not work. But, then again, might. Hmmm.

Regards,

Freddy

As i have read on other forums under this topic PMDG confirms the NGX is not eqipped with a working PWS system. The T7 have i though

Did I miss an update where ASN has integrated weather radar for the pmdg 737 ngx? I thought only the t7 and ifly support this?

No, you did not miss an update.  If you are referring to the Navigation Display (ND) and the different colored shading that's showing in the YouTube video in the original post, then it is showing TERRAIN, not weather.

Regards,

Freddy