Sign in to follow this  
Beanf18

PMDG secret project

It would be a nice surprise to see it they had indeed finished the Dash 8. Other than that, I think everyone will agree that a 767-200/300 (Including Freighter Models) would be huge success.

y572_3.jpgC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Marlon Carter - AVSIM Reviewer

Haha. Didn't we talk about this before Kyle - pre CS release? I looked on their website and watched some YouTube videos of their L-1011, but I still refuse to buy any of their products.

Probably. It sounds familiar. There are a lot of aircraft I wish could be done to a high quality standard, actually, but I'd like to see the 1011 get that treatment. It probably wouldn't sell well in the sim market, though, unless people are huge fans of Delta, Eastern, or some of the Air Forces who use(d) it.

Kyle Rodgers

Lockheed Constellation compatible with Lockheed Martin's P3D v2! (then I woke up).

Ryan

Ryan

It probably wouldn't sell well in the sim market, though, unless people are huge fans of Delta, Eastern, or some of the Air Forces who use(d) it.

Unfortunately, I think you're right. I would love to fly DVA's historic routes with a quality 1011, but I guess the MD-11 routes will suffice (I know it won't happen, but still wishing for some 4096 VC textures for that bird). I haven't been to ACY since I moved to Philly 3 years ago and started teaching out of PNE, but they used to have an old Delta 1011 on the FAA Tech Center ramp that I believe they use to train air marshals. They also had an old 747SP. On Google Earth the 1011 is still there but the SP isn't. 

resuming my point of view, after compiling historical PMDG comments in this forum and paying attention to PMDG historical market way of thiking (except for punctual releases that, for specific reasons, was not foccused on high sales, like DC-6)...

Too early to be developed, but to be expected in the future = 787-8, 787-9, 737-MAX

Not to be expected, due to prognosis of poor sales = 707, 717, 727, 737 (classics and jurassics), 747 (classics), 747-8, 767-400, DC-10 (and older DCs), MD11v2, L-1011, F-100

Not to be expected, due to market focus = any Airbus, any Business Jet

TO BE EXPECTED (in the order I think it would make business sense)  = 

1) 757-200, 767-300 (757-300 and 767-200 would be target to a possible later expansion that I think will not really come)

2) Embraer regional jets, ATR-72

3) Bombardier regional jets ("globally" I think Embraer regional jets would open a wide market to PMDG, but maybe PMDG thinks different)

Regards,

Marcelo Monteiro

I haven't been to ACY since I moved to Philly 3 years ago and started teaching out of PNE, but they used to have an old Delta 1011 on the FAA Tech Center ramp that I believe they use to train air marshals. They also had an old 747SP. On Google Earth the 1011 is still there but the SP isn't. 

The 1011 is still sitting out there. I definitely recall it being there when I was last up at the Hughes Tech Center (doing some evaluation of ADS-B for use with ERAM to increase capacity in the Gulf of Mexico, which is currently mostly non-radar).

Kyle Rodgers

3) Bombardier regional jets ("globally" I think Embraer regional jets would open a wide market to PMDG, but maybe PMDG thinks different)

PMDG already stated that regionals will never be part of their product line. 

The 1011 is still sitting out there. I definitely recall it being there when I was last up at the Hughes Tech Center (doing some evaluation of ADS-B for use with ERAM to increase capacity in the Gulf of Mexico, which is currently mostly non-radar).

Didn't they initially implement ADS-B in Alaska, or is that where initial testing was done? I was just looking at ADS-B adapters last night to use with Foreflight on my iPad. They range from $500 - $900. 

For the coming years I will be very happy with the upcoming 747 V 2.0 and I would welcome a propliner like the aforementioned DC-6. Since PMDG is Boeing minded the Dreamliner will probably be one of its future developments. The PMDG 777-200-300 series is a wonderful simulation and has set a high standard for airplanes yet to come.. 

Didn't they initially implement ADS-B in Alaska, or is that where initial testing was done? I was just looking at ADS-B adapters last night to use with Foreflight on my iPad. They range from $500 - $900. 

You'd imagine that they would, but it really hasn't been implemented on the ATC-side much of anywhere. A couple TRACONs pioneered it (SDF was one of the first because UPS had equipped so much of its fleet already), and now many ARTCCs have the ability to use it (any ARTCC using ERAM has it enabled by default).

Alaska has always been a use case, though, because radar coverage is so difficult in the mountains. It's still pretty limited up there:

http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/coverageMap/

As far as receivers go, the Stratus is actually really good. The tracking in the newest version is really awesome. It basically offers CloudAhoy-like services without bothering with CloudAhoy. I never really looked too far into debrief/cost, though, because I do my own parsing on my own system by pulling the data right off the unit (started working on this when CloudAhoy starting charging for debriefs :rolleyes: ).

Kyle Rodgers

Not to be expected, due to market focus = any Airbus, any Business Jet

Why would you expect  an ATR or Embraer but not an Airbus?

I'm sure Boeing really couldn't care less even if PMDG some time modeled an aircraft of their primary competitor, it's not like the choices of FS pilots have any effect on real world aviation sales.

(757-300 and 767-200 would be target to a possible later expansion that I think will not really come)

With that logic PMDG would have never released 737-600 and 777-200LR, both are quite rare birds in real world skies. 

Regards,

Joona L

Alaska has always been a use case, though, because radar coverage is so difficult in the mountains. It's still pretty limited up there:
http://www.faa.gov/n...sb/coverageMap/

I thought the poor radar coverage was why they were doing Alaska first. 

As far as receivers go, the Stratus is actually really good. The tracking in the newest version is really awesome. It basically offers CloudAhoy-like services without bothering with CloudAhoy. I never really looked too far into debrief/cost, though, because I do my own parsing on my own system by pulling the data right off the unit (started working on this when CloudAhoy starting charging for debriefs  ).

I started to dabble with CloudAhoy a few months ago but never got around to actually using it. I've been eyeing the Stratus 2 - the $900 unit. Is that what you have? I'm not even sure if it' worth buying one at this point. I only plan on teaching for maybe another year while I finish grad school and get my ATP license, then I'm off to the airlines....again.  

I thought the poor radar coverage was why they were doing Alaska first. 

That's one of the main reasons they wanted to do it, but if you think about it, ADS-B is all about equipage. Most of the traffic up there is from smaller operators using some pretty old equipment. I'm sure the cargo and international outfits in ANC would appreciate it, but it's not like it's a huge hub for that like MEM and SDF.

So, it was a use case that the FAA pushed, but said use case was assuming people would equip their aircraft with ADS-capable hardware.

I started to dabble with CloudAhoy a few months ago but never got around to actually using it. I've been eyeing the Stratus 2 - the $900 unit. Is that what you have? I'm not even sure if it' worth buying one at this point. I only plan on teaching for maybe another year while I finish grad school and get my ATP license, then I'm off to the airlines....again.  

If it were me, I'd get it anyway to track my airline flights when I got there, too. Why not? Could be interesting. Then again, I also have GPS+Baro/HR/Cadence tracking on my bike so I can debrief rides, too...just because: http://www.strava.com/activities/148296279

Kyle Rodgers

So, it was a use case that the FAA pushed, but said use case was assuming people would equip their aircraft with ADS-capable hardware.

Yeah I guess the bush pilots don't care so much for the technology. Duct tape and oversized tires is all they need. 

If it were me, I'd get it anyway to track my airline flights when I got there, too. Why not? Could be interesting. Then again, I also have GPS+Baro/HR/Cadence tracking on my bike so I can debrief rides, too...just because: http://www.strava.co...ities/148296279

I used a program like that when I snowboard called Ski Tracks. I love it. It tracks trails, speed, distance, elevation, etc... The best part is you turn it on, drop the phone in your pocket, and go. It shows all of your runs on a map of the mountain and is easy on the battery too. 

I used a program like that when I snowboard called Ski Tracks. I love it. It tracks trails, speed, distance, elevation, etc... The best part is you turn it on, drop the phone in your pocket, and go. It shows all of your runs on a map of the mountain and is easy on the battery too. 

Yeah. I thought of putting an app on my phone, but I have an iPhone and you can't throw Airplane Mode on without sacrificing the GPS (I could with my old Android). Since I'll be out of the country (and in the middle of nowhere), my phone would murder itself by trying to search for a carrier all day without Airplane Mode on...so, I'll be using the same unit I put on my bike, and the service I linked to earlier can import it. Luckily, since it's a dedicated GPS unit, it'll be a little more accurate (with a better battery life, too).

Kyle Rodgers