Sign in to follow this  
Elsmoko

Windmilling for cooldown

What is the correct method for windmilling the engines to

accelerate cooldown time for an engine restart attempt?

What gauge(s) can / should be monitored during windmilling?

Thank you,

Ken

Ken Boardman

It's called "dry motoring".  You can open bleed air from the APU or run the starter for that engine (watch allowable number of starter operations within a set timeframe and length of each attempt) and watch EGT, FTIT, or TOT as applicable until the temp is within acceptable parameters.  Every aircraft and engine type will have a slightly different procedure, but this described here is generally accurate. 

Best,

Kev

Thanks Kev. Have you successfully performed this action with the PMDG JS41 add-on? If yes, what are the correct steps

to take for success?

Ken

Ken Boardman

No, sorry, I have not.  I've done it on real aircraft, but nothing in FSX or P3D.

The "ventilation run" consists of motoring the engine for up to 30 seconds, without introducing fuel or ignition, in order to draw cool air through the engine. Before engaging the starter you need to move the "MANUAL START" rotary selector to the 3 o'clock "ENERGISE" position. It is covered in more detail in the PMDG supplied AOM.

Before engine start, visually confirm both propellers are unfeathered (i.e. on the start locks) and engine EGT is below 200°c. Turn on Standby Fuel Pumps, confirm condition levers are set to taxi and thrust levers to idle. Put the rotary selector back to the normal 12 o'clock position and then you can start engines.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

>>Put the rotary selector back to the normal 12 o'clock position and then you can start engines.<<

Thank you for the tips Chris. The Rotary selector switch that you refer to above, is that the

rotary switch that's located in the "Manual Start" area (not the rotary Master Start switch)?

I'll give this a try.

Best regards,

Ken

Ken Boardman

Yeah, it's labelled as "MANUAL START". You still need move the "START MASTER" to the appropriate engine though, wherever it's ventilation run or actual engine start. Also I would recommend you only do ventilation runs when you have ground power or an engine running, as the starter motors are very juice hungry and will quickly deplete the batteries.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Many thanks Chris.  My 1250W PSU failed for 2nd time in 2mos ~:(    so I'm on my

laptop again.  Hopefully, the Enermax folks will cross ship me a better unit this time.

The original PSU lasted over 4 years,  so there is hope.  I'm looking very much forward

to tinkering with the JS41 as soon as my PC is back up.

Ken

Ken Boardman