Sign in to follow this  
uhntissbaby111

Overcast effects

I have yet to make the jump to Prepar3d, however after seeing more pics/videos and with pmdg's announcement, I feel like the time has come to make my way over. I see that p3d has cockpit shadows and cloud shadows, and even cloud shadows acting on the aircraft which I must say look very nice. I have a question about overcast conditions. In RW when it is overcast there really are no shadows and obviously things below the layer are a bit more dull. Does p3d model this? Below the deck the cockpit and environment will be a bit darker and then once you break through the layer the sun illuminates the cockpit and it becomes brighter?

Yes, shadows and cockpit lighting are dynamic in P3D v2.

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

Dynamically WRONG,

IME, "OC" and "in the soup", produce cockpit shadows that don't belong in those conditions...

That being said, I rather have bad shadows than none at all.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I agree with Chas. The shadows "in the soup" are a little strong. There could be some light shadowing depending on light but it needs some refinement. That said, I ALSO agree with Chas that what is there is SO much better than  none at all that it's really a non issue except for discussion.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Sorry for bringing up an old topic but I've been wondering about this myself.

For instance, today I noticed that even though there is a full overcast, the sun still reflects in the cockpit (see picture underneath). Is there any way we can tweak such lightning to only appear when breaking through the cloud layer?

CmQIvYI.png

Like OP states, in RW there are basically no shadows nor reflections during overcast conditions.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Have you activated cloud shadows in your display settings?

No, I find that kills performance. Will it actually block sun reflections during overcast though?

• Upvote 1

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Yes, if you turn the cloud shadows on, it should block sun reflections during overcast (or at least considerably reduce it). Give it a try and let me know how your performance is.

Yes, if you turn the cloud shadows on, it should block sun reflections during overcast (or at least considerably reduce it). Give it a try and let me know how your performance is.

Hi, sorry for late reply.

I tried turning on cloud shadows, starting with 10 000 meters, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Even during full overcast, sunreflections were still present in cockpit.

Performance-wise it is not good turning cloud shadows on, including terrain shadows. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth