Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Fiber Accelerator for P3D is out

Just got an e-mail to try Fiber Accelerator for P3D - have to check this out

Rich Sennett

Just got an e-mail to try Fiber Accelerator for P3D - have to check this out

Would be nice to get the link too, thanks.

Spirit

Would be nice to get the link too, thanks.

Spirit

Has to be launched from e-mail body and not seeing it online - sorry - at first glance not seeing a benefit - have to look into it more 5:00 am here so that will be a bit - my system likes to run unlimited and this program does not allow that

The website

http://www.thefsps.com/prepar3d/56-fsps-p3d-fiber-accelerator.html?mc_cid=98ef25c9b1&mc_eid=3714e72bba

Rich Sennett

Goodmorning all, 

be advised .. we are watching the topic. We would be more than happy to read feedback and opinions as always. 

Regards, Babis D. (BD)
Flight Simulator Platform Solutions
Senior Developer
visit us: Homepage / Our unofficial blog
2vhslld.jpg

I installed NL2000 EHAM, turned up settings in ASN and P3D until I got to a steady frame rate of about 10-12FPS. I closed P3D and ASN and installed Fiber, started up according to the instruction and the first things that happened was that the engine of my A2A P-51D exploded! It was fully repaired when I started and the aircraft jumped so heavy that it was sideways on the runway and a big cloud of black smoke was coming out from under the hood. I shut it down and opened the hangar and most items of the engine where in the red! Off to a really nice start. :P

Oh yeah, it was about the FPS. Well, my frame rate did go up to an amazing 13-14FPS, although with a regular short drop to 2-3FPS and my RAM usage shot up with almost 2GB.

When trying to take off, my aircraft was trimmed to 6 degree right rudder, but even with giving it full right rudder, it kept turning left in circles and didnt respond to any rudder input at all.

So I switched to my trusted Carenado C337 and started with about the same frame rate and this time the engine didnt explode, but the improvement in frame rate wasnt any better. I ended up with a heavily stuttering sim with a sad 8-14FPS.

I'm curious to hear about how this works for other users, I cant imagine a program like this is being promoted so massively that random people get asked by email to test it and with the instructions to give it the heaviest test-circumstances you can throw at it, when it's actually this bad. Although I had everything working just fine, with a 30-40FPS and completely smooth, I'm wondering if something is going wrong in my system and I'm looking forward to hear about how other got it working.

Cheers!

Maarten

Could be interesting but I will wait for the first user reviews before even trying the demo.

@demious 

You are describing an at least 20% frame per sec. rate increase in your worst case scenario. (and ofcourse we don't create explosions :P )
You think this is bad ? There is nothing wrong in your system... 

@J van E

Sorry but I have to object here. You can trust others opinions better than your own eyes? Demo is free :) 

Regards, Babis D. (BD)
Senior Developer
2vhslld.jpg

Well, seeing that the instruction ask to load the heaviest airport, high settings etc. I created the worst scenario I've seen in my sim, of around 10-12FPS, with the expectation that it would at least improve to a level where my sim was smooth enough to fly reasonably, but the 2FPS increase isnt going to do this. And I know the A2a is actually for FSX, that's why I switched to the Skymaster, but there I see that the top end is going up by 2FPS, but the bottom end is going down by 2FPS, so that more or less cancels each other out in overall performance. So in the end the improvement isnt there.

I'm gonna try to set things up with a starting frame rate that's already flyable, around 20FPS and see what it does. I would love some extra performance, hoping to be able to turn on a couple of extra cloud layers. It's absolutely not that I want to talk bad about your program, but more of a first impression, hoping to get some advise from others on how to get it working better. I'm not done yet! ;)

Cheers!

Maarten

Sure no probl, we asked opinions after all, this is not a advertisement forum !

According to a rough computing I made of your settings, If I were you I would set 40fps target in simulator, 20 fps in Fiber's lower target and 30 in Fiber's middle target. Check also on average demand situations, you may be able to identify more :) Check using the button for switching between modes. (Lower - middle - deactivated)

Regards, Babis D. (BD)
Senior Developer
2vhslld.jpg

Demius,

My guess is that you start at it the wrong way....

You changed your settings in avance but I don't think that is what the developers intended.

Restore all your setting as before where you got 30-40 fps. Then find an airport or region that is heavy on the fps (where it is next to impossible to maintain those 30 fps).

Test the program at that airport but with those normal settings. I did so in FSX and I did get results.

To be hoest, all systems are different and it is as they say... your mileage may vary

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

I'll give it a shoot when I have the time:-)
I am finding that with DSR it is possible to get the same quality image with SD textures as with HD textures without DRS and in fact better. So hopefully this will work and bring another tool to the table. Will it conflict with DukeSan27's Traffic optimizer? It better not because that's about the best performance enhancement app I have ever seen and it's a freeware enthusiast offering too.

Performance vs quality is a balancing act as always but it is much easier in P3D V2.4 than in FSX. There are far more option in the display setting than FSX had. I usually find the sweet spot of at least 30 FPS flying around a heavy area and then save the display setting by calling the file for example "KJFK-Q400-Dusk-heavy Weather" so then When I am approaching or just flying locally in that area, I just select the appropriate saved displayed setting for that area. If I don't have a saved display file for an area I just make one and then the next time I'm there I just have to select the saved file.

Hopefully Fiber will get me extra FPS but like Richard, I currently run unlimited FPS

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to give it a try. :)

Cheers!

Maarten

Hi,

trying the demo today left me a little disappointed and confused what Fiber Accelerator really is supposed to do.

I was really looking forward to the release because what I expected was, that - for example regarding the autogen - if the target frame rate can't be reached that Fiber Accelerator would reduce the autogen level until the target is reached, or vice versa when the target is reached that Fiber Accelerator increases the autogen level until the frame rate drops below the target. And the same with road traffic etc.

But now I was on the runway of KLAX with autogen (and other sliders) set to max in P3D with 11-12 fps (with reasonable settings in P3D I reach 20-25 fps there). Set the lower frame target to 15 (also tried a medium target of 20) in FA but nothing noticable happened. FPS remained roughly the same, the CPU Terrain needle in FA stayed at zero, but I was still seeing max autogen around me.

And vice versa: Sitting in a remote airfield with autogen set low in P3D, the upper frame rate was easily reached, CPU Terrain needle at 100 %, but still just low autogen around me.

Am I doing anything wrong or did I have wrong expectations what Fiber Accelerator would do?

I'd appreciate if the developer would clear this up. What relevance do the ingame graphics settings have when using Fiber Accelerator?

Thanks

Ralf

Ralf,

What this program is trying to do, is keeping framerates up by reducing sceneryloading in the background.

It does not change your settings so a low autogen setting will not increase or vice versa.

What is does is increasing or decreasing the distance for which that setting can be maintained without losing framerate.

Let's say you have a setting of 100 autogen.

In a region with hardly any buildings, and no traffic, your sim can depict that 100 autogen visible for 100 miles with a framerate of 30.

When your reach a region with denser traffic or buildings, your sim will have more problems depicting all that autogen for that distance.

Fiber will try to maintain your setting of 100 and a framerate of 30 by reducing the distance it depicts the autogen.

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium