Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Fiber Accelerator for P3D is out

Babis,

I do understand the difference between the static tweaking of the prepar3d.cfg and your concept of changing values dynamically. And the concept of dynamically changing the .cfg values really is interesting. It would be a revolution if you could on the fly change autogen, complexity and traffic settings etc. But that obviously is not the case with FA at this time.

So at least on my system I don't notice any difference between the static FFTF tweak and using FA. Of course I did no scientific tests and do not claim that there are no differences at all but I did not notice any on my system in the tests I did.

If you could give a hint, what changes might be visible when using FA. Maybe it would be helpful it you would reveal what FA really is doing and what values it can change.

Please don't get me wrong. I do not want to malign your product or your efforts and I really loved to see it work, but on my system I just did not recognize any effect of FA.

Ralf

Just a quick note to those who believe that have invented the wheel by just adding a line in Prepar3d.cfg...

Whatever you do in Prepar3D cfg is STATIC. It starts and dies as long as your run the simulator. You get the same config for AAAAAALLLL flight. Either in ground at 0ft or at 35000ft.

WHAT FIBER ACCELERATOR DOES is that this Prepar3D.cfg is NOT STATIC anymore. When you need frames, it will lower values to catch them, and when you need picture quality (since you already "catch" the target) it will increase values. This is done hundreds time per second.

That's what NO tweak can beat, and will never will. WHY ? Because tweaks are STATIC.

You can create great configs in prepar3D.cfg : one for a busy airport (but it won't be great for high altitudes), another for 35000ft away from everything (but it won't be great for the "busy airport") , another "all around" average cfg...

But you cannot have all in one. That's what Fiber is doing, and some of you better digest it...  ^_^

Oh, I have digested it..lol.   FA works well for me, in FSX, but I have not seen the same benefits for P3D.  Das, all.  Great program, but P3D must be a very unique beast....

If you could give a hint, what changes might be visible when using FA. Maybe it would be helpful it you would reveal what FA really is doing and what values it can change.

This would be nice to know but I doubt they will disclose this sort of information? 

It is certainly able to adjust the FPS slider on the fly, I can see this changing in my sim while running the demo.  It would be nice to know  what it's doing "under the hood" while the sim is running.  With P3d still an evolving product longevity may come into question too?

RE Thomason Jr.

.... Of course I did no scientific tests and do not claim that there are no differences at all but I did not notice any on my system in the tests I did...

That's why the demo is there, for the potential buyer to decide if the app is OP for him or not. You are not one of them obviously.

... don't get me wrong. I do not want to malign your product ..

Seriously it looks like that. No posts all these years and suddenly popping like that? Seriously? 

But nobody with competitive IQ cares about that. That's why the demo is there... Everyone is able to decide , unbiased. :)

By the way ... first day and our servers almost failed due to its success. Testers-to-buyers ratio was never higher. That's what we love to see and to be proud of :)

...With P3d still an evolving product longevity may come into question too?

FSPS guarantees product updates covering Prepar3D's updates for the near future. Forever? Who can say for sure?

PLUS - like in FSX - we are near to implement a permanent OOM solution. This is our next task , as already announced. We are almost there.

Regards, Babis D. (BD)
Flight Simulator Platform Solutions
Senior Developer
visit us: Homepage / Our unofficial blog
2vhslld.jpg

PLUS - like in FSX - we are near to implement a permanent OOM solution. This is our next task , as already announced. We are almost there.

I need that.

often getting OOM just 500 feet above touchdown

frustrating

No posts all these years and suddenly popping like that? Seriously? But nobody with competetive IQ cares about that.

I use simphysicsx and frictionality and I am a satisfied customer insofar. I stated my personal findings on my system in a sober manner. I can't really see any reason why you should start insulting me personally. There were other users who confirmed my findings. You're insulting them too. So if this is the way you treat your customers, this is your own business. I'm not into arguing with you in a personally insulting manner.

Ralf

BD, you do come off rather strong I didn't see Ralf having an Axe to grind at all.  Glad your passionate about your program but you might want to back it down a bit?  As stated previously I am glad you've given us the opportunity to test prior to purchase, I'm doing that.

FSPS guarantees product updates covering Prepar3D's updates for the near future. Forever? Who can say for sure?

You took it the wrong way I wasn't questioning your dedication to support the program.  I meant that I have faith that in the future LM will optimize the core program to the point of  FA not being much value added. 

RE Thomason Jr.

Being interested in this product I was following this thread before trying the demo, but...

Bavis, in your post #5 you encouraged people to give you your feedback, and seeing your harsh comment to Ralf, who was politely giving his insight on your product...

Seriously it looks like that. No posts all these years and suddenly popping like that? Seriously? 
But nobody with competitive IQ cares about that. That's why the demo is there

...I have decided to pass on this one.  I suggest you try very hard to improve your behavior with prospective customers.

Jean-Jacques aka Jayjay

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI

By the way ... first day and our servers almost failed due to its success. Testers-to-buyers ratio was never higher.

If any of those people happen to drop by this topic, I'm very curious to hear what kind of system they've got and what addons and settings they're using.

I've got a pretty cliché system and also my addons are quite standard. If I had a system that was significantly different from most others, the reason why it works on other systems and not on mine, would be clear. But now it leaves me thinking it must be in settings and I havent found it yet with what is mentioned so far.

I would sure like to hear more from people who see improvement with FA.

Cheers!

Maarten

http://www.simforums.com/forums/fsps-fiber_topic49653_post307001.html#307001

Interesting comments by Nick Needham. He was talking about the FSX version but the comments apply.

Personally, I wouldn't use it BUT try the demo - if it works FOR YOU and YOU ARE HAPPY - who am I or anyone else to say you shouldn't use it.

My other comment is probably more important in the grand scheme of things - This thread is not the ONLY thread where I have read comments by the developer that do not create a feeling of a class product or individual. Being supportive of your product is a good thing but, IMHO, if someone says it's a POS - let it go - it is THEIR opinion and they are entitled to it.

Not a cool way to generate either sales OR user confidence.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

If your product is reading and writing to P3D memory space to do what it is doing, because I don't see a call through simconnect for it, then with that skill set you could probably implement some kind of RAMdrive for P3D to work from.  Or in other words create another 32bit memory space for P3D to work with, your software swapping objects as needed.  It looks like you're coding at that level .. ?

The only thing 64bit really does is make it so one doesn't have to do what I've described above, which not many know how to do, which it why it seems so magical.

If your product is reading and writing to P3D memory space to do what it is doing, because I don't see a call through simconnect for it,

Correct

then with that skill set you could probably implement some kind of RAMdrive for P3D to work from.  Or in other words create another 32bit memory space for P3D to work with, your software swapping objects as needed.  It looks like you're coding at that level .. ?

The main goal is to manage the garbage collector in order to get rid of the OOM errors. Some thinks has already been implemented :rolleyes: and we are testing and investigating a lot of others  :blink:

Regards,

Achilles  

Achilles

Flight Simulator Plaform Solutions

@vgbaron:

Interesting views (those in the thread you linked actually, I totally agree with what you quoted) but I expected more from one of the most experienced users of FSX around. He obviously does not understands the concept, and likes to stick to the opinion "I prefer my average fsx.cfg for all situations". Well not everyone is good on following the "future". I for example was also stuck on fs9 for too long. Nothing like my machines couldn't do it with fsx..., mostly emotionally I stuck, I would say. He just does the same, imho..

@denali: 

Wish it would be that "easy". (Caution the quotes . What you are describing is not easy at all) Unfortunately it is not. LM would have done it ages ago with the resources they have.... As my partner Achilles said just above, implementation is still ongoing regarding OOM.

@Jayjay (et al):

Allow me to have a different opinion. Having dealt with more than 50.000 FSPS customers directly via support or other means, and being "on-line" since internet was actually invented, finding out what is black, what is white and what is grey was never easier, believe me. However ignoring black was never our 'forte' , I shall start do that since I am also a guest here. Keep in mind however that <<Feedback>> and <<you can simply archive the same using this and that. Who need this product? >> are two totally different things.  :)

@blaze: 

Sure , that's what I was meaning too. Probably the language barrier did it again: We can't be on LM's shoes regarding the graphics engine. Reading their forums and the limited information released , however, the 'radical graphics engine change' - in our eyes - is not something that will come in 'near future'.

Regards, Babis D. (BD)
Flight Simulator Platform Solutions
Senior Developer
visit us: Homepage / Our unofficial blog
2vhslld.jpg

denali, on 02 Nov 2014 - 1:26 PM, said:

then with that skill set you could probably implement some kind of RAMdrive for P3D to work from.  Or in other words create another 32bit memory space for P3D to work with, your software swapping objects as needed.  It looks like you're coding at that level .. ?

The main goal is to manage the garbage collector in order to get rid of the OOM errors. Some thinks has already been implemented and we are testing and investigating a lot of others 

Garbage collection/memory management is the issue.   Amazing skill level if you are able to pull it off with P3D, I'm thinking they are about as tight as they can get it already, but I have no metrics.  Do you understand what I am suggesting with sharing another 32bit space -- or 64bit space -- , even as sort of a RAMdrive, or even better as a cache?   I have been using a program called PrimoCache and it's "RAM Cache" is very nice, even though it's technically a RAM drive.  It cuts reloads down to 10 seconds or less, which is amazing if you're doing any kind of testing.   If you can do these things directly through the bus using the chipset you could pull of a miracle, eliminate stutter. 

Windows doesn't do fibers well.  I imagine your background, normal playground, is not in Windows, but you like flight simulator?  I am certain that all this mciro-stuttering, even in other games/windows platforms, is from ...lack of fiber.  It worries me for the future of P3D, when demanding display platforms like Oculus RIft become mainstream, if it'll be untangled.  I do have some hope now that that Balmer isn't running MS like a mafia organisation.

I have installed the demo earlier today and my first impressions are very high. On my system( i7 4770k, 8gb ram and a slightly underpowered 7870) with the frame rate slider at unlimited has always given me the best overall performance with the odd frame spike here and there.

What I have noticed with this program is that it changes the performance from my minimum 25fps upto unlimited even though I set it up for 45( as per instructions). This to me have made my system perform very well, I don't see the frame drop spikes that I was seeing. I have 5 more demo hours left but up to now I'm very impressed.