Sign in to follow this  
Mithras

UK Airfields - Orbx England? Or UK2000?

I'm currently torn between Gary's UK2000 airfields with their nice attention to detail and plenty of parking for AI traffic and the native Orbx airfields, which blend seamlessly with Orbx England and include nice features like 3D looking grass and quality static planes. The Orbx fields don't quite seem as accurate, or seem to have much AI parking provision though, and my home strip, Beverley EGNY, has none at all, while Gary's EGNY has 4 slots. An airfield like Oxford is another good comparison, with Orbx having half as many parking spots as UK2000.

In Orbx's favour is the colour match. UK2000 is washed out and designed to match the VFR Photoscenery I used to run. It doesn't match too well with Orbx England.

I'm in a dilemma... (!)

Hi Paul, UK2000 sceneries are superb. Gary does a fantastic job and I'm sure many others will agree. However, if you have Orbx England installed then I would highly recommend using one of Orbx's airports, where applicable, a) because they will work seamlessly with the surrounding scenery and when the cards are down, I think Orbx airports are the finest and superior to anything else out there. However, all Orbx airports are designed to work with their regions sceneries and if you try to use them without having a region installed, then some things will be missing and there may be the issues.

You say Orbx airports don't look quite as accurate...hmm, I wonder which ones you're referring to. They are incredibly accurate. I think you may be confusing default Orbx airports with their single addon sceneries. Orbx don't do an EGNY nor do they do an Oxford, except the ones that obviously come with the England scenery.

I run about half a dozen of Gary's airports with Orbx England and also about the same amount of Orbx addon airports. All work extremely well, but as you rightly pointed out, the UK2000 airports do not match the Orbx scenery quite as well as perhaps they could.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I use UK2000 sceneries with ORBX, except for Southampton and Cardiff which are ORBX sceneries. They work great. Just be sure and remove the pertaining files from the ORBX scenery folders for each UK2000 airport you add. For instance if you ad EGNM, then find the files with that ICAO code in the ORBX scenery folders and stash them somwhere outside of those folders. This will avoid potential conflicts.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

You say Orbx airports don't look quite as accurate...hmm, I wonder which ones you're referring to. They are incredibly accurate. I think you may be confusing default Orbx airports with their single addon sceneries. Orbx don't do an EGNY nor do they do an Oxford, except the ones that obviously come with the England scenery.

Sorry, I was not clear - I am referring to the VFR airports and farm strips etc. not the Xtreme Airports, which blend well and are accurate. Neither am I referring to the Orbx add on airports, which are very good indeed. I am referring to the default Orbx airfields that come with Orbx England. My comparison is between the default Orbx fields amd the UK2000 VFR airfields.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I've decided to with the default Orbx airfields (plus all of the payware add ons) for a month and see how I feel after that!

I agree with you Mithras, I have also upgraded and was undecided for a while between Uk2000 airfields and Orbx stock airfields.

I would like to ask the community if it is possible to add additional parking slots orbx sceneries using ADE9, for example?

I have experimented without success as yet.

Update: I settled on the UK2000 airfields in the end, and upgraded to the v2 version of the southern area 2 airfields which have been given almost an Orbx treatment.

I use Just Flights VFR scenery with Revolution X which creates autogen buildings and trees so that everywhere doesn't appear too flat.

I then installed the UK 2000 airfields ( comes in 3 volumes } which gives me over 200 airfields some with hay bales, flying birds and tractors etc, This I find to be excellent for flying around England and Wales, the airfields blend in very well, so well that they can be difficult to spot. I have a mission to land and take off from everyone of them using the A2A Cessna C182, I have created a spreadsheet which gives the detail of the runway and am ticking each off as I visit them