Sign in to follow this  
hiway

Removing unwanted aircraft

If you are exclusively using 3rd party AI and flight plans that do not require calling the default traffic file then yes, by all means, remove the default aircraft. I say remove, not delete.

In my instance I simply created a new folder in the FS9 hierarchy called "Hanger" and moved all unnecessary aircraft across to it. But then I'm using heavy and GA AI models and traffic files that make no call on default aircraft and I haven't experienced a problem ... yet.

As for gauges ... check to see if any aircraft you wish to fly needs any default gauges from aircraft you have moved to your "Hanger" folder and, if so, simply copy the requisite gauge cab file into your FS9 Gauge folder.

Just my two penneth's worth.

Does anyone have a sense of humor in here anymore?  Sheesh!  If I have to explain them ....... well ......

It's OK gwillmot ... there're just not used to you.   :rolleyes:

"Same thing only different". You can't use that ......... it's mine ...... been using it on my wife for years!

Has it ever worked yet? Never has for me, maybe I'm just not saying it smooth enough. My wife just gives me the 'disbelieving wife' look. I've even tried the six of one, half dozen of the other approach to no avail.

Remove stock aircraft; simply move to a back up folder as some has already suggested, . . . . except (a) never delete or move the stock gauges unless the gauges are in the stock aircrafts panel folder. ( B) In that case move the gauge(s) or CAB file(s) to the FS9 root gauge folder before moving the aircraft to back up. You may run into problems if a aircraft you install has a panel that is aliased to a stock aircraft in which case you might need to take the back up back into the aircraft folder.

AI aircraft not required by a flight plan that is installed; delete or move to a back up.

Third party flyable aircraft; Pay ware option 1 is to move the aircraft to a back up folder, option 2 would be turn run the uninstaller if one is provided.

Third party flyable aircraft; Free ware, move the aircraft to a back up folder or delete or if a uninstaller use that.

Note that deleting some aircraft that have panels and gauges provided will not remove the gauges from the gauge folder, however that is not a problem or cause for concern.

If you are running some sort of AI traffic file that uses stock aircraft then moving them out of the aircraft folder is not a good idea.

Using AirEd to classify flyable aircraft as AI has its merits and also the downside in that it leaves your aircraft folder with aircraft which over time you may loose track of and wasted space.

"It's OK gwillmot ... there're just not used to you" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A diplomat in the making.

Regards

Oh, BTW a FS plane can fly without a panel.

And seeing that this ENTIRE thread is about removing planes from FS04 your panel edits will not accomplish this.

Noobody said that panel off "removes" the aircraft! The only way to "remove" an aircraft is to physically "remove" it!

A lot of noise and faff about a very simple procedure of adding _off to the panel folders of aircraft that are not needed  :smile:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

A lot of noise and faff about a very simple procedure of adding _off to the panel folders of aircraft that are not needed  :smile:

Source of noise and faff : Your answer to a question that no one has asked ...........................

gwillmot

Deputy Sherriff

Local FS2004 Faff Police

As Jim says, the OP wants to remove the plane from (at least) the Select Aircraft menu, not remove a panel.

:wacko:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Thank you all for the great response. The consensuses seems to be; Leave them alone.

I'll have to be more choosey about which AC I install.

Thanks,

Paul

No need to be choosey. If you dont like an addon aircraft just delete/uninstall it. It is only the default ones that you are advised to leave alone.

Peter Schluter

Yep, only the defaults are really necessary... They're the only ones I've deactivated using AirEd. If there's any other planes I don't want, I simply delete them.

The easiest and safest way is to simply just rename the aircraft.cfg file to aircraft.off

This way everything stays intact and the aircraft is gone from the menu.