Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

Continuous CTD during approach phase

Hey all, I hope this is in the right section. I tried to do a thorough search before I made a post and came up dry. 

I just got Prepar3d about 5 days ago and have been enjoying it a lot however, I have been experiencing a very annoying issue. I have been having continuous crash to desktop fatal error and it only happens during the approach phase about 6,000 feet and below. Now I haven't tested this in other areas other than what I am going to mention, but I am hoping with some small details someone may know the possible cause.

I will also mention during this phase of flight and during the last few times it has happened, there has been broken to overcast cloud coverage using ASN and REX4 textures. Before the crash I get a "windows chime" in the background every 10-15 seconds (what you normally here when some error pops up, but no error is displaying until after the crash) for a few minutes until it happens.

Aircraft: High Quality 737

Area this has happened during approach: KLAX/KSAN/KONT

Windows 7 64bit

If someone can point me to the log of the error I can post that if it will help out. This is very frustrating!

Edit: here it is:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 2.4.11570.0, time stamp: 0x542314d3
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x72e14f11
Faulting process id: 0x1024
Faulting application start time: 0x01cff5e7e33c7926
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: c4ff8c70-61e2-11e4-b40f-448a5b9d887d

Before the crash I get a "windows chime" in the background every 10-15 seconds (what you normally here when some error pops up, but no error is displaying until after the crash) for a few minutes until it happens.

That "Chime" your hearing is FSUIPC warning you that your about to run out of virtual memory which of course will lead to an OOM error and subsequent closure of the P3D App.  perhaps your not getting that OOM message and just crashing straight to the desktop? 

I'd reduce the load on your sim and see if it cures your issue, 

RE Thomason Jr.

That "Chime" your hearing is FSUIPC warning you that your about to run out of virtual memory which of course will lead to an OOM error and subsequent closure of the P3D App.  perhaps your not getting that OOM message and just crashing straight to the desktop? 

I'd reduce the load on your sim and see if it cures your issue,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am running equal settings in prepar3d as I am in FSX with the exception of cloud shadows and DSR.

I also am not using 2xSGSS like I am in FSX and my ASN settings are the same.

What kind of load would you suggest cutting back on? I have a hunch this is happening due to the overcast weather, or larger amount of auto gen in prepar3d? Would something like this cause an OOM?

To answer that, no I am not getting an OOM message just a fatal error has occurred and program will close message.

I have a hunch this is happening due to the overcast weather, or larger amount of auto gen in prepar3d?

You would be correct but there are ALOT of other things that differ from FSX that are not glaringly obvious at first.  Your best bet is to treat it as an entirely different platform with some familiar features.

Not sure if you tweaked your .CFG File but if you haven't don't most of the old school FSX hacks will cause more problems than they'll fix in P3d.

What kind of load would you suggest cutting back on?
  It's your sim, you'll have to judge what's important to you. 

I for one think the UHD texture resolutions are not necessary, 2048 looks good to me, save 4096 for screenshot contests but that's just me some people love the HD look.

To answer that, no I am not getting an OOM message just a fatal error has occurred and program will close message.
  It shouldn't take long to test and see if you we're simply overtaxing your system or if there is something else going on.

RE Thomason Jr.

You would be correct but there are ALOT of other things that differ from FSX that are not glaringly obvious at first.  Your best bet is to treat it as an entirely different platform with some familiar features.

Not sure if you tweaked your .CFG File but if you haven't don't most of the old school FSX hacks will cause more problems than they'll fix in P3d.

It's your sim, you'll have to judge what's important to you. 

I for one think the UHD texture resolutions are not necessary, 2048 looks good to me, save 4096 for screenshot contests but that's just me some people love the HD look.

It shouldn't take long to test and see if you we're simply overtaxing your system or if there is something else going on.

I have been running 2048 but I will try some other stuff. This started happening when I installed and started using VAFS. I thought it was what's causing it but I still get the error when it's not being used so I should be able to single that out right? I'll try lowering other settings.

I just don't see that it's an OOM error, just a CTD fatal error because I get no OOM message. These are completely different from what I've read.

After some tests tonight haven't solved anything besides more CTD's with no heads up.

Here's the logs, doesn't make sense it's a bunch of windows files.:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 2.4.11570.0, time stamp: 0x542314d3
Faulting module name: MSVCR100.dll, version: 10.0.40219.325, time stamp: 0x4df2be1e
Exception code: 0xc0000417
Fault offset: 0x0008af3e
Faulting process id: 0x6d8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cff6453e02ae6b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Prepar3D.exe

Faulting module name: d3d11.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16570, time stamp: 0x5153774d
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0008ee4e
Faulting process id: 0x1380
Faulting application start time: 0x01cff57a40e9ee17
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\d3d11.dll
Report Id: 6b93763e-616e-11e4-b095-448a5b9d887d

Faulting module name: window.dll, version: 2.4.11570.0, time stamp: 0x542315df
Fault offset: 0x000253f0
Faulting process id: 0x11d0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cff57a120d3ca4
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\window.dll
Report Id: 7b2be0a2-616d-11e4-b095-448a5b9d887d

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18409, time stamp: 0x53159a86
Exception code: 0xe06d7363
Fault offset: 0x0000c42d
Faulting process id: 0xce0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cff5591be5f4e3
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 7b193164-614e-11e4-8053-448a5b9d887d

Faulting module name: g2d.dll, version: 2.4.11570.0, time stamp: 0x542315f5
Fault offset: 0x00088f97
Faulting process id: 0x5a4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cff487e1eee874
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\g2d.dll
Report Id: b86ed7d8-607b-11e4-ac2c-448a5b9d887d

I have been running 2048 but I will try some other stuff. This started happening when I installed and started using VAFS. I thought it was what's causing it but I still get the error when it's not being used so I should be able to single that out right?

No I wouldn't if it was running fine at first and then you made a change and this began to occur it's the first place I would look!

I use VA Financials on a client machine via FS Wide for the Virtual Airline I fly for.  While it's a nice program I find it extremely temperamental selecting filter options can cause the program to lock, slow to use and frequent crashes.  In more than one instance it has crashed,  (is no longer running verified by opening my windows task manager to confirm) yet it will not restart when trying to click on it's .exe because it thinks it's still running.

Not saying this is your issue but if I were you I would uninstall completely and clean my registry entries using a program like Cc Cleaner or if you have a restore point saved prior to that install I'd roll back and try again

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Hope you get it sorted there's no reason P3d should crash like that.

RE Thomason Jr.

Still no luck. Thinking about doing a fresh install of windows and everything because now that registry cleaner removed a file windows needed. Get an error on startup saying a windows .dll file can't be found...great.

Still no luck. Thinking about doing a fresh install of windows and everything because now that registry cleaner removed a file windows needed. Get an error on startup saying a windows .dll file can't be found...great.

Man, I am sorry for that I've used Ccleaner for years and it's never removed anything windows needed.  It should have also asked you if you wanted to back up your current registry files before it cleaned anything I'm assuming you didn't do that. 

Try a windows repair option before a full reinstall.

I feel bad, I was trying to help you and you probably want to roundhouse kick me in the nads :bad:

Sorry for your troubles

RE Thomason Jr.

No problem at all, I actually tried a free one and may have messed up with that, but it did find a lot of issues so a fresh install may help clean all that junk out.