Sign in to follow this  
Manny

P3D V2 water could do some improvment

I still prefer water in FSX over P3D V2.

At an altitude the P3D V2 water is dead..static.during overcast condition.  Even at its maximum setting, using all kinds of REX textures...Its like flying over a piece of cloth laid out. DEAD DEAD DEAD!

Any way around this?

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Yes! And a quite simple solution actually as you've pointed out yourself already. Use FSX  :lol: But seriously, I do not experience the 'dead' sensation you describe. Personally I like the water in Prepar3d. And do third party water textures actually work?

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Even at its maximum setting, using all kinds of REX textures...Its like flying over a piece of cloth laid out. DEAD DEAD DEAD!

Exactly my findings. Cloud shadows on the ocean are useless and pretty much non-existent, the cloud mirroring effects are way overdone! A very unrealistic display of the ocean. I'm thinking HDR in V2.4 is broken, it's that bad. I'll need to test with it off.

Another thing, where's the haze? We have fog instead?

Manny,

I have mentioned many times (on this forum and elsewhere) that the water in P3D is poor......but help is on the way, assuming that you use REX. Those guys are currently conducting final tests on a texture and wave animation update that should (hopefully) make a significant improvement to the water in P3D for REX4 and REX Essential Plus users. I am really looking forward to seeing what the REX guys have done, because flying over large expanses of water is almost unbearable at the moment in P3D :unsure:

By the way, this update will apparently also fix the problem of the "half textured, half smooth as glass" look of the water when using REX.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Default water was quit ok i think but after i installed Rex4 it now looks awful. Hopefully it will be corrected. Back to FSX with FSPS and for reasons like winter temperatures makes it fantastic once more season.

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

The default water textures are just as static as the REX ones, although it's possible that they may not suffer from that "half textured, half smooth as glass" issue that I currently have to endure <_<

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I must admit : the water in Prepar3dv2.4 is ugly. Hardly any reflexion of the sun, unnatural color, flying low (1500ft) the waves a couple of miles ahead disappear and the sea is flat. I cannot imaging the guys at Lockheed Martin are content with this representation of water.

Philip

Putting my cynical hat on......it probably saves a small amount on framerate, and that also goes for the lack of navigation and strobe lights on AI planes. These are issues that I suspect most former FSX/FS9 users would like to see addressed, but you have to remember that P3D is for training and simulation. Heaven forbid that we should be entertained in the process :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Manny,

I have mentioned many times (on this forum and elsewhere) that the water in P3D is poor......but help is on the way, assuming that you use REX. Those guys are currently conducting final tests on a texture and wave animation update that should (hopefully) make a significant improvement to the water in P3D for REX4 and REX Essential Plus users. I am really looking forward to seeing what the REX guys have done, because flying over large expanses of water is almost unbearable at the moment in P3D :unsure:

By the way, this update will apparently also fix the problem of the "half textured, half smooth as glass" look of the water when using REX.

Thanks. I wonder if they also tried to improve DX10?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Manny,

Boy that's some good news.  I somehow had fair water in P3D 2.2, but when I changed to 2.3 I lost it.  Pug fugly, lame.   Let's hope REX can fix this.  I know their interface for REX Texture Direct is nasty in that you can't tell what blithering textures you're looking at after they're installed, unless you use a theme.  REX Essentials will at least show you what you last installed.   The texture installing routine is fabulous for sure though.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X