Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Pilot Intervention

I thought the last SP1c was supposed to cure that flash that comes up 'Pilot Response', or is it an option in the FMC PMDG Setup?

Its an option in the FMC.

PMDG SETUP - AIRCRAFT - EQUIPMENT - page 13 - Crew Alertness System

The pilot response alarm is a real feature of real boeing 777's (Airline option, not every 777 in the world has it).

The real pilots that fly these real 777's with real pilot response alarms are able to avoid the alarm by:
Pressing any button or moving any knob, this includes the heading select knob which should be kept tracking the aircraft heading as a matter of SOP.

The likelyhood of not using that heading knob for over 20 minutes is the same likelyhood of the aircraft not having to turn at all, and the wind being exactly still for minutes at a time over hundreds of kilometers.

so SP1c service pack DID fix the pilot response alarm, by not changing it at all. The ability to disable the system entirely was there in the release version, as it is now... and the ability to use the system (move any knob or button in the cockpit to stop the warning) was there in the release version, as it is now.

the heading select knob which should be kept tracking the aircraft heading as a matter of SOP.
My SOP is to use it only on takeoff. Why change it when I am awake and not change it when I am sleeping. It's inconsistent.

SOP as in... Real life operations, not sim operations ;-)

In general, there's always going to be someone awake on the flight deck, so the heading bug does get adjusted at most airlines. (Of course, the exception defines the rule, as always.)

But in acceleration mode it is disabled now, if active. 

Andreas Berg
pmdg_j41_banner.jpgpmdg_trijet.jpg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

Changing the heading is only done at some airlines and only to cure boredom.

I have a feeling you'd be hard pressed to find an airline who doesn't.

And the boredom part? How about quickness at responding to an ATC vector? Instead of having to figure out if you have to twist the knob left or right, if it's always on the nose, it's a pretty easy thing to figure out. I wouldn't dismiss something without fully understanding it...

Kyle Rodgers

I have always understood that keeping the heading knob selected to your current aircraft heading was for a VERY good reason - so that if you (in)advertently switch off your LNAV the aircraft does not immediately turn away from your intended course.

Such an event could distract you from your original task and become a safety hazard.

Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

I have always understood that keeping the heading knob selected to your current aircraft heading was for a VERY good reason - so that if you (in)advertently switch off your LNAV the aircraft does not immediately turn away from your intended course.

Such an event could distract you from your original task and become a safety hazard.

Another great point. Thanks Richard.

Kyle Rodgers

In full, the quote is Vixi et didici atque amavi. (I have lived and I have learned and moreover, I have loved.)

Very apt!

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx