Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Service Control Manager Freezing FSX?

Anyone else experience a total lock-up of FSX mid-flight approximately 4 hours into a flight caused by Service Control Manager  Error IDs 7031 to 7001? Or if they have, what is causing it and how to stop it?

At least that is what Event Vwr is throwing up.

Yeah, I had this issue too today. In the Event viewer its not an error just an information about service control manager is started and shut down. The two events followed by each other in 2 minutes and FSX freezed when it shut down. Not a CTD because if you wait patiently, after 4-5 minutes FSX continues to run from where it stopped. So just a pause not a CTD fortunately, but even though it is still a problem. Sadly I don't know the solution. I searched for it in Computer->Manage->Services to disable but it is not there. I'll try to disable it and see what happens. I only experienced this freezing when I crossed the border of the UK airspace inbound and outbound to EGLL. Two times at the same place, so it is not a coincidence. I suppose it's in connection with ORBX (I use Base 1.30, Vector 1.20, OpenLCEurope 1.10), or with NickN's FSX bible where he suggests modifying some services. But it's a guess only.

Anyway if you or anybody else figured out something for this to solve, please share it!

Regards,

Adam

caused by Service Control Manager Error IDs 7031 to 7001

Anyway if you or anybody else figured out something for this to solve, please share it!

Microsoft released a new version of an update that was originally released a day or two ago, and then removed shortly thereafter due to reports of some systems freezing during the update. The fixed version of the update is now available via Windows Update.  I'm wondering if you were caught up in a freeze during the update to your system.  If you have Windows update to automatically install updates this could happen.  There were several security updates to Windows this week - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Search/DownloadsDrillInResults.aspx?q=update&cateorder=1_5_2_3_4_8&ftapplicableproducts=Windows&sortby=-availabledate and perhaps one of those is causing a problem.  The only solution would be to uninstall any update done this week and see if that fixes the problem(s). Of course you can reinstall them if it did not fix your problem(s).

Otherwise, you need to check your installation of services and make sure one or more is not somehow misconfigured. I use the guidance at the following link for Windows 7 Services - http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/ . He also has one for Windows 8.1 installations - http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-8-1-service-configurations/ and, of course, recommendations for Windows 10.

I disabled some services as suggested by NickN and recall having a lot of problems, not right away, but maybe a month or two later. I went to the link above and returned the settings back to the default and have had no problems since. I would be careful disabling or turning off services as they may not have dependencies today but they might sometime later as you install things. In any case, you have a guide above to help you return your services back to what they should be.

It could be malware or a virus doing this too. Malware can be installed as a service - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-malware-hides-as-a-service/ .

Lastly, in the Event Viewer, as you are looking at an Event, it usually has a link to the Internet for suggestions on how to fix the error received in the Event Viewer. If not, you can Google/Bing the error w/the event ID and you will usually see others having a similar problem.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for that Jim.

I'd long forgotten that I had posted this way back in November before I headed off to Australia. As I've not had any more freeze-ups,----and now, looking back on it, I have a feeling that I was undergoing an OOM, but at the time was not aware of the difference between what the Processes in Task Manager showed and what a VAS Monitor showed---since that post, hence I did not recall this post. Nevertheless, your in-depth reply is very much appreciated as always because it sheds so much light.