Sign in to follow this  
Domini99

15 degrees nosedive descent to prevent going around, would you call me an idiot or fuel efficient?

So i sim in my Cessna Cargomaster a lot.

Sometimes it happens that im too high on approach, i won't make it with "normal" procedures.
So i slowed down, deployed full flaps and idled my engine and put the plane into a stable 15 to 20 degrees nosedive, at 80 to 90 knots, descending at more than 3000 feet per second, sometimes i can keep a 4000fpm nosedive without gaining speed :smile:
This way i made the landing perfectly fine and didn't need to go around  :crazy:

I've even done this in real life with a 182, i asked my instructor and he said "do what you wanna do".
He told me i was an idiot but i did save fuel.

What do you think? I usually fly the Fedex Feeder livery and pretend to be a Fedex pilot, i'm flying alone and the cargo wouldn't care anyways.
Would you call me an idiot for putting the plane into a nosedive to prevent going around?

Or would you call me "fuel efficient"?

I'm surprised you called it stable. I flew heavies and now large cabin bizz jets. Never have I dropped the nose that way to get low or to save fuel. I do recall slipping in Cessna if too high. If it looks like i won't make it, I request a 360. As your instructor said, do what you wanna do. It's interesting that it was done to save fuel. When I was in the Air Force, I all ways told guys to handle the jet as if you were carrying paying customers. We all were looking forward to commercial jobs. Fuel efficient to me is not carrying too much fuel, flying optimum altitudes and speeds and configuring at proper times.

I've even done this in real life with a 182, i asked my instructor and he said "do what you wanna do".

He told me i was an idiot but i did save fuel.

What do you think? I usually fly the Fedex Feeder livery and pretend to be a Fedex pilot, i'm flying alone and the cargo wouldn't care anyways.

Would you call me an idiot for putting the plane into a nosedive to prevent going around?

Or would you call me "fuel efficient"?

Your instructor is right on both accounts.  Do what you want, but doing that in real life...yeah you are an idiot.  If you were really flying a FedEX aircraft and did that, you and your co-pilot would most likely have been fired immediately.  In the sim, whatever.  We all cut corners in the sim, but sideslipping would have gotten you the same result with out performing a rapid descent so close to the ground.

I'm surprised you called it stable. I flew heavies and now large cabin bizz jets. Never have I dropped the nose that way to get low or to save fuel. I do recall slipping in Cessna if too high. If it looks like i won't make it, I request a 360. As your instructor said, do what you wanna do. It's interesting that it was done to save fuel. When I was in the Air Force, I all ways told guys to handle the jet as if you were carrying paying customers. We all were looking forward to commercial jobs. Fuel efficient to me is not carrying too much fuel, flying optimum altitudes and speeds and configuring at proper times.

Hehehe it's not something i'd do daily but it worked out :P

I've never done anything professional flying. I'm not a pilot.

About the saving fuel... well, considering how expenisve fuel has become :/

Your instructor is right on both accounts.  Do what you want, but doing that in real life...yeah you are an idiot.  If you were really flying a FedEX aircraft and did that, you and your co-pilot would most likely have been fired immediately.  In the sim, whatever.  We all cut corners in the sim, but sideslipping would have gotten you the same result with out performing a rapid descent so close to the ground.

Hehehehe... im not really what you'd call.... a "safe" pilot :blush:

Maybe i can combine sideslipping and nosediving, i'll be the best (and most destructive) pilot ever :crazy:

Nah but seriously.. in the sim it works, in this one 182 flight i did i asked my instructor and he allowed me to go full retard, so i did.

Everybody, just be happy i'm not going to become pilot in real life anyways, if i do become one.... built a shelter when you hear im flying around your area  :rolleyes:

hehehehehe.. eehh... yeah............

Yep!

+1.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Unfortunately, real life and flight sims are sometimes two very different things.  The ATC in MicroSoft's sims will often instruct you to descend at much greater rates than what you would do in real life.  I'm not a pilot, but I do know that real pilots will sometimes fly a slow descent to maintain speed and economize fuel burn or at least step climb and step descent, things that the default ATC in MS flight sims will not allow.  I do think that even in MS flight sims that a 3000 fpm descent is beyond extreme.  Please do not take this as admonishment, but as constructive criticism.   I would suggest that you plan your descent a little better and shoot for no more than a 1000 fpm descent.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Well, you can descend with great rate with full flaps if you need that, but I wouldn't do that in final approach.

Your instructor was correct to call you an idiot. On the other hand you might get a job with SWA!!

In the sim, in the Lionheart Lear I'll pop the speed brakes and push the nose over and decend at about 12000 fpm from about 42k all the way to pattern altitude. I'd never to anything like that in real life but in the sim who cares lol. An easy thing to help plan descents is in a prop multiply your altitude by 6 to get the number of miles away from an airport you should start your decent and in a jet use 3. So if your at 10,000 in a prop plane it'd be 10x6= 60miles out you should start a 500fpm descent.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

About the saving fuel... well, considering how expenisve fuel has become :/

Last time I checked, lives still costed more than fuel.

It's been a while since I did the math, so I might be wrong. :)

All kidding aside, though: Like some guys said before, do whatever you want in the sim.

Hell, I've "flown" a 747 inverted under the Golden Gate Bridge.

In real life... You're bound to be called an idiot by everyone on the same frequency.

Well,  . . . my question to the original poster is, why are you not planning your descent to approach altitude a bit better? In the real world or the simulator it works the same and it isn't that difficult. As others have said, when you are flying in the simulator do as you wish - nobody has to know. Again as others have said the economics of a proper ascent, cruise and descent are far more efficient that a kamikaze dive at the runway. Unless of course your company real or virtual has a policy of 'save fuel - waste lives' :Big Grin:

In the end though, it is your simulator and there is probably nobody watching over your shoulder grading you so have fun in what you do your way. My grandson comes to visit, flies the simulator and crashes every way he can think of and a few he didn't think up. He has a great time even though I can barely stand to watch!

Regards to all,

Keep the crazy maneuvers in flight sim!  In real life you will probably just end up killing yourself and/or others on the ground.  I take it you owned the 182, because if it were mine you would not be flying it again.   Your instructor should have his certificate pulled if he or she is allowing (and thus teaching you that it is ok) you to do it.  Fly into an area of wind shear or clear air turbulence while your doing that foolishness and your dead.  Replacing an airplane is much more expensive than the fuel required for a go around.

I would find another instructor ASAP!

i'm flying alone and the cargo wouldn't care anyways.

Until you have a cargo shift and the cargo gets damaged, or worse, a center of gravity shift, then you got a problem.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.