Sign in to follow this  
ap1

Is It Possible to do RNP Approaches with RF legs in default GPS?

I fly all default aircraft with the default GPS and am wanting to know if it's possible to do an RF leg in the default GPS without selecting an approach in the GPS.  I mean by just adding the correct waypoints in the FSX planner, but still be able to do the RF leg.  Thanks. P.S If anyone says that I have to buy the PMDG aircraft, I'm not.  If I just had to buy the aircraft without always constantly having to update the AIRAC in the FMC, maybe I would.  But you have to pay more money for having an update in the FMC.  That right there makes me not want to buy it.

Well, these AIRAC-updates for the FMC are nice to have, but useless IMHO. I´ve never done it. As the FSX-world is rather static, there´s no real need for AIRAC-updates (other than for preventing the "NAVDATA out of date"-message from the FMC).

To your question: I guess if you add them in the flightplan, it wil do just fine (at least the lateral navigation).

If I just had to buy the aircraft without always constantly having to update the AIRAC in the FMC, maybe I would. But you have to pay more money for having an update in the FMC. That right there makes me not want to buy it.

You don't have to update the AIRAC data every time it expires if you don't want to. The only reason the FMC gives the warning is to let you know that the data is past the valid date, however you can still use expired AIRAC data in the sim. Since I don't fly online, I only update mine once a year and sometimes longer. If you want you can even open the AIRAC file with note pad and change the cycle dates so the FMC won't give you the warning or you can just skip the warning when it pops up.

I wouldn't let that keep you from buying any PMDG product just because you thought you needed to buy AIRAC cycles every time they expired. You don't ever have to update them if you don't want to, but if you use external flight planers you may want to buy a current cycle for the planner and for PMDG just to keep them in sync if you plan on exporting flight plans to the PMDG's FMC.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

No, it is not possible to do a true RF leg in the default GPS - you can fake it, but you have to hand jam the data into the XML flight plan to make it so.  Incidentally, the PMDG aircraft can't do RF legs either and the AIRAC data is modified to fake it in the same way.

DJ

Thanks guys for the replies.  I'll think about PMDG.  For now, I'll try just adding the waypoints of the approach in the planner even if it has an RF leg.  

The iFly flies RF legs beautifully. ;)

That is true ... iFly is really great.

And it's SP 3.2.1 comes with Navdata AIRAC 1302 which you could update later.

But, before purchasing PMDG, iFly or Navdata .e.g., get all the info verified first to make sure it fits your needs.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW