Sign in to follow this  
NATK50

Acronis True Image for Backup

Thanks guys, that's put my mind at rest over the basic functionality, and I've learned a couple of things. I didn't have "verification" set on, as I accepted the default settings which had verification off, an odd decision considering how important it is to have a working backup if it comes to the crunch. 

Also the tip about backing up the C drive and Sim drive (if different) makes a lot of sense, as it keeps both in synch with any registry entries or whatever.

I have used Acronis in anger a few times with FSX (never with P3D), but always found it stressful, as once the byte by byte process has started, there's no plan B, but so far it's come through fine. 

Maybe I should also do a Windows image as a "belt and braces" approach...

Eugene

Do anybody of you using this tool for backup the sim and take it back, if the Sim is maybe corrupted or do some problems!?

When I was on HD (not SSD) I loved it..and I couldn't recommend this tool more. Their customer support was amazing too. I have taken complete backups of my C drive and restored too many times when I was hit with virus (since I do not use payware antivirus software conflicting with my sim).

But now I have SSD and I went through  hell recovering from my back up. But eventually I did.

I then updated it to the 2014 version so not sure how good its going to be when I try to recover from an SSD. 

Their customer support is only for 30 days...but that is useless since you need help when you are trying to recover and you have issues..They have a good forum where they help you out.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

But now I have SSD and I went through  hell recovering from my back up. But eventually I did.

Oh dear, my P3D is on a SSD,  I'm worrying again.... My boot drive is mechanical, might that be OK?

Eugene

Oh dear, my P3D is on a SSD,  I'm worrying again.... My boot drive is mechanical, might that be OK?

Then you should have no rpoblem.

Your P3D is a simply folder backup..right?

And your C bootable is a complete diskdrive backup with partitions... and since its a regular HD you should be good

IF you have a taken a complete drive back up of your SSD, I suggest you take a simple back up of your P3D folder as well..and then veriy they are all ok

As long as you have a back up using Acronis you should be fine no matter what.. its just that you would need their help (their forum) to recover if you have a C bootable on an SSD..is all. Too many variations of the sectors and answering the questions when its time to recover is like answering a NASA Q&A.. for SSDs..that is.

'

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Sounds good Manny, I've backed up my C drive and  my P3D SSD with Acronis, and also done a straightforward folder backup of my "MyP3D" folder as well, so I should be good if it comes to the crunch...

Thanks

Eugene

Forgive me for jumping in Eugene, but the next time an addon fries your simulator, you will be so happy that you only have to spend an hour restoring your OS and simulator drives; as opposed to several days to reinstall everything. Best of luck!