Sign in to follow this  
nudata

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION

I will upload the 0.10 and the 0.01 video's to youtube

and post the links here.

Dave, your 0.001 result was very very interesting and gave me an idea.

First with unlimited frames, I tried the FSXMark11 and got these results:

FFTF = 0.01

Min  Max  Avg 22 37 33.475

No blurries. 

FFTF = 0.001

Min  Max  Avg 34 49 42.058

Plenty of blurries, in-fact no autogen.

Next I set frame limit to 42 and got this:

FFTF = 0.001

Min  Max  Avg 30 41 37.025

No blurries!!

So if you got this, by setting a limit close to the average FPS at 0.001 ( obtained with no frame limit), here 42, I am able to eliminate the blurries and also gain FPS (33 to 37). This frame limit I believe given enough time to the sim to autogen/texture.

Notice that we also increased the minimum frame from 22 to 30. Maybe this helps with stutters too.

Can you also try this? Preferably with FSXMark and record avg time with Fraps.

I can CONFIRM that FFTF = .01 is a KEEPER!

And bear in mind that I am running MegaSceneryEarth photoreal textures, where you really need something like FFTF = .40 to reduce blurries.

With .01, my textures are sharp as with .40 but with better performance! Definitely a keeper, guys!

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Dave, your 0.001 result was very very interesting and gave me an idea.

First with unlimited frames, I tried the FSXMark11 and got these results:

FFTF = 0.01

Min  Max  Avg 22 37 33.475

No blurries. 

FFTF = 0.001

Min  Max  Avg 34 49 42.058

Plenty of blurries, in-fact no autogen.

Next I set frame limit to 42 and got this:

FFTF = 0.001

Min  Max  Avg 30 41 37.025

No blurries!!

So if you got this, by setting a limit close to the average FPS at 0.001 ( obtained with no frame limit), here 42, I am able to eliminate the blurries and also gain FPS (33 to 37). This frame limit I believe given enough time to the sim to autogen/texture.

Notice that we also increased the minimum frame from 22 to 30. Maybe this helps with stutters too.

Can you also try this? Preferably with FSXMark and record avg time with Fraps.

Duke, I can also attest to this! When I tried .001 earlier today, I was getting HORRIBLE blurries. After reading your post and locking my FPS to 40, the terrain is once again razor sharp! No blurries whatsoever and FPS were outstanding!

I did a quick lap on the AS A318 around Taxi2Gate's KMCO with MSE Florida. With my settings (no HDR, no cloud shadows), I was averaging low 20s while on short final.

After doing the .001 tweak, I was averaging upper 30s! I even went ahead and enabled DSR/cloud shadows and I was still averaging mid 30s on short final.

Thumbs up in my book! The terrain is super sharp but with the added FPS, it just feels so smooth and natural.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

Sounds reasonable to keep the FPS below the maximum achived. This should prevent the textures to "stall".

On the other hand, being at the limit might introduce stutters. As I said before: there has to be a headroom for higher demand intervals...

I will give 0.001 an unlimited and limited try but in my case with external limitation through nvidia inspector 1/3 refresh rate as I prefer unlimited internally...

With the 0.001 setting and limited FPS I get a small amount of blurries. At 0.01 and unlimited, everything looks great. Now I'm trying to decide whether DSR makes things look any better.

Wondering how this "tweak" affects other stuff such as tesselation at various settings. This ain't your daddy's FSX...

So no blurries at 0.01? Interesting. I will also check again.

I tried 0.01 and true, there were insignificant blurries, ... well fed texture threads though resulted in an OOM on final

Extremely low FFTF like 0.001 or 0.01 mean that you share only 1/1000 (or 1/100 respectively) of CPU per frame time for fiber actions. If your CPU is very fast these time fragments will be sufficient. But the slower the CPU is (or gets due to other tasks) the more one will see blurries and/or missing autogen.

I am still running my old PC system and here texture/autogen degradation is a problem.

In the end this test shows that it makes sense to have a very high potential PC, BUT at the same time config tweaking still seems to be necessary (or advantageous) to achieve better results (frame rates) in P3Dv2. Actually I hoped that "tweaking thing" would become a thing of the past and capable GPUs could make our day...

As I said before: the right frame rate number is less a question of quantity than a question of sustainability. And with highly demanding scenarios (scenery+weather) and complex A/Cs a stable framerate beyond 35 is an utopia.

Looks like that FFTF=0.01 or FFTF=0.001+Locked FPS is shaping up to be the best performance tweak discovered so far for P3D!

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

WOW!

Fiber zero with frame lock at 30 nets me something that feels like double the performance. Orbix Nor-Cal over SFO is as smooth as silk! Autogen and texures stay in focus to the horizon, all with no apparent I/o lag. I can fly an f-14 2 feet above the bay through a mosqutos &@($* at the speed of sound -blind folded!  ....incredible tweak!

Looks like that FFTF=0.01 or FFTF=0.001+Locked FPS is shaping up to be the best performance tweak discovered so far for P3D!

WOW!

Fiber zero with frame lock at 30 nets me something that feels like double the performance. Orbix Nor-Cal over SFO is as smooth as silk! Autogen and texures stay in focus to the horizon, all with no apparent I/o lag. I can fly an f-14 2 feet above the bay through a mosqutos &@($* at the speed of sound -blind folded!  ....incredible tweak!

Amazing, right??? The FFTF=0.001+Locked FPS is hands down the best thing that could've happened to my P3D. Hard to describe it, guys.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

0.001 does'nt work! Massive blurries and plenty of missing autogen.

I would never have believed that 0.01 would not have delivered the same result but there you go 1% instead of 10% works just fine leaving your processor with another 9% for FPS:-)

Edit: Watching the 2 synced together here I though the 0.01 was also smoother. This was particularly clear over the airport.

Do you guys agree?

FFTF=0.10:

http://youtu.be/zTLvnZI0cB0

FFtF=0.01:

http://youtu.be/p8U0IYO-r_4

Extremely low FFTF like 0.001 or 0.01 mean that you share only 1/1000 (or 1/100 respectively) of CPU per frame time for fiber actions. If your CPU is very fast these time fragments will be sufficient. But the slower the CPU is (or gets due to other tasks) the more one will see blurries and/or missing autogen.

I am still running my old PC system and here texture/autogen degradation is a problem.

In the end this test shows that it makes sense to have a very high potential PC, BUT at the same time config tweaking still seems to be necessary (or advantageous) to achieve better results (frame rates) in P3Dv2. Actually I hoped that "tweaking thing" would become a thing of the past and capable GPUs could make our day...

As I said before: the right frame rate number is less a question of quantity than a question of sustainability. And with highly demanding scenarios (scenery+weather) and complex A/Cs a stable framerate beyond 35 is an utopia.

So true, looks like tweaking lives on. On the hand a simmer ain't a simmer until he is tweaker;)

Personally I would just lock it 24 for a uniform experience.

Looks like everyone is getting amazing results.

@Funky did you just say Zero?

0.001 does'nt work! Massive blurries and plenty of missing autogen.I would never have believed that 0.01 would not have delivered the same result but there you go 1% instead of 10% works just fine leaving your processor with another 9% for FPS:-)

Dave, with 0.001, what was frame limit? I believe if you lower it gradually and test, the blurries will eventually go away. I think the 9% would be useful at the lower end.

I see now that I will give a go! That would be a massive performance bust and without the blurries associated with that value!

Trying it now.