Sign in to follow this  
nudata

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION

its not going to work in FSX!

Even on a very high end system

I beat you will see pretty bad blurries below FFTF=0.10

and on most system way sooner than that!

100% with you Duke. There is no question about it that FFTF=0 with the Appropriate locked FPS constitutes a significant performance increase for a few here in this thread.

In my case I have always used FFTF=0.10 in FSX and Prepar3D and found it helped smoothness. When I saw a post with FFTF=0.01 I thought it was a typo but was informed that it was not. Tried a few different setting over a couple of days as posted in this thread and I am certain that FFTF=0.01 at unlimited FPS has made a big difference on my system and not only to performance, It is also more VAS friendly than whatever the default setting is or FFTF=0.10 and so is unlocked FPS more VAS friendly.

Here is my first somewhat proper flight with these setting.

Note the greedy addons, the very high setting, the overcast ASN weather and the FPS and the astonishing absence the Ping of death and the OOM that would have been inevitable on the approuch everytime I tried to do this before. This time I make it all the way to the gate. The only thing that I forgot to do was to reset the flight which usually results in an OOM if it was imminent anyway.

If I had gone to the scenario screen and loaded a different flight or reset the same flight without getting an OOM that would have been very telling IMO:

If your settings are true, then this is absolutely astonishing. But for the sake of the community, answer these questions:

- Which other tweaks have you applied to your config? 

- What are your computer specs?

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

- Which other tweaks have you applied to your config?

- What are your computer specs?

LOL, I won't rise to the insinuation!

There are no other tweaks in the .cfg file unless an addon put other there.

The only manual entry is:

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01

I already added my specs to my profile and commented on it above:-)

LOL, I won't rise to the insinuation!

There are no other tweaks in the .cfg file unless an addon put other there.

The only manual entry is:

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01

I already added my specs to my profile and commented on it above:-)

Hehe, there's no such thing as withholding information in here.

Ok, so not even affinity mask or texturemaxload has been tampered with? To be honest, I did not experience any major significance with 0.01 and unlimited fps. I have a pretty solid rig but was stable on 15 fps with airbus extended, aerosoft gardemoen with heavy snows. Once up in the air I got a steady 25 fps, so maybe some improvement there. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Hehe, there's no such thing as withholding information in here.

I posted a graph of the comparative FPS with unlimited set in the P3D display setting:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/454792-fiber-frame-time-fraction/?p=3110439

It a little cluttered. No the difference between Not having FFTF in the .cfg at all and 0.01

The graph is a little cluttered but you can see the difference is substantial and 0.01 is about 10% better than

Whats working best for me is 0.001 with locked FPS, although I still get some areas with very slight blur. Is my card the limiting factor here?

Just to back up what others with success are posting here? -I don't really get the nay sayers, as this tweek is so simple to apply and try.

In terms of performance, nothing is "sacrificed" with the fiber swiitch

The ONLY tweek I'm running in the config is the "fiber" -mine is at zero, and

running the in-sim FPS limiter -mine is at 30

What I get with the tweek:

-double the minimum frame rates

-a fully immersive horizon to horizon landscape with the sharpest textures, LOD and autogen that seems to go beyond what is advertised

-clouds and fog don't seem to have an affect on performance  

-no input lag with the controllers ....despite using the ingame  fps limiter

-smooth rendering

This by far is the most important "tweak" I have ever used in my gaming career, it's like I doubled the rendering power of my puter by a factor of 2

its not going to work in FSX!
Even on a very high end system
I beat you will see pretty bad blurries below FFTF=0.10
and on most system way sooner than that!

That is true. For me everything below FFTF=0.15 in FSX will start the first visible texture blurries and autogen begins getting lost the more you lower that variable towards zero. P3D seems to behave different.

So thanks for all the testing! B) 

Well, I used FFTF=0.08 since a while and became curious to try 0.01 and 0.001 with unlocked FPS.

I always had very good results with 0.08 but it seems that 0.001 is slightly better. I'm talking about average FPS of 50 to 60 and with 0.001 I'm more often close to average FPS 60. Graphics are good, no blurries. I get the FPS counted by FSUIPC4.

I should add that I only fly with the Milviz 407 in rural areas of Alaska

Spirit

I have  DSR set at x2 -25%and FFTF 0.001 with unlimited frame.s set,these two mods seem to be the icing on the cake,they have improved the visuals of P3d v2.4 for me it looks sharper NO shimmering,looks like the tweaker,s are starting to work thier magic on P3d,thanks to the guy,s that posted thier ideas/views on DSR setting and FFTF they are both keeper,s for me,

I'm thinking the increase in FPS comes as a behalf on other things, like slow texture load for instance. I've noticed plenty of areas where textures uses up to 5 sec to load. Its the same as the Fiber Accelerator - you gain FPS but on expense of texture load. At least thats my experience and I've seen other talking about the same thing.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

There is no mystery with the setting. It simply allocates resources.  However, given two major factors the results and actual values will vary. Processing power (CPU & GPU) as well as addons that run currently with P3D. If it has no effect on your system do not embarrass yourself by making a public proclamation that it does not work Full Stop/Period.  It does work in some systems. Where it doesn't MAY be due to resources already max'd or the system has much more power than needed for the P3d and programs that are running. 

My system is at the maximum capability of my GTX 550 1gb video card. However, I "believe" that the 4.3ghz overclocked 2550K cpu may be the key IN MY SYSTEM. Core zero runs very heavy while others are around 50%. So there is some CPU juice available. Does the change take advantage of that - who knows and I don't really care.-

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

There is no mystery with the setting. It simply allocates resources.  However, given two major factors the results and actual values will vary. Processing power (CPU & GPU) as well as addons that run currently with P3D. If it has no effect on your system do not embarrass yourself by making a public proclamation that it does not work Full Stop/Period.  It does work in some systems. Where it doesn't MAY be due to resources already max'd or the system has much more power than needed for the P3d and programs that are running. 

My system is at the maximum capability of my GTX 550 1gb video card. However, I "believe" that the 4.3ghz overclocked 2550K cpu may be the key IN MY SYSTEM. Core zero runs very heavy while others are around 50%. So there is some CPU juice available. Does the change take advantage of that - who knows and I don't really care.-

I'm not making any proclamation, so just chill down. I am in fact very enthusiastic over this discovery, but I'm seeing slow texture load in my system. So, yes, I have to do more research, i.e experiment with more with locked FPS. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I'm not making any proclamation, so just chill down. I am in fact very enthusiastic over this discovery, but I'm seeing slow texture load in my system. So, yes, I have to do more research, i.e experiment with more with locked FPS. 

Right, try lowering the locked FPS and also try this:

[Display]
TEXTUREMAXLOAD=30

Edit: Where do you see the texture load delay? For me panning in Aerosoft Heathrow had no issues in spot view.

Here are frame-time plots from first 120s of FSMark11:

First FFTF=0.0 and Locked 30:

3s9masyw2pmathn6g.jpg

Next FFTF=0.001 Locked 30:

ydlpt617dww153x6g.jpg

And last No FFTF entry in cfg with Locked 30:

ooo4uo5cbe3oumg6g.jpg

These are frametimes, so high frametime=low FPS.

So essentially P3D has a tough time in maintaining locked FPS when no FFTF is given. With low FFTF (0 or 0.001) its pretty rock solid.

My settings are LOD=Ultra, rest sliders right. Complexity/Autogen=Dense.