Sign in to follow this  
ClearedtoLand

FSX Version for UUEE

I just bought the FSX version for UUEE (yeah, well done me for actually reading the part that said FS2004 here before commenting) and installed without opting for any of the VAS easing options. As soon as I have time, I will load the PMDG 777 there and do some circuits, I'll report on what I experience when I'm done.

I just bought the FSX version for UUEE (yeah, well done me for actually reading the part that said FS2004 here before commenting) and installed without opting for any of the VAS easing options. As soon as I have time, I will load the PMDG 777 there and do some circuits, I'll report on what I experience when I'm done.

Can you please post your review ASAP. Even though these sceneries always go on sale, I'd like to add UUEE during this sale.

I just picked up Tallinn X and it's just lovely! :P

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Can you please post your review ASAP. Even though these sceneries always go on sale, I'd like to add UUEE during this sale.

I just picked up Tallinn X and it's just lovely! :P

Jose

Hi Jose,

I am busy with the testing now, check back in an hour and a bit.

Tallinn? Don't tempt me, the wife is lurking around here somewhere :(

Ok, so this is my experience of UUEE for FSX. I installed the airport without ticking any of the go lite boxes offered at installation.

I tested the airport using the following three planes: PMDG 777-300ER, PMDG 737-800, and the default CRJ. Weather program used, ASN, I tested it at night only, so everything that follows applies to night textures.

First impressions, the airport is very detailed, although I wouldn't say it is quite as crisp in appearance as I would have hoped for. When taxiing around the airport with all three aircraft, frame rates were stable and quite smooth, and obviously a lot of work went into creating airport vehicles as there are a quite a few of those driving around. Two of them drove straight through the cockpit of my 737, but no harm was done, which just goes to show how realistic the PMDG 737 is compared to the real ones, even during a crash :P.

Humor aside though, this is a very resource hungry airport. Switching between external views and cockpit views, I found that both the PMDG 777 and 737 displayed delayed texture loading for the cockpit. In the 777, this was worse than in the 737, but to put that into perspective, I have never experienced delayed texture loading for the cockpit in my 737 (thank you PMDG and AVSIM set up guidelines). I do occasionally get it in the 777, but not for the duration that I had with UUEE.

When I attempted to request runway for departure, there was nothing. I don't mean no reply, just nothing, the ATC screen proceeded from request to acknowledge as if something had been said, but nothing had been said, neither by the controller nor by me, so subsequently, to find out which runway I was assigned, I had to use Progressive taxi to finish setting up my departures. This was the case for all three aircraft tested.

All three aircraft experienced freezes at various points during the flights. The 777 leading the way in number and duration, followed by the 737, and against all expectations, the CRJ experienced one as well. Overall, the 737 fared significantly better than the 777, although the 777 performance improved as I left behind UUEE. As part of the 777 flight, I did a low overfly over MDESIGN UUDD, as the airport came into view, I switched between cockpit and external view, but that didn't affect performance, although I noticed an increase in VAS usage but nothing significant. Something that leads to a freeze is ATC conversation between either my plane or AI traffic. It was during an ATC exchange between my plane and the controller that the CRJ froze up. Beyond ATC conversation, other causes of freezes were less obvious, but as is to be expected, interacting with the aircraft systems in the 777 and 737 would produce the occasional freeze up.

I have FSX set up to run with sliders closer to the right than to the left, and my AI traffic is at 70% for airline density, so I imagine bringing those down would ease some of the strain, however, again, I have never experienced this problem at any other airport, and I have landed a PMDG 777-200LR at FSDreamteam Los Angeles after a 17 hour flight from FlyTampa Dubai without a hiccup. I'd say that, as it stands, UUEE would be a nice airport to depart from, but I am not sure I would want to fly into it after a long haul flight on the 777. Of course, for curiosity, that is precisely what I will tonight to see how it responds, but given what I have experienced so far, I would not say that I am optimistic for it to end smoothly. Again, to put that into perspective, the system (Dell Alienware) that I have had for over a year now has never experienced an OOM, and I do not run things lite on it other than Max Texture load at 2048.

Overall, visually, an acceptable airport, but the ATC issue is odd, and the performance demands make for a very unpredictable destination. There are, however, options that you can select at installation which would give you a lite version, so if you want to get this one, it might not be a bad idea to tick those lite option boxes. As it stands, I wouldn't recommend this airport. I will give it a few more goes, but I can see myself uninstalling this one if no updates come along.

Any issues raised here which anyone feels is not likely to be related to or caused by scenery, I'd be happy to hear from you and discuss.

Ok, so this is my experience of UUEE for FSX. I installed the airport without ticking any of the go lite boxes offered at installation.

All three aircraft experienced freezes at various points during the flights. The 777 leading the way in number and duration, followed by the 737, and against all expectations, the CRJ experienced one as well. Overall, the 737 fared significantly better than the 777, although the 777 performance improved as I left behind UUEE. As part of the 777 flight, I did a low overfly over MDESIGN UUDD, as the airport came into view, I switched between cockpit and external view, but that didn't affect performance, although I noticed an increase in VAS usage but nothing significant. Something that leads to a freeze is ATC conversation between either my plane or AI traffic. It was during an ATC exchange between my plane and the controller that the CRJ froze up. Beyond ATC conversation, other causes of freezes were less obvious, but as is to be expected, interacting with the aircraft systems in the 777 and 737 would produce the occasional freeze

Any issues raised here which anyone feels is not likely to be related to or caused by scenery, I'd be happy to hear from you and discuss.

This freeze which is you mention, is it something like the sim freezes for few seconds?

I get such freezes while approaching the Airport.

This freeze which is you mention, is it something like the sim freezes for few seconds?

I get such freezes while approaching the Airport.

Yes, that is precisely the kind of freezes that I experienced as well. Since I never ventured too far away from the airport, I experienced the freezes regularly during the flights for the 777 and the 737.

Yes, that is precisely the kind of freezes that I experienced as well. Since I never ventured too far away from the airport, I experienced the freezes regularly during the flights for the 777 and the 737.

Thanks for the confirmation, it's an airport issues then. Too bad though, approaching the airport is a big pain with these freezes. I am on P3D, btw.

Thanks for the review. I'll wait for an update.

As it stands, I wouldn't recommend this airport.

I was awaiting your feedback on this after reading earlier posts on this developer. Thank you for that min-review.

Guess I'll give this a miss.

Thanks for the confirmation, it's an airport issues then. Too bad though, approaching the airport is a big pain with these freezes. I am on P3D, btw.

Confirmed. DD introduced a " SimObjectDisplayEngine.exe" for this airport; maybe this is the reason for the freezes?

Confirmed. DD introduced a " SimObjectDisplayEngine.exe" for this airport; maybe this is the reason for the freezes?

Hey, you may right. I have seen sometimes many instances of this exe running. I'll try by renaming it so that it does not run.

Anyone got any feedback on the performance of Tallinn? Am a little slow to go for DD again after the NY Airports debacle!

Bill

What does SimObjectDisplayEngine.exe actually do for DD airports?

After installing Tallinn X, the DOS window opens for a split second upon loading FSX.

Tallinn X is excellent. I was wondering what else is good from DD? I have Miami X and I'm considering Polish Airprts 3.

Anyone got any feedback on the performance of Tallinn? Am a little slow to go for DD again after the NY Airports debacle!

Bill

It's excellent on my system! Check my profile.